Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the quadruple a formality?

• 10-04-2007 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

At this rate it looks like no team will be able to stand up to the mighty chelsea in their pursuit of league, fa cup and champions league glory,
    It will be might fine to see the possible three matches against man united which may decide all three remaining competitions, I believe they won as well tonight however;

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The game in the premiership wont decide it though, they will have to slip up somehwere along the line.

P.S 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

what do you mean p.s 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PlayStation 6 already? ;)

Nope it won't happen, Utd will win the Prem by a sqeek, Liverpool will see off Chelsea over two legs and Watford for the Cup.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Are you snorting something? No trophy is a 'formality' at this point - for anyone. Never mind four of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

Passport wrote:
    At this rate it looks like no team will be able to stand up to the mighty chelsea in their pursuit of league, fa cup and champions league glory,
    It will be might fine to see the possible three matches against man united which may decide all three remaining competitions, I believe they won as well tonight however;

i take you were watching chelsea game this evening.
    do me a favour and catch the Utd highlights later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Beans_On wrote:
    do me a favour and catch the Utd highlights later.

what he said :rolleyes:

United's performance tonight was far more convincing than anything i can remember a Mourinho side putting in over the past few years off the top of my head. it's only one performance i guess but still...

I put both tv's into the kitchen and watched both at the same time, so yes I saw the united match, I meant to be sarcastic(in my last comment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gotta be a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

adox wrote:
    Gotta be a troll.
    Agreed.

United will clinch the league. FA Cup could go either way IMO and I think Liverpool will beat them in the Champions League, thus setting up a final with United. :p It's a mouthwatering prospect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

United will beat Chelsea in all 3 remaining trophies.
    Mourinho will resign in disgrace.:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

besty wrote:
    Liverpool will beat them in the Champions League, thus setting up a final with United. :p It's a mouthwatering prospect!
    I don't think the CL final will work out that way. I have a bad feeling about the Chelsea semi IF Liverpool manage to see of PSV later. With Joe Cole getting back to full fitness, I think Chelsea could get to the final this year. Hope not, but I think they will.

I think Utd will falter in the semis against Milan or Bayern.

The EPL is still not decided but I think Utd will win the FA cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Lex Luthor wrote:
    II think Utd will falter in the semis against Milan or Bayern.

I don't understand how you could say this given Milan are not the team they once were and Bayern are nothing special and Utd just beat the second best team in Italy 7-1. These sort of thought just defy all logic.

I'm expecting a Utd Chelsea final in both the CL and the FA Cup and just as it looked like the scales had tipped in Chelsea's favour, last night has tipped them back in Utd's imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

well according to ITV sport and the way they were talking last night the champions league is a formality for man utd for the next 10 years!! time for everyone else to start re-building :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Schevchenko seems to be hitting form, which shold worry the others, but I can't see united losing the league now.

from a neutral's point of view, the cups should be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Cups could go either way, League might come down to the wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I truly thought the Mancs had the PL sown up a couple of weeks ago . But their performance against Pompey was dire.

Then last night they really did something amazing .

I would love to see the Blues win all 4 trophies ..... but truly .. I don't think Manure will slip up any more , they will win the PL on goal difference ( having lost to Chelsea in early May )

The CL is a different prospect. Chelsea's performance last night was as good as I have seen them for a while . BUT Essien being out could be the decider .
    I really don't know how that will pan out......

As for the FAC .....wouldn't the FA have egg on their faces if the first FA cup final at the new Wembley was Watford Vs Blackburn :-) Ill be honest I really can't get excited by the FAC now with the possibility of greater things.... oh how things change in 1997 I thought the FAC was the greatest thing ever :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I don't understand how you could say this given Milan are not the team they once were and Bayern are nothing special and Utd just beat the second best team in Italy 7-1. These sort of thought just defy all logic.

Let's not get carried away. Serie A is an unmitigated shambles this year, weaker than the French league. Last night was an extraordinary performance by Man Utd against a side that came out nervous and had a "Macedonia".

OP, there are no formalities in football so long as there is an opponent.

