Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Paranormal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

scojones wrote:
    However, if a user was consistently telling me to edit posts, merge threads, and lock threads then I would not be happy about it. If I think a post needs to be edited, a thread merged/locked then I will do it myself without having to be told to do so. I can form my own opinion and performing these actions are at my own discretion. All moderators moderate differently, a moved thread for one mod might be a locked thread for another, and it is eventually up to the moderator to decide what the best course of action is - they know their job and they are capable of doing it.

I'm still waiting for Steven to come back with the list of my backseat modding. But I'd be surprised if either himself or Psi could stand over me as being consistently making requests.
    scojones wrote:
    Now if the forum is being under moderated then I can understand why a user would consistently make suggestions for the control of threads.

I would say that its being under moderated (no offense to Psi) Stevenmu came on board when Psi got too busy and yet he's admitted to having little or no time to spare. I know of sereval threads/posts which got heated that they never picked up on - and no I didnt report them because I was involved in some cases. Eitherway these posts where missed.
    scojones wrote:
    In my opinion back seat modding is not a banable offense. Is it in the paranormal charter? However, it can be written off under the "consistently annoying / abusing a moderator" card.

Find a mod that can hand on heart say I do that and I'll happily take the ban.
    scojones wrote:
    I think this is very harsh, and I don't think 6th should be banned in this instance. Sure, back seat modding can be annoying but I'm sure if 6th did not do any back seat modding the forum would be in a worse state than it is now.

I hate to fit in with what some have said about me but yes I do think it would be in a worse state without me. Stevenmu himself has told me that in the past.
    scojones wrote:
    A compromise would be to unban 6th on the promise that he does not perform any more back seat modding in the forum. If after x amount of time the forum is in a worse state than it is now, this should be highlighted on feedback, and depending on the feedback from the regulars and the mods, he should be allowed to make forum suggestions again (a nice label for back seat modding).

I can't promise not to try and be helpful. If one persona came in and asked for help and left without it then I think the forum is failing.
    scojones wrote:
    I am aware that 6th is very opinionated, and honestly 6th if I were you I would conduct myself in an appropriate manner. Shouting "bullsh!t" to responses on here would make me not want to unban you at all. Relax.

I have relaxed and even apologized, a luxury I know I wont be seeing publically in return. That said its hard to relax when another one of the forum mods comes in and gives Stevenmu the benefit just because he's a mod, when I have more than proved myself as a helpful poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

6th wrote:
    He hasn't, I tend to pm you before Steven because seeing as I know him it might seem inappropriate to ask him when its as easy to ask you. The one thread I did pm Stevenmu about was asking him to talk to Theadydal about moving a thread over to Spirituality after discussing it with Theadydal myself.
    Ok so I have 2 PMs in the last two weeks asking you to move/clode threads. I delete my PM's sporadically so I can't tell after that, but I know it's been a while before that since I got one.

However, you're missing the point. I read the forum every day. I act when I see something that needs acting upon (occasionally when I'm busy and it's not an urgent thing, I'll wait til I have more time - merging threads or correcting typos in thread titles for instance). I know Steve does too and T4TF will act on any reported post he gets (I know cos he beats me to it alot).

If I don't act, it's because I don't really deem it an issue, if I don't act and stevemu and T4TF don't act, it's probably because we're happy with the status quo or haven't been to the forum since whatever non-urgent issue came up.

You are assuming that noone is watching and stuff is going awry. I don't know why you get the impression that the way you want the forum is the way the forum should be.

It's akin to someone PMing a mod and then complaining that they don't get a response in 12 hours.

Thing is that I am in a position that I know about most threads in the Forum from being so involved. I've nevver receieved a complaint for pointing a new user to a thread that might help them. Has anyone ever reported a post of mine where I was trying to be helpful?
    Being helpful is well and good, but assuming an air of authority or telling somewhere which forum to post in, is quite frankly not your job.

Telling the mods to close/merge threads that they have probably read is back seat modding.
    Stevenmu has proved in the past that he is not capable of modding me fairly but I've now passed that over to the admins.
    Actually no, the last time you were banned we had a 3-way discussion on the matter and all gave opinions. Steve himself had a change of heart and lifted the ban of his own accord. So if he banned you and unbanned you after talking to him, then that seems like fair modding to me.
    I did report the post but taking that it could be genuine I asked about the situation and suggested that elements of it might lead people to believe the poster was having a laugh.

What if they had been serious?

The charter says no abuse/flaming and respect other posters etc. It doesn't say no abuse or flaming and respect other posters unless you think the guy isn't serious.

If you have a problem with the post, report it. It's not up to you to correct or moderate posters. Your unwillingness to accept this very simple fact has gotten you in this situation.

I also checked and saw that the poster (with the new start date and questionable username) had started one other thread about genital piercings which had been deleted - I did do my research.

If someone were to check my last 10 posts on boards at any given time, there is a good chance they'd think I was a troll.

Again, you had no facts about the posters veracity and it's not your job in any case.
    Yes I have an opinion on alot of thread in the forum but can anyone argue that I dont have a genuine interest in any or all of those topics?

Noone is arguing that at all. What people are arguing is that you seem to think you have some status in the forum that allows you to say how things should be done.

My last warning for you, now that you have reminded me, was because you took over a thread because you didn't like the way it had gone and abused one of the posters about how she posted, to the point that she offered to leave the forum.

THAT is the example you asked for. You got a warning then if you remember?
    As I said I did have something to add to 'that' thread and if you take a look you will see that I made other commments which were appropriate to the topic. Unlike some of the posters who escaped a ban.
    Why not just keep to the appropriate comments? Other posters aren't your concern. If you don't like their posts, report the post.
    If/When this ban is lifted I have no doubt that there will come times when I have other suggestions so with this is mind am I such a danger or nuisence that a perm ban is called for?

= (Pram - Toys) + Drama.

You don't seem to get what multiple people are telling you.
    You trust his judgement which is fine but when he hestidly banned me last time for a personal issue he didnt ask any of the other mods before weilding his modship.

He didn't have to ask us. He did come to us afterwards and given the situation we supported them. Believe me, is someone posted any aspect of my personal life without my permission, I'd come down rather heavily on them.

That ban was lifted and Steven admitted he had modded me unfairly. I believe whatever the issue steven has with me lead him to ban me not my back seat modding which many have acknowledged keeps the forum thicking over nicely.
    Again, seeing as I gave you a rather forceful warning about back-seat modding in the past, I don't see how you can rationally come to this conclusion unless you think that I have a personal grude aswell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Wow, this thread moved fast, looks like I've a lot to catch up on.
    6th wrote:
    So you considered my request about moving the thread about "Thought Forms" to Spirituality? Did you discuss it with the other mods? It makes perfect sense to move it so I presume you just ignored it as you have my other pm's.
    I have not ignored any PMs, I looked at that PM, looked at the thread and decided I though it should stay where it was. I will admit that I should have maybe pointed out to you that you could start a second thread on spirituality, which you already knew, but that's a far cry from ignoring your post.
    6th wrote:
    So basically I'm a sh*t poster and the forum is better of without my constant crap.

Is that how the forum mods feel about it?
    As others have pointed out, I, nor anyone else has said that. In fact I would say the opposite is true, if anything you've been given leeway vecause of the contributions you make to the forum.
    6th wrote:
    I really dont see how my posting style has been a problem and how it hasnt come up before.
    It has come up before, I have warned you both on the forum, and I've mentioned it to you in person before to, and as above Psi has warned you too.
    6th wrote:
    Steven, if there was a problem you know you are in a position to have had a quiet word to me - instead you banned me which really isn't how t hings a re usually done on that forum as well you know.
    Perhaps you'd care to tell me how things are done on that forum ? You do run the whole show after all. Oh wait ...
    6th wrote:
    I would say that its being under moderated (no offense to Psi) Stevenmu came on board when Psi got too busy and yet he's admitted to having little or no time to spare. I know of sereval threads/posts which got heated that they never picked up on - and no I didnt report them because I was involved in some cases. Eitherway these posts where missed.
    I have admitted to not having time to post as much as I like. That does not mean I am not reading the forum completely and keeping an eye on things. Yes there have been threads where things got heated, in some cases I have warned people, in some I have banned people, and yes very often I've done nothing at all, because knowing the people involved I was confident that the situation would resolve itself better without any interference (and any time I've done so that's exactly what has happened). I completely fail to see how this is relevant though.
    6th wrote:
    so is it that I'm doing something so wrong as to get two bans?
    Isn't that the point ?

I regret now using the term backseat moderating, Psi describes it much better "You do tend to throw weight about on threads and at times seem to think that you are in a position to direct other posters.". Psi has given you one example above, when you tried to shut down the chat thread.

Let's look at what has happened here, you decided a poster was a piss taker (it's irrelevant if they actually were or not) and called them on it on-thread (aswell as reporting the post, so you clearly knew what you were supposed to do), you were warned, you proceeded to throw a hissy fit on the thread claiming , you were warned again. You then started throwing your weigth around on another thread and were banned, cue second hissy fit.

You are also now making veiled threats to bring up some completely irrelevant matter in the hope that I will back down. I think you'll find that I am not so easy to push around, and I would appreciate if you either withdraw any insinuations you are making or make them here in full for everyone to see. Put up or shut up.

In the meantime I'm off to dig up some examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

6th wrote:
    The day you break my sisters heart ;)

We you are bigger then me, and raised in tallaght......:rolleyes:

6th wrote:
    Steven, if there was a problem you know you are in a position to have had a quiet word to me - instead you banned me which really isn't how t hings a re usually done on that forum as well you know.

I actually missed this (probably because it wasn't addressed to me). It has reminded me of another point, thanks in part, to Steve. Often times I will PM a user who has made a transgression or post a warning on the thread. I'll keep warning as needed until action is taken.

If I PM someone, the matter is dealt with and just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Now, you have been warned by at least 2/3 mods over a long course of time and you still haven't taken heed.

So obviously something somewhere is amiss. What do you suppose we do when you don't listen to our warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

6th wrote:
    This ban is ridiculous and you just wont admit it. I dont expect you to back down at this stage though.
    I really don't see the point of this thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads,

Stevenmu and 6th

It would be great if you guys held off getting stuck into each other here and see if this can be sorted out off the forum, just give it a rest for one night. Issues are being brought up here that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.
    Using boards to sort this out will only have one outcome if that is what you both want then this is the place to finish off your friendship.
    I've sent a PM to both of you and I ask that you sleep on it tonight.

Regards

Stoner

Stoner as I've said I appreciate the idea but if I back down on this banning like I did on the first one then I'm leaving myself open to a third one.

Plenty of people here have said the ban is unfair and harsh - thats because this ban has very little to do with the reasons given for it.

Psi is reacting based on not knowing all the fact so I cant be too annoyed by the response but I've passed details onto the Admins and hopefully they will get back with a comment soon.

I will address Psi & Stevenmu's comment soon.

psi wrote:
    Ok so I have 2 PMs in the last two weeks asking you to move/clode threads. I delete my PM's sporadically so I can't tell after that, but I know it's been a while before that since I got one.

So its not something I do alot then?
    psi wrote:
    However, you're missing the point. I read the forum every day. I act when I see something that needs acting upon (occasionally when I'm busy and it's not an urgent thing, I'll wait til I have more time - merging threads or correcting typos in thread titles for instance). I know Steve does too and T4TF will act on any reported post he gets (I know cos he beats me to it alot).

If I don't act, it's because I don't really deem it an issue, if I don't act and stevemu and T4TF don't act, it's probably because we're happy with the status quo or haven't been to the forum since whatever non-urgent issue came up.

You are assuming that noone is watching and stuff is going awry. I don't know why you get the impression that the way you want the forum is the way the forum should be.

I very much doubt you and stevenmu read the forum daily as you have both made it clear on here that you have been very busy in the last while. Of course I'm not complaining that you gusy arent around because its just my impression and the forum goes along nicely either way.
    psi wrote:
    It's akin to someone PMing a mod and then complaining that they don't get a response in 12 hours.

I think we both know thats not how I approach things but whatever helps you make me look worse I suppose.

psi wrote:
    Being helpful is well and good, but assuming an air of authority or telling somewhere which forum to post in, is quite frankly not your job.
    psi wrote:
    Telling the mods to close/merge threads that they have probably read is back seat modding.

I dont assume an air of authority but its not my fault if I naturally have one. I also don't tell anyone anything. I make suggestions and they are usually welcomed.

Find me a poster on the Paranormal forum who either (as Steven claims) is made feel unwelcome by me or one who feels I tell them what to do. You'll be hard pressed to find one because I go out of my way to make people feel welcome.
    psi wrote:
    Actually no, the last time you were banned we had a 3-way discussion on the matter and all gave opinions. Steve himself had a change of heart and lifted the ban of his own accord. So if he banned you and unbanned you after talking to him, then that seems like fair modding to me.

We had a 3way discussion after the fact, stevenmu admitted that he was way off for banning me and offered to stand down due to the fact he let a conversation with his girlfriend lead to my ban. Anyway that pm has been passed on now.
    What if they had been serious?

The charter says no abuse/flaming and respect other posters etc. It doesn't say no abuse or flaming and respect other posters unless you think the guy isn't serious.

Go reread the thread before it was edited, I asked about the situation as if it was serious also. Again I didnt refere to the OP as a p*sstaker.
    psi wrote:
    If you have a problem with the post, report it. It's not up to you to correct or moderate posters. Your unwillingness to accept this very simple fact has gotten you in this situation.

I didnt correct or moderate anyone.

psi wrote:
    If someone were to check my last 10 posts on boards at any given time, there is a good chance they'd think I was a troll.

If you had 8 posts, a questionable name and 6 of your posts where in a thread which you started that was deleted then they'd probably be right.
    psi wrote:
    Again, you had no facts about the posters veracity and it's not your job in any case.

Well then maybe it should be. Maybe situations like this wouldnt arise if my back seat modding became front seat modding?
    psi wrote:
    Noone is arguing that at all. What people are arguing is that you seem to think you have some status in the forum that allows you to say how things should be done.

Who is arguing this? You and Stevenmu or the posters who think I should just be let mod it. I dont go around saying how things should be done, I've made it cear that I only make suggestions. Maybe its be simply adding to the growth of the forum taht I'm giving you guys too much work to do? Is it a case of ban me so the posts drop by a few percent and life gets easy?
    psi wrote:
    My last warning for you, now that you have reminded me, was because you took over a thread because you didn't like the way it had gone and abused one of the posters about how she posted, to the point that she offered to leave the forum.

THAT is the example you asked for. You got a warning then if you remember?

People where being refered to as crazies and other over familiarities - breaking the charter. But it was said that it was ok in that thread. Might I ad it was alledgely this mod sanctioned over familiarity which led to my first bogus banning.

psi wrote:
    Why not just keep to the appropriate comments? Other posters aren't your concern. If you don't like their posts, report the post.

Yes lets not bring in the people who ignored stevenmu's warning - they arent the ones he's got personal issues with.
    psi wrote:
    (Pram - Toys) + Drama.

Yes, you are big and clever. Make me out to be a drama queen because I'm not willing to role over and take another unfair ban.

psi wrote:
    He didn't have to ask us. He did come to us afterwards and given the situation we supported them. Believe me, is someone posted any aspect of my personal life without my permission, I'd come down rather heavily on them.

The same personal life he let interfere with my ability to post. There was a very friendly atmosphere in that thread at the time and admittedly I made an honest mistake. Of course this isnt an issue because Stevenmu fully admitted he was in the wrong for banning me. The ban wasnt lift because we made peace, it was lift because it was an abuse of power. Steven can not deny that fact.

psi wrote:
    Again, seeing as I gave you a rather forceful warning about back-seat modding in the past, I don't see how you can rationally come to this conclusion unless you think that I have a personal grude aswell.

You dont have a grub but I'd say you are p*ssed at me. You asked me before not to draw bad attention to the Forum by making feedback threads and complaiining. You told me to come to the mods and we'll sort it amngst ourselves. Well what do I do when iits one of the mods who's the problem.

The question is why does a mod who I've been social with, organised trips with, ran a group with and sat and had drinks with suddenly start banning me and singling me out rather than a quick pm or a chat?

Why was I never banned from the forum before Stevenmu became a mod? Or rather until he took personal issues with me?

You can go post links to where I was a naughty poster (in your opinion) but I can go find 10 times a many where I was helpful, polite and a credit to the forum and community at large.

I finally appreciate why people miss search so much. Basically I've just read back through the most recent two or three pages of the forum. I've skipped over a lot of general "close this" or "move this" or "you should have posted this in ..." posts and stuck to ones that really demonstrate what the problem is.

1st, obviously there's the movies and tv thread which led to the ban. You decided the new thread shouldn't be there, dug up the older thread and stated so in an attempt to shut down the newer thread. I had seen the new thread, realised there was an older one (and actually there's a sticky too), and deliberatly left it to see if it would turn up anything new and interesting.

2nd there's the Ghost In my Attic thread, where you decided to call the op a piss taker, and as you well know, that invariably destroys any thread it happens on, hence the charter rules. You are also well aware that there are 3 moderators who look at reported posts, presumaby this is why you reported it in the first place.

