Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feck - 3 BB addon

• 11-04-2007 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

So I bought a Sony Ericcson K610i, Pre Pay, today, and with the 10 euro credit that came with it I bought the 250mb data addon so I could use the mobile as a modem for an upload steam in my one way satellite broadband setup.

I used the software that came with the phone to create a dailup connection which connects to the net, but when I request a page, eg google.ie, my browser prompts me to download a WAP version of the site.

And all traffic seems to be going through a 3ireland proxy. I tried to access a random website and was presented with the age verification notice.

I only realized that 3 have very few stores around the country when I looked it up on they're site, I live in Carlow and the nearest would be Waterford or Dublin.

So basically I turns out that using your mobile as a modem, on 3Pay at least, is a pile of ****e.

Bill pay doesn't use the proxy right? An absolute direct connection to the net?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 couldn't get the broadband add on working for me on postpay either. Last I heard they said these problems were due to the fact that they're still so new, and they're hoping to have them ironed out in a few months. They also said something about a conflict with their security settings, and because they're still new, they're still learning how to set up a mobile network so it works (paraphrasing).

Seemed like a load of bull to me.

My suggestion is to return the phone for a full refund until they get their network problems sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I'm on bill pay with a mobile broadband add on and after one week I have yet to connect sucessfully. Any attempts to access the internet terminate at a page inviting me to purchase mobile broadband or the infamous 'Oops' page.

The strange thing is that POP mail works no problem.

Three tell me that it is a port in problem or a general technical problem depending on who I talk to.

They're driving me nuts....

With customer service like this, is it any wonder 3 have barely managed to get only 1.6% of the market? Once O2 come out with a useful line-up of data services, which in my opinion is only a matter of time, things are going to look even worse for 3, unless they learn fast. They've already got what's probably the best customer service. Once they tie that in with attractive data offerings, do you really think anybody is going to sign up with 3 anymore?

In the future, we will still spend the same on our mobile service. The difference is going to be that we're going to get more minutes and extra services (like data) as well. Okay, I should quit rambling. I don't even know why I'm still up. Have a good night everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I had similar problems with getting the BB up and running.

Phones customer services on Sat. afternoon and was informed that my number porting hadn't gone through when the BB package was added, and that he would remove it then add it back on once the porting had been complete

Within 2hrs I was up and running...

Haven't tried the phone as a modem yet - but haven't had any problems getting proper web sites up on the phone (apart from the usual ones of can't fit, etc :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Right so I brought back the phone and got a full refund and got a bill pay one instead, with the 250mb addon

Connected it to the computer and used the network connect wizard to create a new dial up connection. And it works perfectly. Type in a url and it goes straight to it, no arsing around with the 3ireland proxy.

And it's working with my skyDSL satallite too.

3 are the greatest company ever!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Well that's good to hear! I have absolutely no issues with my 3 Ireland broadband SIM and cannot wait to fire it up in my HSDPA-enabled *N95* arriving tomorrow! :-)))))))))

And it's working with my skyDSL satallite too.

Explain, prithee.

I have skyDSL one way satallite broadband (30 euro/month) and the reason for getting this phone is a replacement for my dail up which I was using as my upload.

By using a moble for my upload, it gets rid of the cost per minute that dail up has, so I have unlimited, unmetered broadband in a very rural area where no other form of broadband is available, and all for only 40 a month. (well plus 20 for the 100 talktime mins but thats almost a seperate deal).

Just out of interest, I keep checking "my usage" in My 3 but my data bundle does not seem to be decreasing even though I've been using it, I hope they're not charging me by the Kilobyte. Any way to check this?

I have the impression that it is updated every 24 hours at around 00:10, so proceed parsimoniously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Have you this connected up to a pc, or a mac, if it is a pc how have you setup the connection with the mobile

• Advertisement

Is your query addressed to me or Micky McTosis, the previous poster? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm getting an N95 and I'm confused now about whether to get a pre-pay phone from three or a bill-pay as I want the mobile broadband. The prepay is useful for hedging bets on whether or not O2 will release a good 3G package or not.

If the mobile broadband works ok on 3pay then that suits me - but some people don't seem to have it working ok on post-pay never mine prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Well prepay is grand if you want to use it on the phone but if you want to hook it up to a laptop I think there are problems because everything goes through a proxy on prepay. Also you cannot access https sites either and therefore many applications do not work.

Have you this connected up to a pc, or a mac, if it is a pc how have you setup the connection with the mobile

It's on a PC

I have a Sony Ericcson K610i which came with software that creates the connection automatically.

But the main config would be
    Username and Password = blank, ie nothing
    Number to Dial = *99#
    APN = 3Ireland.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Sorry to bring this topic back up but i just vertified my age today so i could use 3bb on the computer... and im on 3pay... goes through a proxy and trys to make me download a wap page :mad: is there a way to get it to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sorry to bring this topic back up but i just vertified my age today so i could use 3bb on the computer... and im on 3pay... goes through a proxy and trys to make me download a wap page :mad: is there a way to get it to work?

Not a chance with 3pay. It's useless. You need billpay for it to work.

You are better off getting the 3DataModem if you want to use it with the computer, or wait for O2. 3Pay addon does not work and when it does produces garbled pages that download slower than dialup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ah thats crap they could make it work if they wanted... assholes just want people to buy the datamodem i just wanted to use it cause my other connection was down... thank god its back

Ah thats crap they could make it work if they wanted... assholes just want people to buy the datamodem i just wanted to use it cause my other connection was down... thank god its back

Quite honestly I have no idea. Considering that the 3DataModem is subsidised, you would think that they would prefer people to pay the monthly rate on their ordinary phone without receiving any subsidised hardware...

Advertisement