MU for the Prem, Chelsea for the CL. My predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That said, Roma are the team that are 15 points ahead of Milan, which in reality is 7 points (I think it was an 8 point deduction). Also Milan have Ronaldo in the league, not in the CL.
    Milan are a weakened team, Bayern are what, with players injured tonight, incl Sagnol and Hargreaves, could well go out, but even if they stay in, are what, 4th in the league.

United should beat either of those two, and if they don't, they will be at fault. Is there any Chelsea/Liverpool fan who wouldn't prefer to play Bayern/Milan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

what he said :rolleyes:

United's performance tonight was far more convincing than anything i can remember a Mourinho side putting in over the past few years off the top of my head. it's only one performance i guess but still...

I'm a United fan and still buzzing after last night but its pointless to write off Chelsea. Their performance was different to ours but just as impressive. They came back from a goal down in the Mestella to win. They are extremely hard to beat and as much as I buzzed about last night, Roma were dead long before the game finished.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd be surprised if United blow the league at this stage, but it certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Should Chelsea beat United in the league then United are only really one error away from letting the Blues in. Personally I reckon Chelsea will draw a game they need to win and the league run-in will be a total anti-climax.

Chelsea are my pick for the Champions League though. I don't think Liverpool will be able to do it again to them in the semis and whoever faces them in the final will be edged out. FA cup though, I don't know. Probably a United double and a Chelsea double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

As said on another thread United will win the league by 3 points. A draw at stamford bridge will effectively win it.

Scousers to beat chelski in the CL and set up the biggest final in years against United.

If all that happens Im not really bothered about the FA Cup. Jose can have his last little bit of glory before the big russian security men show him the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

stovelid wrote:
    I'm a United fan and still buzzing after last night but its pointless to write off Chelsea. Their performance was different to ours but just as impressive. They came back from a goal down in the Mestella to win. They are extremely hard to beat and as much as I buzzed about last night, Roma were dead long before the game finished.

i know what yer saying and i don't mean to say what chelsea did wasn't impressive, it's always impressive the way you can never rule chelsea out, but United didn't even give Roma a chance to get in the game, whereas Valencia were always in that game til Essiens goal went in. People keep saying how crap Roma were, but imo we didn't get a chance to see whether they were good or bad because United just annilated them and won the game inside 30mins. i mean Roma still scored an unbelievable goal, so they can't have been that bad?

United did last night what Chelsea have been doing for the past 3 years, by harrying the opposition, closing them done before they even get a chance to build up momentum, and imposing themselves on Roma. but added to that United played some of the best attacking football the champions league has ever witnessed (in the years i've been watching it at least). they displayed an ability to tear a team apart beyond that of Chelsea imo, that's why i think United's achievement last night is more impressive than Chelsea's.

you can never rule Chelsea out, but if United can repeat this performance (a big if really i suppose) then surely Chelsea would be the ones on the back foot for the rest of the season?

Edit: and i have no real affiliations with any team, i just want to see good attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Passport wrote:

Jeesus!!! I'm a chelsea fan and i wish i had that confidence!!!!

LONG LONG LONG way to go ....

very hard matches ahead.. Liverpool, Blackburn SF (lets not underestimate them!!)
    the gap may be 3 points but I think united proved against Roma that when they need a win .. they WIN !! .. i wouldn't be surprised if they beat us at the bridge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Chelsea win all 3 remaining? nah. They might win 1 of them at most. United will win the League. F.A cup could go either way. Champions league.... If United beat A.C it depends on who wins the other semi. If livepool win then United will win the cup. If Chelsea win I can see them beating United in the Final. If AC milan are in the final theyll lose either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

evad_lhorg wrote:
    If livepool win then United will win the cup.

i dont see how that makes any sense. if liverpool beat chelsea then its a foregone conclusion united will beat pool?

i dont buy it to be honest, i think any of then 3 of them could beat any of the others on their day. eg. liverpool were much better then united at anfield, united could easily face a team that could finish one of their many many scoring chances come the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Passport wrote:
    No. End thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

~Rebel~ wrote:
    i dont see how that makes any sense. if liverpool beat chelsea then its a foregone conclusion united will beat pool?

i dont buy it to be honest, i think any of then 3 of them could beat any of the others on their day. eg. liverpool were much better then united at anfield, united could easily face a team that could finish one of their many many scoring chances come the final.

I think you're mixing up a fact with someone's opinion, get over it, someone thinks the team you support will lose to another team, oh noes.

One step closer today, although they were far from their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Yes it is, Chelsea are amazing, end of story, ANY other team loses players like Terry and Cech for 9 games overlapping and it's a mid table finish, Chelse are hitting form at the right time, Manyoo may have won 7-1 against Roma, but you've got to admit Roma laid down and died in that match, Chelseas' 2-1 win over Valencia was much more impressive, because Valencia are a good team and were possible contenders for the trophy too.

Cast your minds back to '98-'99 when Chelsea were 4 points clear at the top of the league in March with a game in hand, they still drew 3 bankers and ended up third at the finish and Manyoo went on to lift 3 trophies, Manyoo got all the toughest draws in all competitions and still won and deserved it, this is looking kind of similar, only Chelsea are in the opposite position, I'm not a superstitious man but, it would be uncanny. And I've seen uncanny in football many times.

Manyoo must win all their remaining fixtures, because if they draw once, the league will go to the bridge, because you just don't beat Chelsea at the bridge.

Liverpool will not be awarded phantom goals twice.

Manyoo will be feeling very angry about the league when it comes to the FA cup final and will slip up.

Milan/Manyoo in the CL final? Who cares, two great teams, but if your gonna be crowned kings of europe you have to beat the best, and we've defeated Barca & Valencia so far this year, Milan or Manyoo would be great scalps to take on the way to glory, and I hope it's Manyoo. To lift 3 trophies out of your hands like so much candy from babies would be sweeter than a sugary kiss from the worlds most beautiful woman!

Sincerely though, Good luck to 'Pool and Manyoo fans in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

astrofool wrote:
    I think you're mixing up a fact with someone's opinion, get over it, someone thinks the team you support will lose to another team, oh noes.

what? someone stated man u would beat liverpool in a final, i said i dont think its that simple and i think it could go either way.

This is a public forum board, i thought the idea was that people post things and others offer their opinions on them..its not like i jumped around and said "no way , liverpool would definately win!" just that any of them could beat the others on their day, i would have said the same had it been any of those teams the poster was talking about, because its true. Any of them COULD win on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

DerKaiser wrote:
    Yes it is, Chelsea are amazing, end of story, ANY other team loses players like Terry and Cech for 9 games overlapping and it's a mid table finish, Chelse are hitting form at the right time, Manyoo may have won 7-1 against Roma, but you've got to admit Roma laid down and died in that match, Chelseas' 2-1 win over Valencia was much more impressive, because Valencia are a good team and were possible contenders for the trophy too.

Cast your minds back to '98-'99 when Chelsea were 4 points clear at the top of the league in March with a game in hand, they still drew 3 bankers and ended up third at the finish and Manyoo went on to lift 3 trophies, Manyoo got all the toughest draws in all competitions and still won and deserved it, this is looking kind of similar, only Chelsea are in the opposite position, I'm not a superstitious man but, it would be uncanny. And I've seen uncanny in football many times.

Manyoo must win all their remaining fixtures, because if they draw once, the league will go to the bridge, because you just don't beat Chelsea at the bridge.

Manyoo will be feeling very angry about the league when it comes to the FA cup final and will slip up.

Milan/Manyoo in the CL final? Who cares, two great teams, but if your gonna be crowned kings of europe you have to beat the best, and we've defeated Barca & Valencia so far this year, Milan or Manyoo would be great scalps to take on the way to glory, and I hope it's Manyoo. To lift 3 trophies out of your hands like so much candy from babies would be sweeter than a sugary kiss from the worlds most beautiful woman!

Sincerely though, Good luck to 'Pool and Manyoo fans in the coming weeks.

That's not how I remember it?

I honestly can't recall Chelsea being in that position as late as March - are you sure that's correct:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Someone made a point earlier about Man United winning when they really have to win. I don't know about that, but I think it's worth pointing out that Chelsea are quite prone to choking when the pressure is really on. Sure, they've won two Premierships in a row, but those titles were won early- and mid-season when there was little pressure on them to win games. I'm thinking Champions League versus Liverpool and Barcelona, or Liverpool again in the FA Cup. Yes, Chelsea have an unbelievable ability to win games late on, but the very fact that they find themselves in the position of having to win games late on so often proves they are vulnerable.

With five/six massive, big-pressure games to play if they are to win the quadruple (two vs Liverpool plus the final, United and arguably Arsenal in the Premiership and the FA Cup final), they'd have to overcome that tendency. I doubt they can.

Personally, I doubt Liverpool can beat Chelsea over two legs so I reckon they'll be in the Champions League final. Of that and the FA Cup final, I think they'll win one. And given that the Chelsea game will be Arsenal's last big game of a fruitless season, it could prove a banana-skin for Chelsea. They're bound to draw against either Arsenal or United.

Thus, Man United for the FA Cup and Premiership, Chelsea for the Champions League. You heard it here first. Well, probably not first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

DerKaiser wrote:

Well seeing as everyones playing silly buggers. Pool looking forward to beating Chelsea in the semi final and a repeat of the 05 final against Milan. Try this one on for size.

as in 99, Utd win an Fa Cup Semi at Villa Park, after going out of the Worthless cup before xmas. We hold a narrow lead coming into the last few games of the season, against the london club who won the league the season before. We beat an Italian team in the CL quarter final, winning the tie with the game at home, but still managing to score away from home. We face another Italian team in the Semi final.

Quadruple a formality? Only been watching football since Abramovic took over? I realise every team attracts it's share of gobsh*tes. But with 6 league games, an FA cup final and two CL semi finals anyone that thinks the outcome is a formality. . . .. well they're certainly leaving themselves in the running for gob****e of the year award, whatever way the results pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As a United fan I've loved their football of late but Chelsea's ability to grab late goals is incredible. You can never write them off. I'm very worried that Mourinho will spoil Utd's party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

As a United fan I've loved their football of late but Chelsea's ability to grab late goals is incredible. You can never write them off. I'm very worried that Mourinho will spoil Utd's party.

Well we've got form for getting late goals as well (it's our patent), plus the fact that we play football the Utd way. None of this Billionaires Wimbledon rubbish. Anyway, there's a school of thought that said Utd have to have someone push them to the wire like Arsenal did in 99. So enjoy the football (ours that is) endure theirs because they don't play the Utd way. When was the last time you heard their crowd chanting attack, attack, attack, attack, attack like we did in the late 90's and recently? With Mourinhos team it's defend, defend, defend, defend, defend and hoof the ball up the field hoping that Drogba beats the offiside trap.

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote:
    That's not how I remember it?

I honestly can't recall Chelsea being in that position as late as March - are you sure that's correct:confused:

Yes I'm quite sure, Manyoo! won the league by 4 points after Chelse collapsed in the last few weeks, even 3rd place Arsenal overtook us

Well seeing as everyones playing silly buggers. Pool looking forward to beating Chelsea in the semi final and a repeat of the 05 final against Milan. Try this one on for size.

as in 99, Utd win an Fa Cup Semi at Villa Park, after going out of the Worthless cup before xmas. We hold a narrow lead coming into the last few games of the season, against the london club who won the league the season before. We beat an Italian team in the CL quarter final, winning the tie with the game at home, but still managing to score away from home. We face another Italian team in the Semi final.

Quadruple a formality? Only been watching football since Abramovic took over? I realise every team attracts it's share of gobsh*tes. But with 6 league games, an FA cup final and two CL semi finals anyone that thinks the outcome is a formality. . . .. well they're certainly leaving themselves in the running for gob****e of the year award, whatever way the results pan out.

Oh ho ho! Don't start with the glory hunter tag mate, been following Chelsea since I got into Club footie around '93 when Chelse were struggling to win matches let alone trophies, when did u start following Manyoo!? around the same time I'll bet, when they were winning stuff. GLORY HUNTER!!!!!!!!!And as for buying the league, who won the league in '91? Leeds. Who came 2nd. Manyoo!. What was the difference? Eric Cantona. Who did Manyoo! buy in the summer? Eric Cantona. Who won the league in '92? Manyoo! Who has a perrenial history of buying the league? Manyoo!

Well we've got form for getting late goals as well (it's our patent), plus the fact that we play football the Utd way. None of this Billionaires Wimbledon rubbish. Anyway, there's a school of thought that said Utd have to have someone push them to the wire like Arsenal did in 99. So enjoy the football (ours that is) endure theirs because they don't play the Utd way. When was the last time you heard their crowd chanting attack, attack, attack, attack, attack like we did in the late 90's and recently? With Mourinhos team it's defend, defend, defend, defend, defend and hoof the ball up the field hoping that Drogba beats the offiside trap.

Sun reader, am I right?
    You're gonna see what good football really is in these next few "finals"
    don't be too bitter if playing football the "Manyoo!plc" way leaves you empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No

I hate when that happens;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

bet you were wating all week to do that muppet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was wondering who was going to drag this up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It had to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Looks like the balance of power has moved away from the London clubs for now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Anyone else feel for Chelsea? Obviously some weird stuff going on at the club and they've done quite well this season when they were obviously not playing very well. Some dramatic last minuter winners showed great character in the team but I can't help feeling their dominance period has passed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Savman wrote:
    Anyone else feel for Chelsea? Obviously some weird stuff going on at the club and they've done quite well this season when they were obviously not playing very well. Some dramatic last minuter winners showed great character in the team but I can't help feeling their dominance period has passed...

why would you "feel" for them?

ntlbell wrote:
    why would you "feel" for them?
    Cos I'm human? Cos I've known the heartache of losing in a semi final? Cos football is an emotional game? I dunno, why would I?
    Not every football fan hates every other team or is glad to see them fail. I respect Chelsea, like every other side and its a pity to see class players like John Terry cryin like a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Savman wrote:
    Cos I'm human? Cos I've known the heartache of losing in a semi final? Cos football is an emotional game? I dunno, why would I?
    Not every football fan hates every other team or is glad to see them fail. I respect Chelsea, like every other side and its a pity to see class players like John Terry cryin like a baby.

If Chelsea went out after putting in 110% and played out of their skins then I would feel for them.

When you have a squad worth over 500m with the talent Chelsea posess and go out with no heart no want and don't give even 50% never mind 100% then you have no reason to cry, what he should of done was berate every player around him including Mr.Lampard this is not the first time he's been left wanting and gone missing in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

As much fun as it is to laugh at Chelsea, is every thread that criticised United or predicted their demise over the past month or two gonna be dragged up now by smug united supporters?

ntlbell wrote:
    If Chelsea went out after putting in 110% and played out of their skins then I would feel for them.

When you have a squad worth over 500m with the talent Chelsea posess and go out with no heart no want and don't give even 50% never mind 100% then you have no reason to cry, what he should of done was berate every player around him including Mr.Lampard this is not the first time he's been left wanting and gone missing in big games.
    What about the dozens of times Lampard has saved their bacon? It wouldnt be totally unreasonable to suggest the goings on at the club have affected the players, from what I hear Terry & Lampard are stalling on new contracts cos they wanna see how Mourinho's situation pans out. There has to be unrest in the camp, Robben also came out around Xmas complaining about not being in the team so it seems like a sinking ship with some similarities to West Ham.
    With that in mind, to do what they have done deserves credit. This thread was discussing their chances of doing the quadruple, now they have to face United in the FA Cup, failing that all they have to show is a Carling Cup. Talk about fallen giants, yes I feel for them esp those who have given their all (I exclude Sheva).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As much fun as it is to laugh at Chelsea, is every thread that criticised United or predicted their demise over the past month or two gonna be dragged up now by smug united supporters?

Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head! United supporters are generally smug ,self centered and begrude others success.

Have I opened a can of worms .. .:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement