Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused kittens

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I got two kittens a few weeks ago, they were very shy but have come on hugely recently and are now very tame and love a cuddle. The only thing is they have had a few "accidents" lately.

They seem to think that any newspaper is ok to use as a toilet (happened maybe 4-5 times), and once they used their own pillow which they lie on in the kitchen. They had one accident on the carpet but this was after my boyfriend let them have a small bowl of cold tea which didn't agree with their little tummys (he didnt know any better, but he does now! lol) They do use their litter tray and know very well where it is if they need it!

I don't know if it's one of them or both as I never see them do it.

They are due their top up vacs today and are being brought to vet tomorrow for them. They are fed on a mixture of felix/whiskas kitten pouches and dry food and are only given water to drink.

Any suggestions on how to stop this? My boyfriend is getting pretty peeved becuase although they are "officially" my kittens he has to do most of the scrubbing as I'm pregnant and it's starting to become a struggle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Hi Shelli,

Persevere with putting them in the litter tray before and after their meals.

Be EXTREMELY careful around cat litter if you are pregnant. Toxoplasmosis is a horrendous virus and it would be terrible if you were to lose the baby because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Aye, thats why the other half is doing all that at the moment. And i'm being extremely careful, washing hands after playing with kitties.

They were litter trained when they came to me so I haven't done anything really, just showed them where the tray was the first day and they used it fine for the first while, it's only the last week that they've been going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

sometimes cats dont like a change in the cat-litter material
    type (i.e. stone type to wood chip etc) and may need to
    get used to it again. A gentle hint of helping them into
    the tray and doing some gentle digging actions with paws
    helps make the connection.

The other thing of course is cats are very fussy - they
    will ignore the tray if they dont like the location or if
    they think its not clean enough.

Shane.

Shelli wrote:
    Aye, thats why the other half is doing all that at the moment. And i'm being extremely careful, washing hands after playing with kitties.

They were litter trained when they came to me so I haven't done anything really, just showed them where the tray was the first day and they used it fine for the first while, it's only the last week that they've been going elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kikilove

Hi shelli-

i am in search of kittens if you decide that the kittens are too much to handle at this stage in life. i have a cosy home in clontarf.

if you are somewhat nearby the dublin area, i would happy to adopt.

thanks- and best- hillevi

- also can drive to kittens!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

try using different types of litter in their tray.

it is recommended that in a multicat house hold you have a tray for each cat plus one - so get at least one more tray

their tray should be cleaned very regularly as it may be that they will not use the tray after it has already been used (I had a foster kitten once who would only use a tray once & then wouldn't use it again until it had been cleaned)

may be stating the obvious but don't leave newspapers lying around if they're peeing on them - if they're not there they can't pee on them

as someone else said look at the location of the litter tray too

good luck ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement