Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Arts and Languages

• 11-04-2007 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm just wondering if anybody has had the same problem as me with DIT.

I did my Leaving Cert in 2005 and was accepted into Media Arts in DIT. It wasn't until registration that I was told I'd have to do a language.

There was ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of a foreign language in the prospectus. I remember specifically because the reason I didn't apply for the Journalism course was because it was "Journalism with a language".

In the lead up to filling in my CAO I did a lot of research into different courses. I emailed DIT asking for a more comprehensive break down of the Media Arts course and they just sent me out the same Faculty of Applied Arts booklet that I had already. THE ONE THAT DID NOT MENTION THAT THERE WAS A LANGUAGE MODULE.

I failed my German exams and am now taking a year out. The ladies in the office disagreed with me when I said that there was no mention of a language module in the course discription. When I got home to Tipperary I found the booklet and re read the discription and yes, I was right, it doesn't mention it AT ALL. It says that language skills are a bonus, but that is all.

I've since reapplied to the CAO, this time putting Communications Studies in DCU as my first choice. I spoke to the course co-ordinator and read a FULL BREAKDOWN of the modules online and in the prospectus. I am confident that there won't be any nasty surprises this year.

I want to make sure that anybody who applies to DIT knows how unprofessional and misleading they are.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

thats pretty bent, i was actually looking at that course recently... didnt really like it for other reasons, but jeez good thing i didnt apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Hah hah Nail Biter, I was probably in your class... but on the other side of the room in the evil Journalism corner.

I always got the impression that the whole language thing was just taken as a bonus since ye only had the two classes etc.

That's pretty crappy alright, there were a good few of ye doing German and then it just seemed to drift off unfortunately... it got to the stage when there'd be about 2 of us in the class, which is pretty horrible when it's Jill going on a mad one. :)

That is pretty dodgey though. Other legendary screw ups include accepting two or three students into the journalism course with Spanish, and only on the induction day did they say "there's not enough of you, you'll have to do German, French or Irish". Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 -Nail-Biter-

Haha Frankie ya wee legend ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Indeed, and to respect the magical faceless world of boards.ie I'm gonna pm ya to find out who you are :p .

I'm guessing though that you may have given me free popcorn though yeah? :D

Advertisement