Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Paranormal

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

This is the type of thread I hate but I have no other choice. I'll already hering things like "that the ban on the chin, its only 2 weeks" ... thing is I have no idea how long it is.

Anyway to get it straight from the start here is the post I am banned for:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53047336&postcount=43

I was pm'd by Stevenmu saying I was banned for backseat modding - I see no problem with asking for threads to be merged, I've done it before and have seen it done alot.

Anyway this is following on from this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075933 where I responding to the OP saying that people could take his post as a p*sstake. I also made fair comment to the post in my reply. My post was editted and I was warned even though I did not break the charter. You can see from the thread that I am far from the only person to comment and infact mine was alot more polite than others.

I will not (right now) go into the workings between myself and the stevenmu but I was banned in the past and it was lifted straight away because it was an unfair and personal ban.

The modding of the Paranormal Forum in the last while hasn't been great tbh. I know Stevenmu was brought in when Psi was getting very busy but stevemu himself hasn't been around much due to being very busy. Its seems Stevenmu's current style is don't mod it often but when you do make an example of someone.

A mod did merge the threadds I asked about so unfortunately my problem is with Stevenmu's modding. I'm not happy to be complaining about him as I'v had alot of dealings both on and off Boards with him in the past.

I know I am going to get people saying that I'm just annoyed because I want to mod the forum but thats not it. I have been possibly the most regular poster on there for 2 years now, have arranged loads of outings, help numerous people both privately and publicly. Fact is I genuine care about both the forum and its posters.

I'm genuinely confused about this ban and Stevenmu's attitude towards me and cant help but think its something personal (again). Stevenmu is a good guy but I'm sorry to say he is showing himself to be a very poor mod.

I have pm'd Stevenmu but there is obviously a bigger issue here. I'd love to know what the other forum mods make of this ban.

Sorry about the rant and hopefully I get some answers before the animla pictures start.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pmsl ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If that's really the reason for the banning then it seems over the top.

In the forums I mod people will always suggest merging and moving threads, sometimes in a reported post and sometimes in thread.

I have no problems with such actions been out in the open as it adds a lair of transperancy to the modding process and makes it look like I'm not merely merging threads on a whim. A thread merge can actually be a fairly confusing process for anyone posting in either thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hiya 6th, it might be something to do with how often you backseat mod? Caring a lot about a forum is fine and organising events is brilliant but just because you would merge/close a thread or edit a post doesn't mean that the forum mods should do it.

Everyone is different and it can be viewed as disruptive if you consistently ask for modding to be done or complain because something isn't happening the way you want it to. (edit: I don't know how consistently you ask for these things or whether your tone often comes across as badgering or not) I can't comment on stevenmu's modding as I don't regularly visit the forum.

Anyway, find out how long your ban is, sit it out and get posting again when it's lifted.

/I still remember my first week posting on boards.ie, where I asked ecksor to lock a thread and then told him that he wasn't doing his job properly when he refused :eek: :o:D. He must have been in great form because I wasn't banned despite being a total idiot...benefit of the doubt maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

r3nu4l wrote:
    Hiya 6th, it might be something to do with how often you backseat mod? Caring a lot about a forum is fine and organising events is brilliant but just because you would merge/close a thread or edit a post doesn't mean that the forum mods should do it.

Its not something I do often at all and obviously one of the mods saw nothing wrong with it as it was merged. There were comments made in the original thread which were very relevant and rather than repost it all I made a suggestion .... hardly a banning offense is it?
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Everyone is different and it can be viewed as disruptive if you consistently ask for modding to be done or complain because something isn't happening the way you want it to. (edit: I don't know how consistently you ask for these things or whether your tone often comes across as badgering or not) I can't comment on stevenmu's modding as I don't regularly visit the forum.

I understand that but I'd be very surprised if anyone could say that I am a nuisense over there.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    Anyway, find out how long your ban is, sit it out and get posting again when it's lifted.

Not a hope, this is an outright unfair ban and its obvious there is more to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

seems harsh to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

doesn't appear to be particularly fair at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

6th wrote:
    There were comments made in the original thread which were very relevant and rather than repost it all I made a suggestion .... hardly a banning offense is it?

