Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor - Limit on which countries you can call?

• 11-04-2007 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I am on their pre pay service which I find excellent. I noticed that it is impossible to call some numbers abroad, eg a mobile in Liechtenstein. You always get network busy. But the same call will work from Vodafone prepay no problems first time.

Is this just a meteor policy not to allow calls to certain countries? It is not network problems in my area as you can call anywhere else straight away and it works, go back to the Liechtenstein number and network busy.

Just curious tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Bond-007 wrote:
    I am on their pre pay service which I find excellent. I noticed that it is impossible to call some numbers abroad, eg a mobile in Liechtenstein. You always get network busy. But the same call will work from Vodafone prepay no problems first time.

Is this just a meteor policy not to allow calls to certain countries? It is not network problems in my area as you can call anywhere else straight away and it works, go back to the Liechtenstein number and network busy.

Just curious tbh.
    you can't just call anywhere in the world on any phone. your network has to go and get a roaming agreement with the network in the country you're trying to ring. sometimes it'll work without an agreement but it'll be very expensive and unreliable.

and even if meteor has an agreement in Liechtenstein, they might only have an agreement with one network over there

edit: having checked, they seem to have an agreement in Liechtenstein. it should cost you 50c a min. maybe you're not set up for international calls. can you call other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

That's not the case. A roaming agreement is only required when the person actually goes to that country, not to call there.

I'd say it's nothing more than an issue on Meteor's network. Ring customer care and they should be able to fix it. Not that you'd want to call abroad with Meteor's rates, it's a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That's not the case. A roaming agreement is only required when the person actually goes to that country, not to call there.

I'd say it's nothing more than an issue on Meteor's network. Ring customer care and they should be able to fix it. Not that you'd want to call abroad with Meteor's rates, it's a rip off.
    then why is that that people on 3 can only text people in australia who are on the 3 network there?

its probably not called a roaming agreement, its called a connectivity agreement or something but it has to be there. at least that was 3's excuse for the multiple text problem they were having

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

then why is that that people on 3 can only text people in australia who are on the 3 network there?

its probably not called a roaming agreement, its called a connectivity agreement or something but it has to be there. at least that was 3's excuse for the multiple text problem they were having

Texting is different to calling. He was saying he was having trouble making phone calls to these countries, Lichtenstein for example. There is no need for an agreement in that case, what you do is get an agreement with the likes of Worldcom to carry your international calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

There is such thing as an inter-connectivity agreement. I know Meteor have these agreements in place with most countries now but their are still certain countries which Meteor have no agreement with such as Nigeria and Pakistan. As a result these countries can never be called from the Meteor network.

The countries that Meteor do have agreements with are then split into 4 different groups. The lower groups can be called without having any international call restriction lift from your account but you need the restriction lifted to call the higher groups.

Perhaps you need to call customer care to have this restriction lifted. Otherwise, even though Meteor have an agreement with the country your friends in, it might be that they only have an agreement with one network over there and that he happens to be on another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Bond,

I had a similar problem calling the Cayman Islands. I rang CC and they said it may be because I had an older type sim card. They will send you out a new one if requested just make sure they wave the 15euro charge as it is not your fault you require a new sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

7.Ronaldo wrote:
    There is such thing as an inter-connectivity agreement. I know Meteor have these agreements in place with most countries now but their are still certain countries which Meteor have no agreement with such as Nigeria and Pakistan. As a result these countries can never be called from the Meteor network.

The countries that Meteor do have agreements with are then split into 4 different groups. The lower groups can be called without having any international call restriction lift from your account but you need the restriction lifted to call the higher groups.

Perhaps you need to call customer care to have this restriction lifted. Otherwise, even though Meteor have an agreement with the country your friends in, it might be that they only have an agreement with one network over there and that he happens to be on another one.

Quoted for emphasis. Again, it does change. Recently, the Philippines have come off the 'Can't Call' list.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Texting is different to calling. He was saying he was having trouble making phone calls to these countries, Lichtenstein for example. There is no need for an agreement in that case, what you do is get an agreement with the likes of Worldcom to carry your international calls.

are you sure on this? my experience totally disagrees. I have had trouble both calling and texting friends travelling in south east asia from my meteor phone. No trouble from my vodafone one. Meteor customer services said it might be the network they are on in the country doesn't have an agreement with meteor, of course they couldn't say which network they do have an agreement with and I had my friends try all available ones with no luck..

Advertisement