Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone 3g modem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sounds like they have a 3G problem and konw it if THEY are saying set it to GPRS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

watty wrote:
    Sounds like they have a 3G problem and konw it if THEY are saying set it to GPRS
    Agreed.

At least it looks like they are going to do something about it. I have found vodafone 1000000000000000000 times more helpful in cases like this compared to Three.

Give it a few days and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ward21

I have a problem with My Vodafone Modem. I get a signal when its connected to the computer but when i try connect it to the Internet it says "Cannot connect to the remote computer you may have to change the network settings" Ive tried everything. Ive uninstalled my virus software. Ive done everything i was told to do by the Helpdesk. But still no good.It's driving me crazy! Can someone help me Please!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

hi i have a vodafone 3g modem and still have not being billed is it a bi monthly thing or monthly nothing has come out of my account i have the modem since end of feb..wondering is anyone else wondering when we willl get billed...also if anyone is encountering any problems eg..slowing down computer system or just slow connection..any response thanks

I have a (work) vodafone 3g modem for over a year now and never got charged at all. :)It must not have been registered with their accounts or something like that. Anyone else in the same boat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

i live in westport aswell. I'm in the area where the first 3G cell in the county was put up around 2 years(used to work for c+c cellular a vodafone retailer and was told it was the first one) but I grabbed a modem a few months ago and I wouldn't call it broadband. You have to wait for videos to stream like it was dial up. I get the whole "connected at 7.2mbps" ****e in the taskbar, but the light is always going to green when its being asked to do something. Its blue when it's not "connected" and as soon as I hit "connect" it will go green. Its really pissing me off. I've paid for a connection that might peak to broadband every now and then but it's not worth it by a long shot. I get 5 bars of 3G yet it still goes green and flicks the HSDPA or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    i live in westport aswell. I'm in the area where the first 3G cell in the county was put up around 2 years(used to work for c+c cellular a vodafone retailer and was told it was the first one) but I grabbed a modem a few months ago and I wouldn't call it broadband. You have to wait for videos to stream like it was dial up. I get the whole "connected at 7.2mbps" ****e in the taskbar, but the light is always going to green when its being asked to do something. Its blue when it's not "connected" and as soon as I hit "connect" it will go green. Its really pissing me off. I've paid for a connection that might peak to broadband every now and then but it's not worth it by a long shot. I get 5 bars of 3G yet it still goes green and flicks the HSDPA or whatever.
    I have two relations who asked me to check their laptops when they got 3g wireless connections one is an old unit the other a dell duell core insprion. I failed to get a speed improvement from either of them, both read connected @ 3mbps but my 1mbps connection doing what ever online is without a dout miles faster if it was the old laptop on xp badly updated ect ok but the spanking new near top of the range laptop on vista premium no, slower then my xp home on 1mbps got to to be 3g I am open for correction and will be first in line to say sorry 3g.

yeah man like I had a 1mb connection from BT last year, and it was WAAAAYYY faster then this! I could watch videos,play games.I mean, isnt that what broadband IS? surely they cant get away with calling it broadband for much longer??? There's just no way it's up to the same speed as a wired,BT or eircom connection! Their 12mb lines are a million times faster! its really frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's mobile Internet. The ECTA or OECD don't count it in Broadband figures. The basic 1Mbps DSL can typically be 5 to 10 times faster than real life EDGE/3G/HSDPA as the quoted speed is only if only one person connects to a sector with a good signal. With 10 people on a mast sector you may get 1/30th of the full speed.

It's a good alternative to dialup. But Fixed Wireless, Cable or DSL is better alternative. If you can afford it, even 512k two way satellite, is on average, 2 to 5 times better than Mobile 3G/HSDPA.

The speed in the Task Bar is just the speed the modem can do maximum. Like 100Mbps ethernet port claiming 100MBps connection in Taskbar. the 100Mbps ethernet can be only 10Mbps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Guys what kind of speeds are you getting?

243221655.png
    243225212.png
    243223818.png
    I done these tests within a few minutes of each other DL speeds go up and down like a yo yo, highest DL I've got was 1456kbps but of course its not constant.

If your living rural there isn't much choice, BB is as bad, but I guess mobile internet is better then dial up :mad:

bah! that site confused me!haha! my connection is generally around, ****! What's weird, and this is something i've literally just figured out, I can stream youtube videos on my phone, just by selecting and then it streams! Why cant I do this with the mobile modem??? It's probably the same file size too! I'm so ****ed off with this thing, I want my 1MB bt connection back! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Just click on the yellow triangle and the test will start

I can usually watch you tube and stuff without buffering
    But as you said it works perfect on the mobile and thats vodafone 3G too and i tried it while next to my computer with the vodafone modem within two feet!
    can't see why a mobile phone with 3G is faster than the 3G modem
    I dunno it boggles the mind

Advertisement