Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Neighbors are passing but I'm Not.

Options
  • 10-04-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I fail the line checker every time.

I recently put a few of my neighbors numbers into the gov's line checker and it passes them. Now, three of the few I tested are exactly across the road from me, why aren't I passing?

Their numbers are all the same as mine except for the last two digits. We are all on the same exchange. I'm baffled to say the lest.

Could anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Your line could very well be split, that was a big problem with people trying to get broadband a few years a go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dean820 wrote:
    I fail the line checker every time.

I recently put a few of my neighbors numbers into the gov's line checker and it passes them. Now, three of the few I tested are exactly across the road from me, why aren't I passing?

Their numbers are all the same as mine except for the last two digits. We are all on the same exchange. I'm baffled to say the lest.

Could anyone help me out?

Where are you based as a matter of interest? Do you have any extra stuff plugged in apart from your phone? Anything unusual in your internal phone wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

If my line was split, how could I fix it?

I'm based in Whites Cross, Cork. I am on the Carrignavar exchange.

I have nothing plugged else apart from my phone plugged in.

I haven't noticed anything unusual in the phone wiring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

it could be old wiring, its not uncommon. just because the exchange is live doesn't mean eeryone can get bb. your best bet is to *sigh* ring eircom and see what they say. often getting a new line off them solves the problem. However, they have told people in the past that getting a new line means your contracted for 12months, this is false as contracts for voice services require a Broadband contract. So if it is the wiring then I'd suggest a new line but that you choose your phone provider and not just get eircom cause its offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd still think that it's more likely a pairgain that's causing this, unless you are a decent distance from the exchange. But if you get in contact with eircom and pressurise them for a proper answer, not the usual random excuses, they'll do some testing for you.

If it's the case of bad wiring, it's possible it will show up on a voice line test as a minor short circuit which is attenuating the DSL frequencies or some other sort of fault. But you would need to complain to eircom about "intermittent crackling" etc. before they would test that.

But eircom are the people to talk to in this situation. They'll know the main reason for the fail. And if they give you a PFO or ignore you, talk to IrelandOffline and they may be able to help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

easy peasy, whats the OPs dialup speed ????

if above 33k its not split or pairgained , merely substandard in some way .

that could be internal wiring or external wiring or both .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Thanks for all the responses, lads.

Well I just rang up Eircom, I told him the situation about how most of my neighbors were passing and how I wasn't. He typed my number into his big computer, he said they failed my line because it wasn't good enough quality for BB. I asked him what can I do to fix this, he then told I need a new line (costing 120 euro). He said they should fix the problem, he couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem though.

How long do I have to wait for a new line? And can I keep my old number?

I need my the number I have now for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's the kind of bull****e you'd expect from eircom's frontline staff, who have absolutely no details to hand as to why a line is failing or not.

If you want, log a complaint on eircom.ie detailing how all your neighbours lines pass the test for broadband yet yours does not and that you demand an explanation for this. Also, send a copy of the email to ComReg and ask ComReg to help settle the matter with eircom. Their email address is consumerline@comreg.ie. Explain how you need broadband for business.

No one should have to pay €127 because of eircom's incompetency. It's very rare that a line would fail because of work a householder did. Most internal wiring I've seen has been done by a past eircom/TÉ engineer. The time and expense involved is unreasonable. The delay can vary widely for a new line, depending on site conditions. It shouldn't take that long but it's still messy and there's often drilling and stuff like that done, which isn't nice.

SB, I've seen one line connect at 14 K despite not being connected to a pairgain. Extremely poor internal wiring was the cause (installed by TÉ funnily enough). I have seen modems connect at 24k simply because of their age, even though the line passed for broadband since 2002. The only sure-fire way is to pressurise eircom to do something about it.

Advertisement