Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will any windows xp do??

• 11-04-2007 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hello, am just wondering could i use any windows xp disk to repair my windows on my laptop...it came with no disk as the operating system was already loaded..just wondering could i use a disk from another pc...any help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes if you're repairing by using the recovery console.
    If it's a repair install or a full format/reinstall you need to make sure it's the correct version. ie. Home or Professional, SP0/SP1/SP2 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also if you're doing a reinstall of an OEM version make sure you have an OEM disc - your licence key won't work with a retail version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Hey,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just done a clean install of Windows XP on an old laptop. Windows installation went grand, and then I ran through the drivers disk. All seemed to go OK, but I've lost any trace of my wireless network card, and I can't add my broadband connection now. Should this not have been picked up by the Drivers CD? Any idea how I can get this back? I've looked in the hardware device manager, and there's no mention of the wireless card anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

hi i know that it is Home Edition but not sure what SP0/SP1/SP2 it is...what does an OEM mean sorry i dont understand:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It should tell you under System Properties (right click My Computer->Properties) and then it lists the system information there, like Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

An OEM disc would be one that is locked to the system and can't be transferred to another machine. You will have to contact the manufacturer of the laptop for that I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ruu wrote:
    It should tell you under System Properties (right click My Computer->Properties) and then it lists the system information there, like Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

An OEM disc would be one that is locked to the system and can't be transferred to another machine. You will have to contact the manufacturer of the laptop for that I think.
    The problem with system properties Ruu is that it will show the XP version in it's current state. So even though it may say Service Pack 2 there it doesn't necessarily mean that the original disc was SP2. SP2 could have been installed since the initial install.
    hi i know that it is Home Edition but not sure what SP0/SP1/SP2 it is...what does an OEM mean sorry i dont understand
    OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer and is the version of windows that comes pre-install on pc's from the big manufacturers (Dell, etc).
    Thats more than likely the version you have.
    The service pack level is harder to identify but you can estimate from the age of the machine. Roughly it goes:
    2002 - 2003 = SP0
    2003 - late 2004 = SP1/1a
    Late 2004 - 2007 = SP2/2a

Advertisement