In my opinion, no, not on it's own but then I'm sure that I don't know the whole history between you two and I do only mod the Bowling forum here which is not a hotbed of modding. In fact I think that stressed out AH mods should be allowed convalesce by modding there for a while ;)

r3nu4l wrote:
    In my opinion, no, not on it's own but then I'm sure that I don't know the whole history between you two and I do only mod the Bowling forum here which is not a hotbed of modding. In fact I think that stressed out AH mods should be allowed convalesce by modding there for a while ;)

The Paranormal Forum runs smoothly for the most part too. History wise there is nothing to add to a justified reason for banning me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

First of all, yes, I haven't been posting as much lately as I'd like to. But I have been reading the forum regularly and performing the various day to day moderating tasks, deleting spam, banning pi** takers, locking and moving threads and so on. Not that any of this has any real relevance that I can see. I have not been making examples of people, in fact I never mentioned anything relating to the ban on the forum.

Second, if this ban was simply related to this one incident then yes it would be harsh. But you have a history of this kind of thing, you consistently post on threads saying they should be locked or deleted or moved or merged when it suits yourself and your view of what the forum should be, you post telling people to get back on topic or to not discuss certain things. As r3nu4l says it's disruptive. It makes people feel they somehow need your approval to voice their opinions. It makes people feel unwelcome to post.

Third, you have been warned about this at least twice before, including once by myself just hours before this post. There is a process in place (and it's there for very good reasons) by which you can express your views on whether threads should be merged or locked etc, and yet despite being warned, you continue to ignore it and proceed to instruct people how you see fit.

Fourth, there is no personal issue here. The warning you recieved and the post you later made are there in black and white. If anything I've let several things slide over the last while because I knew there would be allegations of a personal issue, and yes that was bad moderating on my part.

Fifth, I haven't let you know how long the ban will be for yet because I haven't decided it yet. I plan to look back over past posts and discuss it with the other moderators of the forum. You will know as soon as I do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I believe this banning was after many back seat moddings on your part 6th. I never go into that forum due to me thinking it's a load of cak, so am just going on what the stevenmu has said.
    However, I have seen you back seat mod in feedback at times and I imagine if you are at the same thing in Paranormal, it could become a tad annoying after x amount of time.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote:
    First of all, yes, I haven't been posting as much lately as I'd like to. But I have been reading the forum regularly and performing the various day to day moderating tasks, deleting spam, banning pi** takers, locking and moving threads and so on. Not that any of this has any real relevance that I can see. I have not been making examples of people, in fact I never mentioned anything relating to the ban on the forum.

You didnt mention it on the forum because you know most of the people on there would think it was bullsh*t.
    stevenmu wrote:
    Second, if this ban was simply related to this one incident then yes it would be harsh. But you have a history of this kind of thing, you consistently post on threads saying they should be locked or deleted or moved or merged when it suits yourself and your view of what the forum should be, you post telling people to get back on topic or to not discuss certain things. As r3nu4l says it's disruptive.

Absolute crap, I look forward to you posting these consistent post I make. It makes people feel they somehow need your approval to voice their opinions.
    stevenmu wrote:
    It makes people feel unwelcome to post.

Really? Should I maybe ask for those I make feel unwelcome to come here or maybe ask those I'm made feel very welcome.
    stevenmu wrote:
    Third, you have been warned about this at least twice before, including once by myself just hours before this post.

Again I'll wait for you to post examples here. As for the last one you edited my post so maybe you should put it back as it was so we can see how bad I was? The thread is there for people to read so maybe you should ban everyone who posted similar after your warning?
    stevenmu wrote:
    There is a process in place (and it's there for very good reasons) by which you can express your views on whether threads should be merged or locked etc, and yet despite being warned, you continue to ignore it and proceed to instruct people how you see fit.

Maybe I should post the Pms I've sent you in the past asking for threads to be moved ... you know, the ones that were ignored ... is that the proper way to do it? Obviously the mod who merged the thread in question saw no problem with my request.
    stevenmu wrote:
    Fourth, there is no personal issue here. The warning you recieved and the post you later made are there in black and white. If anything I've let several things slide over the last while because I knew there would be allegations of a personal issue, and yes that was bad moderating on my part.

Bullsh*t, the last time you banned me was a heap of cr*p and I didnt start a thread about that because you lifted it and realised you were seriously out of order. That was personal and so is this ... I just dont know why?
    stevenmu wrote:
    Fifth, I haven't let you know how long the ban will be for yet because I haven't decided it yet. I plan to look back over past posts and discuss it with the other moderators of the forum. You will know as soon as I do.

When you are looking over my posts I'd like to have the offending ones posted here and I guarantee you I can find dozens more made by other posters in the same threads far worse than mine. I just cant wait to see what you come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can't believe you didn't see that coming...

Beruthiel wrote:
    I believe this banning was after many back seat moddings on your part 6th. I never go into that forum due to me thinking it's a load of cak, so am just going on what the stevenmu has said.
    However, I have seen you back seat mod in feedback at times and I imagine if you are at the same thing in Paranormal, it could become a tad annoying after x amount of time.

When its a suggestion about a thread what should someone do? Report the post? I've tried the pm route in the past and gotten no reply on several occassions.

Who merged the threads in question anyway and why didnt they ban me? Stevenmu has issues with my backseat modding but how many occassions of it have there been since he became a mod resently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Oh get over it. When I was banned from Paranormal you put on your 'little mod' persona for pages upon pages telling me just how wrong I was to question the Mods, etc. What's good for the Goose ...

6th wrote:
    Maybe I should post the Pms I've sent you in the past asking for threads to be moved ...

Honestly, that would drive me mad.
    How many of those type of PM's did you send?
    Basically you're admitting that you were telling him how to Moderate his forum if you've been doing that on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

6th wrote:
    Maybe I should post the Pms I've sent you in the past asking for threads to be moved ... you know, the ones that were ignored ... is that the proper way to do it? Obviously the mod who merged the thread in question saw no problem with my request.

He doesn't work for you dude. He doesn't have to merge threads just because you tell him to. He's free to ignore you.

Ok so how do you make suggestions about threads?

Stevenmu says above There is a process in place (and it's there for very good reasons) by which you can express your views on whether threads should be merged or locked etc so what is it an where is it? Should people use feedback for every little thing.

Beruthiel, there were a couple about movig a thread from Paranoral to Spirituality.

Ned78, you're ban was for ddirectly going against the ban.

Boston, I know he doesn't work for me. I madesuggestions and always asked, i was always polite and made it clear it was just a suggestion. Like i've said a few times already - if it was so wrong then why did another mod merge them?

Absolute crap, I look forward to you posting these consistent post I make. It makes people feel they somehow need your approval to voice their opinions.
    I'll compile a list later and post it here so.
    Again I'll wait for you to post examples here. As for the last one you edited my post so maybe you should put it back as it was so we can see how bad I was? The thread is there for people to read so maybe you should ban everyone who posted similar after your warning?
    Your post on that thread was
    The bit about the noises coming from your mams room when you dads out makes it sound like you're taking the piss.
    You are very clearly saying that the OP is taking the piss. You were warned about that being against the charter (In fact the charter says there is zero tolerance for that kind of post, but I made an exception and just warned you). When I next looked at the thread, instead of taking that warning on board you had thrown a hissy fit and the thread was a write off. I possibly should have banned people for it, but instead I warned everyone, including you, and again pointed out the correct process.
    If you like, altough I fail to see the point. PM'ing me about a thread, as with reporting one, does no guarantee that you will get your desired result. It only guarantees that I will look it over and see what I think.
    Bullsh*t, the last time you banned me was a heap of cr*p and I didnt start a thread about that because you lifted it and realised you were seriously out of order. That was personal and so is this ... I just dont know why?
    This has nothing to do with any previous incidents, but if you think that posting about them will somehow get you out of this ban (I presume that's why you keep bringing it up), feel free.
    When you are looking over my posts I'd like to have the offending ones posted here and I guarantee you I can find dozens more made by other posters in the same threads far worse than mine. I just cant wait to see what you come up with.
    You seem to fail to realise that this is not about other posters, it is about you. If you have seen behaviour that you feel warrants intervention by a moderator then why haven't you reported it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

6th wrote:
    Ok so how do you make suggestions about threads?

Stevenmu says above There is a process in place (and it's there for very good reasons) by which you can express your views on whether threads should be merged or locked etc so what is it an where is it? Should people use feedback for every little thing.
    Thats the report-a-post feature I think.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    i was always polite and made it clear it was just a suggestion.

If that is the case, then why are you complaining that he ignores your PM?
    6th wrote:
    I've tried the pm route in the past and gotten no reply on several occassions

I honestly don't understand why you can't just post in the forum and leave it at that.
    Why do you feel the need to give instructions on merging/deleting/moving whatever.

The only thing I would personally find acceptable would be to report the post/thread and leave your suggestion there. That way a Mod can take whatever action they feel is necessary, or, no action at all.

Oh and for the record, I do welcome any and all reported posts or PMs with suggestions. I look at them all and consider them all. Sometimes I decide to do something, other times I don't. Sometimes I've PM'd people with reasons why I haven't done anything, altough to be honest more than often I have not, but this does not mean that I have ignored any.

And I don't know who did merge the threads, presumably Psi or T4TF, but the issue here isn't about whether the threads should have been merged or not (I actually agree that they should have been and would have done so if I was pm'd or the thread was reported). The issue is that you took it upon yourself to delare that they should be merged and that the other thread should not be there (despite previous warnings about this type of behaviour).

stevenmu wrote:
    I'll compile a list later and post it here so.

I look forward to it.

stevenmu wrote:
    Your post on that thread was
    6th wrote:
    The bit about the noises coming from your mams room when you dads out makes it sound like you're taking the piss.

Your post on that thread was You are very clearly saying that the OP is
    6th wrote:
    taking the piss. You were warned about that being against the charter (In fact the charter says there is zero tolerance for that kind of post, but I made an exception and just warned you). When I next looked at the thread, instead of taking that warning on board you had thrown a hissy fit and the thread was a write off. I possibly should have banned people for it, but instead I warned everyone, including you, and again pointed out the correct process.

I said makes it sound like ... that is not very clearly saying that the OP is taking the piss. So people ignored the warning you gave me and continued to pass comment on the OP ... yet its me that gets the ban?
    stevenmu wrote:
    If you like, altough I fail to see the point. PM'ing me about a thread, as with reporting one, does no guarantee that you will get your desired result. It only guarantees that I will look it over and see what I think.

So when I asked about moving a thread to Spirituality you looked at it and thought what? I had asked a Spirituality mod about it to and they thoughth it was a good idea.
    stevenmu wrote:
    This has nothing to do with any previous incidents, but if you think that posting about them will somehow get you out of this ban (I presume that's why you keep bringing it up), feel free.

The last ban was uncalled for and personal, you couldnt mod properly because you were too involved. I still think you have problems modding the forum - more particularily me. You suggested last time that you should stop modding because you took it personally and I let it goes because of our dealings.
    stevenmu wrote:
    You seem to fail to realise that this is not about other posters, it is about you. If you have seen behaviour that you feel warrants intervention by a moderator then why haven't you reported it ?

Oh no I realise perfectly well that this isn't about other posters, tahts my point. I dont report them because the feel of the forum is nice and lose - people like it like that. I do use the report post function when its really needed. I'm on that forum more than most so I spot things before some might - thats why it might seem like I am backseat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

This is just my two sense worth. Asking for a post to be merged on the thread? I dont understand why this is such a big offence, so its in the rules that you go through a procedure, but this seems to be a rule that isn't aheard to all the time and no real damage or harm is done by asking for it to be done on the thread. Dont get me wrong, I dont envy anyones job trying to mod the forum, I am sure it can be tough to do so.

People not in agreement on the forum and maybe sometimes a little flare up occurs but this is how people are and I feel it helps keeping the thread or conversation going and opinions put out there and I think the Mods have done there job with keeping it from getting to out of hand by deleting or editing the posts.

Can we not calm down this situation with a little more two way conversation and not a battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kshiel wrote:
    Asking for a post to be merged on the thread? I dont understand why this is such a big offence
    The term "death by a thousand paper cuts" springs to mind.

Straw that broke the camels back

I said makes it sound like ... that is not very clearly saying that the OP is taking the piss. So people ignored the warning you gave me and continued to pass comment on the OP ... yet its me that gets the ban?
    You can dance around the issue all you like, we both know that that post isn't why you were banned. You were warned for that post, the warning was then clarified and extended to everyone else. You then afterwards went and made the post that got you banned.

stevenmu wrote:
    Oh and for the record, I do welcome any and all reported posts or PMs with suggestions. I look at them all and consider them all. Sometimes I decide to do something, other times I don't. Sometimes I've PM'd people with reasons why I haven't done anything, altough to be honest more than often I have not, but this does not mean that I have ignored any.

And I don't know who did merge the threads, presumably Psi or T4TF, but the issue here isn't about whether the threads should have been merged or not (I actually agree that they should have been and would have done so if I was pm'd or the thread was reported). The issue is that you took it upon yourself to delare that they should be merged and that the other thread should not be there (despite previous warnings about this type of behaviour).

There was a "?" on the end of my request so I declared nothing.

So you considered my request about moving the thread about "Thought Forms" to Spirituality? Did you discuss it with the other mods? It makes perfect sense to move it so I presume you just ignored it as you have my other pm's.

This ban is ridiculous and you just wont admit it. I dont expect you to back down at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ah being banned sucks. 6th you'd drive me mad if you posted like that (back seat modding) in a forum i mod.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    Straw that broke the camels back

So basically I'm a sh*t poster and the forum is better of without my constant crap.

Is that how the forum mods feel about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement