Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council

Options
  • 10-04-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Opinions? Anyone? Apologies for posting this on the other thread, didn't know it wasn't allowed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Filled in the original form, heard nothing back.
    Filled in another form. Heard nothing.

If they EVER have the cheek (as rumoured) to ask me for money to register, I'll let them know where to stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They won't ask for money, they will probably just take it before you get it.
    Did you know that in next 3 years, each teacher will have to show they have undergone certain hours on professional inservice each year e.g. nighttime courses etc!
    Total shower...............

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, what exactly is the problem with the Teaching Council?

Is it not correct to say they are the regulators of the teaching profession and therefore are obliged to maintain standards of education? Is that not A Good Thing?

From reading the council's website, it looks like they mention competence once or twice - am I correct in assuming all teachers will now have to reach a certain standard, therefore improving education for all?

I'm not trying to stir it up here, I'm actually intrigued by the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

The council itself is made up of a lot of educational academics who know a lot about eduactional theory and stuff but probly can't really relate to teaching at ground level....Is not exactly a service for teachers more a regulatory body & it aims to raise teaching profile to that of other professions like Medicine and law with the Medical and Bar? councils.......(So I was taught by a now teaching council executive member!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, what exactly is the problem with the Teaching Council?

Is it not correct to say they are the regulators of the teaching profession and therefore are obliged to maintain standards of education? Is that not A Good Thing?
    The council itself is made up of a lot of educational academics who know a lot about eduactional theory and stuff but probly can't really to teaching at ground level...

To be honest, Slick has hit it on the head. It might not start out with such people, but as in all professions, it ends up being run by accountants and HR people rather than footsoldiers who know whats going on on the ground.

Look at England even - their Ofsted is pretty much run by management types, trying to define good teachers by hours done, courses completed, lesson plans filled etc - rather than teaching.

Its the bad side of accountability really:(

...Oh, btw, we are sooo going down the same track as England wrt Ofsted - only thing is, England started 25 years ahead of us, and now they are screaming for people to become teachers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Not saying I don't agree with any of the criticisms but I have to point out that Ofsted are very different to the General teaching Council of England.
    Ofsted inspect standards, the Teaching Council regulates those allowed to teach.
    In fact didn't Ofsted criticise the English Teaching Council for allowing teachers to work in subjects they are not qualified for?

Re the In service/CPD, the idea of the minimum time for CPD is not that it's a compulsion for teachers but for employers/schools. I'm in the UK and I work on a minimum of 35 hours a year CPD and I find it's pretty good. You can discuss it with your head and request relevant course to be sent on etc.
    I don't feel under any pressure as all the pressure is on the school to provide it. I'd say out of the 35, the school provide 25 to 30 and I would provide the rest through additonal reading, watching Teachers's TV, observing other teachers try out new ideas etc.
    Really I have to do very little and the 25 to 30 hours provided by the school is done during the school hours on I
    n service days.
    I hope the Teaching Council put a similiar onus on the employer to enable this requirement during the working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Competence is the word and they expect it from us teachers which is a good thing but they are not exactly getting their own set up very well. Also they are going to introduce things but the media knows about them before us e.g. last month big stuff announced by them yet no teacher has of yet gotten this announcement either in school or personally.
    They need to prove their own conpetence first.
    Lastly, as with every public body, I am sceptical of some of the appointments in a "jobs for the boys" type of way.

Advertisement