Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicians for Irish Dancing

Options
  • 11-04-2007 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any musicians out there that would be interested in travelling and playing music for Irish dancing?

I'm involved in a non-profit making organisation that travels to various dance&cultural festivals. It's normally great craic and I'm just wondering if anyone is interested. The musicians involved at the moment are getting on a bit and there needs an injection of new blood. Nobody gets paid, not the organisers, the dancers, the musicians etc but normally you'll only have to pay for your plane fare as the host groups normally provide everything else.
    It's a fantastic oppurtuinity and I've experience so much over the years... it's a real case of making friends in differant countries and getting to know their culture in a non-touristy kinda way.

If you're curious about anything just ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'm suprised no-ones responded to this thread. Next festival is in southern Holland/Belgium. Being hosted by a lovely little village, groups from China, Poland, Slovakia, France and Holland taking part (aswell as the Irish).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

I think musicians will often play abroad for free, for the craic and/or "share the culture" buzz, but would normally expect their flight and expenses paid for at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah... but nobody gets flights or expenses paid, it's not a profit making venture, the participants stay with host families, all there food is provided as is transport in the host country,as is entertainment and entrance to various things etc, the only thing they'd have to pay for is plane tickets and these days that normally works out less then €100. See that's the thing with a lot of people's mindsets ... if you enjoy playing music, I dunno, it's a once in a lifetime type experience/holiday. I'm a musician myself and I never grudgingly play a gig, I mean, I play music because I love to play music. Ah, I dunno... guess the country has changed... at these festivals no other country ever has to pay their musicians etc.

Advertisement