Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP reinstall

• 10-04-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need to reinstall Windows XP. Well I suppose I could get away with not doing it but it's gone so slow I can't do anything.

I've spent the day googling life and what I've come to the conclusion is that I am prepared to reinstall all the software I need, and even if that means I miss stuff okay. As I type, Documents and Settings is backing up on to an external drive. The critical software which I need and will reinstall afterwards is Photoshop Elements, Works Suite, Firefox, the network card, the modem software. I know that I'll have to redo security stuff and there'll be Windows updates as well.

But from what I can see, regardless of what I've read all day long, once I have backed up Documents and Settings, I could probably get away with formatting and and reinstalling from scratch and then just gradually catch up on the missing stuff - nuisance, but not difficult. So am I missing something terribly obvious? I know what software I run regularly and it's my priority to set up. If I miss stuff I can live with it or get around it provided I get a network connecton up and running - I'm pretty certain I'll have to reconfigure that from scratch anyway. So what am I missing?

Can I just do this and have done with it instead of messing around copying old versions of My Docs and creating new versions and recopying stuff too and from it? provided everything is on my external drive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Nope don't think your missing anything though just double check you didn't save any personal data outside of the My Documents folders. E-mail if it is in a local client like Outlook will need to be exported beforehand.

After the format and re-install of XP and your programs you can't simply copy the contents of documents and settings back over in one go as that will screw up Windows of course.

You will have to cherry pick your data which is not too difficult just copy the My Documents folder over and your favourites from IE if you used it.

(If you where willing to spend the time you could probably prune away the stuff that is slowing down your existing Windows install all it takes is some good maintenance to get it up to speed again)

Advertisement