Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX # 4 Faulty

• 11-04-2007 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Console # 1 - power supply problem
    Console # 2 - Gears would not play
    Console # 3 - No game could be recognised
    Console # 4 - CD Drive wont open

I just got my 360 back yesterday from the Repair Center - and yes you guessed it, Faulty. Drive Tray will not open manually (it will open using the controller only) I rang MS and they gave me the old story of "sorry you will have to return it to the repair center"

This is the second time I have had it back from the repair center and out of the box its faulty. To say I am pissed is putting it mildly. The annoying thing about this is that if the Repair center were any good, they would of tested the Drive before shipping it out to me

On the phone I demanded that it is replaced with a new one - a manager/super is ringing me today (fat chance I would say in getting a new one)

Would it be easier to just replace the drive myself with one of the newer/quiter drives ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Jeez... sound like a right pain in the rectum! I hope it's reached a point where they'll, at least, replace the damn unit after all your time they've wasted due to their shoddy hardware/workmanship.

It might be worth your while explaining the situation to the guys at Office of The Director of Consumer Affairs to see if you are entitled to demand a new unit off MS at this stage - just to be prepared in case the MS representative tries to fob you off.

I reckon they should offer you an annual gold subscription for wasting your time. :D

Good luck anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would demand freebies off Microsoft for remaining loyal to them through all this this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickg007

Fnz wrote:
    It might be worth your while explaining the situation to the guys at Office of The Director of Consumer Affairs to see if you are entitled to demand a new unit off MS at this stage - just to be prepared in case the MS representative tries to fob you off.

I reckon they should offer you an annual gold subscription for wasting your time. :D

Good luck anyway.

Twice I rang Microsoft to speak to a manager and they fogged me off and said one would ring me in 48 hours - still waiting.

Anyway, in the meantime I got on to XtraVison Customer Services and the girl on the help desk was vey helpfull. Because I had returned it twice for repair to MS, XV would swap it out for a new Xbox 360. I just have to wait until I get a unit with an MFR date from 2007 onwards. Want to make sure iti comes with a BenQ drive = Quiet !!

If the Xbox is sent back for repair by GAME/XV/Smyths e.t.c - it must come back from MS with a permanent fix - if not you are entitled to a new 360 or a refund. Your contract is with them not Microsoft.

Hope you get sorted, I'd be looking for a new console too.

I have been back into the store where I got it in and they are already looking for a new 2007 model for me - VERY HAPPY !!!

Still - if I had known of all the problems there is the Xbox 360, I never would of bought one !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tap the cd drive when u press the button to open it.
    you may have to give it a stern tap, dont put the console on its side, make sure its flat

Good to hear that you're getting sorted. :cool:
    mickg007 wrote:
    I just have to wait until I get a unit with an MFR date from 2007 onwards. Want to make sure iti comes with a BenQ drive = Quiet !!
    Really? BenQ drives are the quietest? So I should ask for a Xbox 360 with a MFR date from 2007 when Forza 2 comes out? This should guarantee me a BenQ one?

Fnz wrote:
    Good to hear that you're getting sorted. :cool:

Really? BenQ drives are the quietest? So I should ask for a Xbox 360 with a MFR date from 2007 when Forza 2 comes out? This should guarantee me a BenQ one?

November 06, MS started shipping 360's with the new BenQ drive. Unfortunately, not in all consoles. So i am hoping I get lucky with an 07 model. You can check what drive you have here:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually seen confirmation that the BenQ\Philips drives are quieter because the speed is set in the firmware by Microsoft as it reads the game discs at high speed.

Because BenQ/Philips drives are just as noisy at 12x or 16x when compared to competitors. However at low speeds they are generally quiet but again that is something that must be set in the firmware to read DVD's movies at a lower speed.

Also I would treat with caution that these drives will be showing up en mass as BenQ was bought by Lite-On and it's partnership with Philips dissolved. But Philips then formed a new partnership with Lite-On so god knows what is going to show up in the those systems.

The new Elite's are not using the BenQ/Philips drives either from initial pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I only got a ps3 yesterday, and while youd have to be severely deluded to say its the better console, one area where it trumps the 360 is its build quality. Holy crap, you can barely even tell its turned on its so quiet, i was seriously shocked by how silent it is. MS shouldve taken a leaf out of sonys book when it comes to designing hardware.

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote:
    I only got a ps3 yesterday, and while youd have to be severely deluded to say its the better console, one area where it trumps the 360 is its build quality. Holy crap, you can barely even tell its turned on its so quiet, i was seriously shocked by how silent it is. MS shouldve taken a leaf out of sonys book when it comes to designing hardware.
    Any truth in the rumour that it's whisper quiet only for the first 20 minutes or so - after which it gets loud and (allegedly) stays loud until it's reset? Even if you stop doing 'processor intensive activities'?

From what I have read - anyone who has a possbile faulty unit, after 5 mins 'fan 1' kicks in, and gradually gets louder over time when playing a game. Some of them return to original fan1, but some need to shut it off.

A lot a people saying they are not getting any noise whatsover - so defo problem with a batch of the PS3s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Fnz wrote:
    Any truth in the rumour that it's whisper quiet only for the first 20 minutes or so - after which it gets loud and (allegedly) stays loud until it's reset? Even if you stop doing 'processor intensive activities'?

well ive only played resistance, but played it for about 2 hours yesterday, and nope, the fan stayed silent the whole time

Got the call yesterday from XtraVision, that new stock was in. They only had MFRs 2006/12/08. So I decided to take a chance on the date and hope there was a BenQ drive in it.

Unfortuantely there was'nt - it was a Hitatchi-LG Drive. It is Noisy - but hopefuly this, my 5th console will work.

It looks like you need to get really lucky to get the BenQ drive. I reckon they only shipped a small number with this drive and have stopped now. You can check out the list here

http://www.360drives.com/list

XV were great to deal with. I had bought the 1st console back in December last and becuase I had sent it back to MS twice, they offered me a new one - Fair Play !!!

Advertisement