Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet connection problem

Options
  • 11-04-2007 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    a few days ago I couldn't get any of my browsers (IE, opera or firefox)to connect to a webpage.

I kept getting a page not found/cannot find server error after apparently dialing up ok. so after a lot of messing about I eventually did a system restore which seemed to sort it out.

however I tried again to connect tonight and I get the same error-page not found/cannot find server with all browsers.
    again It seems to dial up
    ok but then after a bit of waiting I get the above page.

i've done a re-install and intend to use firefox instead of IE (for security reasons) in the future in the hope I don't have the same problem again.

anyone know where the problem might lie.
    btw in terms of security I got ewido, avg-free, zonealarm and spybot. should probably be enough.
    also as mentioned i'll probably use a non-IE browser in future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I definitely wouldn't use IE6 anyway... unless you really trust a site 100% and really need to use IE for compatability.
    Could be any number of things on the malware side, but if it happens again, I'd say do the following...

Open: Start > Run > cmd
    ping 89.234.66.107
    That'll see if you can connect to boards.ie by IP
    ping www.boards.ie
    And again using DNS.

If the IP one works, but the DNS one doesn't, your isp's DNS server may be down or misconfigured on your end of the connection.
    A work around to this is using an alternative server from OpenDNS.
    At least you'll have a clearer picture at that stage where the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Yeah I definitely wouldn't use IE6 anyway... unless you really trust a site 100% and really need to use IE for compatability.
    Could be any number of things on the malware side, but if it happens again, I'd say do the following...

Open: Start > Run > cmd
    ping 89.234.66.107
    That'll see if you can connect to boards.ie by IP
    ping www.boards.ie
    And again using DNS.

If the IP one works, but the DNS one doesn't, your isp's DNS server may be down or misconfigured on your end of the connection.
    A work around to this is using an alternative server from OpenDNS.
    At least you'll have a clearer picture at that stage where the problem is.

cheers.
    i'm not too familiar with all that ip and dns stuff but thanks anyway.
    is there a specific dns number as well I should use.
    and how do I go about using an alternative server.

Advertisement