Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing:Made a big mistake?

Options
  • 10-04-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

I think I've made a huge mistake. Was doing some work on easter saturday, putting in a waste pipe. The problem was I needed to join a 40mm to a 100mm sewer pipe below ground. I used a strap on boss to enter the sewer pipe from the side, which wasnt that tight. Theres no way it was air tight. So I did up a lean sand cement mix and encased the lot in it before covering with the membrane, insulation, steel, and after, the concrete floor. I am very worried about this turning into a nightmare problem a year down the road with waste and smells etc coming up from somewhere. What to do?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

It seems from what you have done you are worrying necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Yeah I'm very worried, but theres also the chance it'll be fine. I suppose what I'm looking for, like a child testing the water, is for someone to either condemn me or tell me everythings fine. 2 problems I can see are toilet roll etc getting caught in the incoming 40mm hole eventually blocking it, and the other one of a leakage. I went into a plumbers providers and explained what I needed to do to the sales guy and the strap on boss was the best he could come up with. In hindsight I should have put on a Y fitting with a reducer to take the smaller pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

awishawash wrote:
    I think I've made a huge mistake. Was doing some work on easter saturday, putting in a waste pipe. The problem was I needed to join a 40mm to a 100mm sewer pipe below ground. I used a strap on boss to enter the sewer pipe from the side, which wasnt that tight. Theres no way it was air tight. So I did up a lean sand cement mix and encased the lot in it before covering with the membrane, insulation, steel, and after, the concrete floor. I am very worried about this turning into a nightmare problem a year down the road with waste and smells etc coming up from somewhere. What to do?:(

There are specific rules on where you can hook into a soil pipe. The Homebond book gives good examples of where to and where not to.

Depending on where the vent for the soil pipe is you may have problems with the water seal on your 40mm clearing each time a toilet is flushed and then the smell comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

I'll have to have a better look at that homebond book. The index in its a disaster. Either way I reckon I'm on the jackhammer.

Advertisement