3rd is the chat thread, where after asking for the thread to be closed several times and being told it wasn't going to happen, you told a user to go and post somewhere else.

4th is the Ghosts in the news thread where you alternate between chatting about news articles yourself, and telling people they're not allowed chat about articles, as the mood takes you.

5th is the Aura Photography thread where you jump all over Imprezza for posting recommendations for readings on the wrong thread, after he pissed you off and after you had been doing the exact same thing a few posts previously

6th is a TV alert thread where you decided that the thread had run it's course and needed to be locked. Of course if you're finished posting on a thread than surely no one else would want to.

7th is the Paranormal Terminology thread again telling people what they can and cannot post.

There have been others too that I can't track down right now, like the post Ross castle thread where you chatted and gossiped away like everyone else up to a certain point where you declared people were to stop chatting and the thread was to be locked. IIRC those threads had to be jumbled around quite a bit to suit your liking so the actual post could be lost to limbo at this stage

Like I said, these are just examples from a few pages and my patchy memory. They're also skipping lots of little requests thrown in to threads, because to be honest they aren't really a problem. The problem is the ones like those listed above where you're shutting people out or trying to close down threads because you're finished with them, shutting down discussion because it doesn't suit what you want out of the forum. They are the problem, they are what I've mentioned to you before outside of boards, they are why you have been warned on boards by myself and Psi, and they are why you are now banned.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    So its not something I do alot then?
    Its something you do more than most or normal.
    I very much doubt you and stevenmu read the forum daily as you have both made it clear on here that you have been very busy in the last while. Of course I'm not complaining that you gusy arent around because its just my impression and the forum goes along nicely either way.
    To be frank, its your collection of erroneous impressions that is creating your problem. You are now telling me how much time I spend modding the forum? Based on what knowledge is this?

I think we both know thats not how I approach things but whatever helps you make me look worse I suppose.
    I am not trying to make you look bad. I am trying to make you see reason. If anything is making you look bad it is your lack of appreciation for the point anyone is trying to make.
    I dont assume an air of authority but its not my fault if I naturally have one. I also don't tell anyone anything. I make suggestions and they are usually welcomed.
    Says who? I'm not in your timezone so I get around to reading the forum around lunchtime Irish time. If you PM me something, what makes you think it's not something I would have done naturally?

If anything your actions reek of someone dying to have some air of authority or input, which is why, to be honest, I didn't consider you for mod of the forum before.

I'm not intending to insult you here, I'm merely telling you how you come across to me by your actions.
    Find me a poster on the Paranormal forum who either (as Steven claims) is made feel unwelcome by me or one who feels I tell them what to do. You'll be hard pressed to find one because I go out of my way to make people feel welcome.

I can think of one straight off without searching. I had a 5-6 PM conversation with the poster just to convince them to remain posting after you went after them on thread..

Now lets be clear. I don't care who the person is. I've had a go at cmods and smods over their conduct in paranormal, regarding a poster that I myself banned, so I'm not likely to be biased for co-mods or forum regulars.

I have no knowledge or interest in the people or personalities in the forum I moderate, I do have an interest in the behaviour of the people and personalites in the forum.
    We had a 3way discussion after the fact, stevenmu admitted that he was way off for banning me and offered to stand down due to the fact he let a conversation with his girlfriend lead to my ban. Anyway that pm has been passed on now.
    Ok, so he acted in a way he felt was inappropriate and he apologies and recinded the ban. And you think he is unreasonable how?

Be lucky he did, I can't think many other mods who would recind a ban based on the arguments or protestations of others. In fact only Dappergent springs to mind as a regularly fair and even mod in this regard.
    Go reread the thread before it was edited, I asked about the situation as if it was serious also. Again I didnt refere to the OP as a p*sstaker.
    Missing the point. I don't think any one incident got you banned, I think a plethora of incidents did.
    I didnt correct or moderate anyone.
    Refer to the social thread to see that you quite plainly have.
    If you had 8 posts, a questionable name and 6 of your posts where in a thread which you started that was deleted then they'd probably be right.

Happens alot with newbies who log on, don't read the rules and gets an early smack.

In either case, it's not your place to say in a thread.
    Well then maybe it should be. Maybe situations like this wouldnt arise if my back seat modding became front seat modding?
    Which is really what all this is about to be honest. In fairness to you, and again, I say this for your own good and not to insult you (as with most boards people, I have no positive or negative feelings about you in either case - in fact, I enjoy many of your posts), you do yourself no favours by your behaviour in this regard.

Publically seeking a moderating position on boards, either through words or actions, is the best way to never get one.
    Who is arguing this? You and Stevenmu or the posters who think I should just be let mod it. I dont go around saying how things should be done, I've made it cear that I only make suggestions. Maybe its be simply adding to the growth of the forum taht I'm giving you guys too much work to do? Is it a case of ban me so the posts drop by a few percent and life gets easy?
    To be perfectly frank, the choice of moderators isn't yours or the forum posters so I don't care who thinks who should do what.

If you feel you make a good contribution to the forum, then be happy with that (I agree you do). If you feel that it gives you extra privileges, then you are doing it for the wrong reason and you are mistaken.

If you feel you want to walk away in a huff because you're not getting what you want or feel you deserve, I'm certainly not going to make a concession to appease you. It will be your call, but I'd agree with it not being a favourable outcome.
    People where being refered to as crazies and other over familiarities - breaking the charter. But it was said that it was ok in that thread. Might I ad it was alledgely this mod sanctioned over familiarity which led to my first bogus banning.
    Firstly... Over Familiarity???? In a social thread? Well why didn't you say so!!!! :roll eyes:

Secondly, if you had a problem with it, report the posts. Don't abuse a fellow forum member or suppose you can tell others how to behave or indeed, tell the mods how to moderate the thread.

There was a marked difference over the over familiarity of others and what you got banned for. You basically did something you were specifically asked, by a mod, not to do.
    Yes lets not bring in the people who ignored stevenmu's warning - they arent the ones he's got personal issues with.
    They're not the ones continually doing it though.
    Yes, you are big and clever. Make me out to be a drama queen because I'm not willing to role over and take another unfair ban.
    No, I'm making you out to be a drama queen because, in this thread, you are acting like one.
    I do, they're just wrong.

The same personal life he let interfere with my ability to post. There was a very friendly atmosphere in that thread at the time and admittedly I made an honest mistake. Of course this isnt an issue because Stevenmu fully admitted he was in the wrong for banning me. The ban wasnt lift because we made peace, it was lift because it was an abuse of power. Steven can not deny that fact.
    Again, you're happy that he did, when he considered his actions wrong, recind your ban. But you're thinking he's been out to get you since? No drama there at all.
    You dont have a grub but I'd say you are p*ssed at me. You asked me before not to draw bad attention to the Forum by making feedback threads and complaiining. You told me to come to the mods and we'll sort it amngst ourselves. Well what do I do when iits one of the mods who's the problem.
    Nope, if I have any emotion at all, I would say I'm mildly amused. Incidently, get your fact straight, I asked that if you had a problem with the way the forum was run, to come to the mods. You had made quite a racket on feedback over various pointless stupid things in a short space of time, to the point that DeVore stated that the forum would be closed if it kept up.
    The question is why does a mod who I've been social with, organised trips with, ran a group with and sat and had drinks with suddenly start banning me and singling me out rather than a quick pm or a chat?
    The question is, why do you think your social relationship with a mod should govern how he moderates your posts? Why do you think it should infer special treatment?
    Why was I never banned from the forum before Stevenmu became a mod? Or rather until he took personal issues with me?
    Incorrect, I banned you before Steve was mod. Twice in fact. Once as a slap on the wrist, once to stop you posting while I talked sense into you.
    You can go post links to where I was a naughty poster (in your opinion) but I can go find 10 times a many where I was helpful, polite and a credit to the forum and community at large.

Youre missing the point. This isn't a negative marking points system. Being good and helpful doesn't exempt you from admonishment when you break rules or do something wrong.

stevenmu wrote:
    I finally appreciate why people miss search so much. Basically I've just read back through the most recent two or three pages of the forum. I've skipped over a lot of general "close this" or "move this" or "you should have posted this in ..." posts and stuck to ones that really demonstrate what the problem is.

Ok lets look at them so.
    stevenmu wrote:
    1st, obviously there's the movies and tv thread which led to the ban. You decided the new thread shouldn't be there, dug up the older thread and stated so in an attempt to shut down the newer thread. I had seen the new thread, realised there was an older one (and actually there's a sticky too), and deliberatly left it to see if it would turn up anything new and interesting.

I never decided the new thread shouldnt be there. A new video had just been posted on youtube of the programme about the Enfield Poltergesit. We had discussed the programme and I looked for the post about it to update it with link. Rather than rehash the same points from a thread which had been active only a few weeks before I suggested that maybe linking them would suit.

Does that clear that one up Stevenmu? I have no idea where you got the idea I had a problem with the new thread, maybe its because it was started by a poster you are connected with and know I have had a clash with in the past. As you say yourself your first obligation is to defend her ... isnt that why I received my first ban?
    stevenmu wrote:
    2nd there's the Ghost In my Attic thread, where you decided to call the op a piss taker, and as you well know, that invariably destroys any thread it happens on, hence the charter rules. You are also well aware that there are 3 moderators who look at reported posts, presumaby this is why you reported it in the first place.

Again we've discussed this and its clear from my posts that I simple address the post and suggested that it could be seen as a p*sstake. Which it was by several posters who ignored your warning and flamed the OP ... not that they got banned for outright breaking the charter after a warning. Then again you dont have issues with them do you?

stevenmu wrote:
    3rd is the chat thread, where after asking for the thread to be closed several times and being told it wasn't going to happen, you told a user to go and post somewhere else.

It was turning into a place to throw personal comments at people. The whole discussion of the term Crazies being insulting and off putting to new posters (not to mention the fact it breaks the main point of the charter) was my issue and I suggested that there are Forums for off topic banter such as TCN and After Hours. I believe you bought it up again that mayybe I was picking n it because it was the thread most frequented by the same poster mentioned above. I explained that this wasnt the case that I merely didnt like to be refered to as a crazy and after that it was decided to relax on the name calling. I made a fair point and it was listened too. Again I wasnt reporting posts or starting a feedback thread on it as it would "draw negative attention to the forum".

stevenmu wrote:
    4th is the Ghosts in the news thread where you alternate between chatting about news articles yourself, and telling people they're not allowed chat about articles, as the mood takes you.

stevenmu wrote:
    I suggested that similar to your thread about Paranormal Research that we keep it as a place to post articles and those that people wanted to discuss they could start a thread on. Why is it ok for your suggestiona nd not ok for mine ... because its your forum? We discussed this and it had your backing afaik. Then again it seems good ideas are not longer welcome unless they are yours or made by someone close to you.

stevenmu wrote:
    5th is the Aura Photography thread where you jump all over Imprezza for posting recommendations for readings on the wrong thread, after he pissed you off and after you had been doing the exact same thing a few posts previously

This is one I can semi give you. Imprezza decided to bring a comment I made on another thread into it and continued to make knocks at me. I didnt report the posts (my bad) but the fact that the comment on it were left I presume you only found it now leads me to believe the forum isnt being monitored as it should be. Again I dont remember posting anything insulting to Impreazza and I'm sure he did nt report my posts. I merely pointed out his comments were off topic and a poorly hidden attack on me.

stevenmu wrote:
    6th is a TV alert thread where you decided that the thread had run it's course and needed to be locked. Of course if you're finished posting on a thread than surely no one else would want to.

I can give you that as back seat modding but tbh if I was a mod I would have locked it. I didnt tell anyone to lock it ... again I just suggested it had passed due to it being an alert to watch a TV show when we already have a few threads on TV shows and the like.

stevenmu wrote:
    7th is the Paranormal Terminology thread again telling people what they can and cannot post.

Again this was a case of starting atherad with a specific idea in mind. One you agreed with and you suggested doing it along the lines of the Paranormal Topics thread. A good idea and well done you for coming up with it.

stevenmu wrote:
    There have been others too that I can't track down right now, like the post Ross castle thread where you chatted and gossiped away like everyone else up to a certain point where you declared people were to stop chatting and the thread was to be locked. IIRC those threads had to be jumbled around quite a bit to suit your liking so the actual post could be lost to limbo at this stage

I was organising a trip for people on the forum and simple asked to draw a line under the banter so we could get stuff organised. I really dont think that is too much to ask seeing as I put alot of my time into organising events like this for people. You were one of those people once to and didnt have a problem with how I did things. What changed?
    stevenmu wrote:
    Like I said, these are just examples from a few pages and my patchy memory. They're also skipping lots of little requests thrown in to threads, because to be honest they aren't really a problem.

Not only are they not a problem but they are infact a great help. The forum runs smoother because of suggestions i make and my interaction in general. But you are more than willing to leave all that out now because it suits your agenda.
    stevenmu wrote:
    The problem is the ones like those listed above where you're shutting people out or trying to close down threads because you're finished with them, shutting down discussion because it doesn't suit what you want out of the forum.

Twist it what ever way you like I've addressed your examples above and you will have a hard time finding people I've made feel anything but welcome. Then again you wont even try because you know there are none.
    stevenmu wrote:
    They are the problem, they are what I've mentioned to you before outside of boards, they are why you have been warned on boards by myself and Psi, and they are why you are now banned.

You seem to imaging alot of conversations outside of Boards about these topics that never happened but of course I cant prove that.

Tell me seeing as you've barely spoken to me since the last ban when these chats all take place? You've not been modding the forum that long.

And again I'll ask, why was I never banned before you were a mod or before you took a grudge against me? If anything I've posted alot less in the last 5 months so surely I havent only resently started making trouble on the forum?

Thing is I'm still telling people your a decent guy in mails and pm yet here you are painting me to be someone who bullies posters - Christ you've a short memory.

6th wrote:
    I'm not complaining that you gusy arent around because its just my impression and the forum goes along nicely either way.
    Yes you are complaining about it, altough I've no idea why because A: it's nothing to do with your ban and B: we have both made it clear that we read the forum daily and we do act when we deem it appropriate, not when you deem it appropriate.
    6th wrote:
    You see that's completely irrelevant to anything, it doesn't matter what a poster did or did not do on any other forums. All that matters is what they did on the paranormal forum. They hadn't demonstrably done anything wrong there and yet your 'research' led you to try and convict them and declare it on thread for the world to see.
    6th wrote:
    I dont go around saying how things should be done
    Even in this very post you're telling me how I should handle issues I have with you.
    I don't get it, you're the one who ignored my warning and well, you're already here ?

Ok fine, if you're going to keep making these insinuations let's just lay it out here and explain what happened.

We arranged a trip to Ross castle. My girlfriend, another boards user came along. After the trip, you posted private information about this user, after having been asked not to, and worse you strongly implied that this user (still my girlfriend we're talking about here) was a wasted space on the trip and admitted as much to me via PM afterward (yes I can keep PMs too). I removed the posts. Afterwards my girlfriend, speaking as a boards user, brought the matter to my attention as a moderator and I decided a ban was appropriate. I was worried though about my own personal connection to the matter so I brought it to the attention of Psi and T4TF. I don't want to put words in their mouth, and hopefully they'll correct me if I'm mistaken, but they looked it over and decided the ban was warranted. I still worried though about my personal connection and, even though when I look at it objectivly it was clearly warranted, decided to reverse it. In an effort to keep the peace I sent you a pm apologising and saying I was mistaken.

This, as far as I can see has nothing whatsoever to do with the current situation. That was all water under the bridge as far as I was concerned, but apparantly you were holding it as a trump card to use in veiled threats any time you got a slap on the wrist.

I personally suspect that one of the reasons I was asked to mod the forum is that I am a calm peacemaking type person, and for some reason that forum tends to attract people with volatile egos, and I've tried to keep the peace here. I've told you in person that you cannot tell people what to do on the forum, you've been warned by Psi and myself on the forum, and yet you persisted.

Now, if you have any arguments against the actual reason you have actually been banned for I'd love to hear them. But please stop wasting my time with cries of victimisation and pathetic thinly veiled threats.

psi wrote:
    Its something you do more than most or normal.

Would that be because I post more than most or do I on average have more troublesome posts?
    psi wrote:
    To be frank, its your collection of erroneous impressions that is creating your problem. You are now telling me how much time I spend modding the forum? Based on what knowledge is this?

Based on you saying it yourself in a thread about access to the soccer forum.
    psi wrote:
    I am not trying to make you look bad. I am trying to make you see reason. If anything is making you look bad it is your lack of appreciation for the point anyone is trying to make.

No you want me to take the ban on the chin ... which I am unwilling to do.
    psi wrote:
    Says who? I'm not in your timezone so I get around to reading the forum around lunchtime Irish time. If you PM me something, what makes you think it's not something I would have done naturally?

Both yourself and Stevenmu have suggested that my presence on the forum is a positive one. But its not you guys I'm out to please. I get positive responses from forum users regularily.
    psi wrote:
    If anything your actions reek of someone dying to have some air of authority or input, which is why, to be honest, I didn't consider you for mod of the forum before.

Really because I have PMs from you saying that I would make a goood mod of the forum. Stevenmu can also (but probably wont) that when he was made mod I said that I could never do it as I felt it would affect my freedom to post there.
    psi wrote:
    I'm not intending to insult you here, I'm merely telling you how you come across to me by your actions.

No insult taken, I just think you have this whole situation wrong.

psi wrote:
    I can think of one straight off without searching. I had a 5-6 PM conversation with the poster just to convince them to remain posting after you went after them on thread..

And I wasnt banned because I wasnt at fault, if I remember correctly (and I do) the poster in question is part of this whole thing. I objected to their insults and they offered to leave because I took offense ... hardly paints me as the bad guy seeing as I pm them myself and asked them to stay.
    psi wrote:
    Now lets be clear. I don't care who the person is. I've had a go at cmods and smods over their conduct in paranormal, regarding a poster that I myself banned, so I'm not likely to be biased for co-mods or forum regulars.

Part of the reason I was holding out for you to come on here becuase I know you are not one to side with another mod for the sake of it. I think your reaction is a mix of being annoyed with me for drawing flak on the forum and just being plain wrong.

psi wrote:
    I have no knowledge or interest in the people or personalities in the forum I moderate, I do have an interest in the behaviour of the people and personalites in the forum.

Really because we've had conversations via pm that dont sit into that statement.
    psi wrote:
    Ok, so he acted in a way he felt was inappropriate and he apologies and recinded the ban. And you think he is unreasonable how?

The ban in the first place was unreasonable as is this one. There wasnt really any option but to lift the last ban. The person who was reasonable last time was me for accepting his apology.
    psi wrote:
    Be lucky he did, I can't think many other mods who would recind a ban based on the arguments or protestations of others. In fact only Dappergent springs to mind as a regularly fair and even mod in this regard.

I dont see myself as lucky because a md admitted they were wrong. I see everyone else who hasnt experienced it as unlucky.
    psi wrote:
    blah blah ...
    psi wrote:
    Publically seeking a moderating position on boards, either through words or actions, is the best way to never get one.

And you think I dont know that. Even Stevenmu should have no problem admitting this sisnt about me wanting to be a mod.
    psi wrote:
    To be perfectly frank, the choice of moderators isn't yours or the forum posters so I don't care who thinks who should do what.

With some forums/communities caring even a little is what makes them worthwhile - I see that and I think thats why I get on so well there.
    psi wrote:
    If you feel you make a good contribution to the forum, then be happy with that (I agree you do).

Be happy even when my ability to do just that is taken away from me unfairly?
    psi wrote:
    If you feel that it gives you extra privileges, then you are doing it for the wrong reason and you are mistaken.

Regular posters on the forum know that I put as much time as I do into it is because of a passion for the subect and community - not for a heightened feeling of appreciation.
    psi wrote:
    If you feel you want to walk away in a huff because you're not getting what you want or feel you deserve, I'm certainly not going to make a concession to appease you. It will be your call, but I'd agree with it not being a favourable outcome.

I feel like walking away because I know I wont win this one but if I just accept it I could well be faced with another unfair ban in the future.
    psi wrote:
    Firstly... Over Familiarity???? In a social thread? Well why didn't you say so!!!! :roll eyes:

Yes, sure wasnt it my posting of someones personal life that got me banned from there? I objected to insults ... you can be social without being insulting. Infact that thread has been just that since I raise the issue. I was right at the time but now its being used against me?
    psi wrote:
    Secondly, if you had a problem with it, report the posts. Don't abuse a fellow forum member or suppose you can tell others how to behave or indeed, tell the mods how to moderate the thread.

I didnt report the posts but I did PM a mod about the comments, thats how it got sorted.
    psi wrote:
    They're not the ones continually doing it though.

So its ok to outright flame a poster as long as you doint do it too often? Its hardly something I do regularily now is it?
    psi wrote:
    No, I'm making you out to be a drama queen because, in this thread, you are acting like one.

I'm acting as anyone would who was banned in the wrong. Stevenmu said my ban was for the merge thread but changed his story once people on here began to say it was harse and unfair. Now lots of others things have been dragged up to make the ban look just.

psi wrote:
    Again, you're happy that he did, when he considered his actions wrong, recind your ban. But you're thinking he's been out to get you since? No drama there at all.

Since the ban he's been completely different to me and I'm far from the only one thats noticed it. This is personal for him and I've been suggested a number of reasons as to why t his might be ... some of them make alot of sense.
    psi wrote:
    Nope, if I have any emotion at all, I would say I'm mildly amused. Incidently, get your fact straight, I asked that if you had a problem with the way the forum was run, to come to the mods. You had made quite a racket on feedback over various pointless stupid things in a short space of time, to the point that DeVore stated that the forum would be closed if it kept up.

Well you didnt make that clear. It was more shut up or the forum will be shut, and off course you wouldnt want to loss a forum you mod.

psi wrote:
    The question is, why do you think your social relationship with a mod should govern how he moderates your posts? Why do you think it should infer special treatment?

I dont but then again I wouldnt expect that same relationship to led to a ban.
    psi wrote:
    I banned you before Steve was mod. Twice in fact. Once as a slap on the wrist, once to stop you posting while I talked sense into you.

I dont remember them being bans (i could be wrong) but you asked me not to post. At the end of it all I wasnt banned and the other offending poster was.

Dont get me wrong I am not saying I dont get wound up and that I dont make mistakes - I do. I am far froma model poster but my issue here is that Stevenmu is unable or unwilling to moderate me without prejustice and you have admitted to jsut letting him mod me because he's involved in the forum more. Basically I've been handed to him as his bitch.

psi wrote:
    Youre missing the point. This isn't a negative marking points system. Being good and helpful doesn't exempt you from admonishment when you break rules or do something wrong.

I have never ask for that to be the case, all I have said is that I resent being painted as a bully by Stevenmu and yourself when I am far from that.

stevenmu wrote:
    You see that's completely irrelevant to anything, it doesn't matter what a poster did or did not do on any other forums. All that matters is what they did on the paranormal forum. They hadn't demonstrably done anything wrong there and yet your 'research' led you to try and convict them and declare it on thread for the world to see.

I was the one who didnt say they were taking the p*ss but you need to keep saying that I "convict them and declare it on thread for the world to see" ... thats not what I did at all but sure you edited the post so as to make it easier to ban me.

stevenmu wrote:
    Ok fine, if you're going to keep making these insinuations let's just lay it out here and explain what happened.

We arranged a trip to Ross castle. My girlfriend, another boards user came along. After the trip, you posted private information about this user, after having been asked not to, and worse you strongly implied that this user (still my girlfriend we're talking about here) was a wasted space on the trip and admitted as much to me via PM afterward (yes I can keep PMs too). I removed the posts. Afterwards my girlfriend, speaking as a boards user, brought the matter to my attention as a moderator and I decided a ban was appropriate. I was worried though about my own personal connection to the matter so I brought it to the attention of Psi and T4TF. I don't want to put words in their mouth, and hopefully they'll correct me if I'm mistaken, but they looked it over and decided the ban was warranted. I still worried though about my personal connection and, even though when I look at it objectivly it was clearly warranted, decided to reverse it. In an effort to keep the peace I sent you a pm apologising and saying I was mistaken.

She came along on a trip I organised as a poster not as your fiance. I was never asked not to post about it before hand but was made aware of my mistake after the fact. My comments to you about her unwillingness to participate in the trip where not made publically as you say but in private and where made about her as a guest on the trip not as your fiance ... just as I would comment about anyone else.

From what you said in your pm you stated very clearly that she didnt come to you as a mod but in conversation outside of the forum.

Now you are saying you apoligised and said it was your mistake just to keep the peace? This is whats pushing my hand with regards to posting the pm.
    stevenmu wrote:
    This, as far as I can see has nothing whatsoever to do with the current situation. That was all water under the bridge as far as I was concerned, but apparantly you were holding it as a trump card to use in veiled threats any time you got a slap on the wrist.

I have not been using the situation as a threat but to show that you have a personal issue with me. You may be justifying your ban here but its very transparent to people that know both of us that you attitude towards myself went downhill from there. If it was water under the bridge then why following that did you cut off almost all dealings with the trip on the forum and myself?
    stevenmu wrote:
    I personally suspect that one of the reasons I was asked to mod the forum is that I am a calm peacemaking type person, and for some reason that forum tends to attract people with volatile egos, and I've tried to keep the peace here.

Oh you can mod well (when you do) just not me for obvious reasons. If its my ego you have a problem with then check your own. Was it my ego that constantly offered to share any attention or credit I got? When asked to do radio or when I put all the effort in a group and you didnt even bother to turn up half of the time. Despite playing the attention whore on here those who know me on here know thats not the case.

I laughed the first time someone suggested that you were doing this because you didnt like me getting attention but I'm not laughing now.

Now, if you have any arguments against the actual reason you have actually been banned for I'd love to hear them. But please stop wasting my time with cries of victimisation and pathetic thinly veiled threats.[/QUOTE]

So how long is this ban of mine for by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

weee!

I never want to get off this roundabout!

Seems plenty of people are telling me to just give up ... I'm tempted and it kills me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

6th wrote:
    So how long is this ban of mine for by the way?
    I'm really not sure why that hasn't been decided yet. Psi already said that it's Steven's call.

I agree with Stoner though. I know both you and Steven, you are both very sound people and I think you should give it a rest and try and talk things out in person if possible as this isn't going to go anywhere and really is excruciating to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Seems plenty of people are telling me to just give up ... I'm tempted and it kills me

if you keep at it you'll dig yourself a hole.

All that is needed right now is that steve gives you a timeframe, then you can go to bed and I can go to bed and if the matter needs addressing it will be by the admins.

going on and around like in a very sick roundabout will only make matters worse. (note every other *help I've been banned* thread in existence) If you are right and there are more circumstances to this its up to the admins to make a choice.

the matter between you and steve can go to pm.

goodnight (kisses 6th on forehead)

p.s screw you monkeyfudge!

• Advertisement

Based on you saying it yourself in a thread about access to the soccer forum.
    Are you being purposefully inaccurate? The exact nature of my claim was that I had been inactive for several days due to a family emergency, which was why soccer access requests weren't dealt with.

I said I'm not as involved with paranormal - which is true. It doesn't mean I have stopped reading or moderating.
    No you want me to take the ban on the chin ... which I am unwilling to do.
    Whether you take it on the chin or not neither interests nor bothers me. What i want is for you to acknowledge the actions that have led to this and accept that they won't be tolerated.

Both yourself and Stevenmu have suggested that my presence on the forum is a positive one. But its not you guys I'm out to please. I get positive responses from forum users regularily.
    Fantastic, it still doesn't give you the right to tell (or if you prefer "suggest") to other posters what they can or can't post or where they can or can't post it.

It is this that has gotten you here. It's very simple - it's not a tough concept.
    Really because I have PMs from you saying that I would make a goood mod of the forum.
    Exactly when did I send that PM? Before or after the warnings and feedback threads?
    Stevenmu can also (but probably wont) that when he was made mod I said that I could never do it as I felt it would affect my freedom to post there.
    Great, then we are both agreed.
    And I wasnt banned because I wasnt at fault, if I remember correctly (and I do) the poster in question is part of this whole thing. I objected to their insults and they offered to leave because I took offense ... hardly paints me as the bad guy seeing as I pm them myself and asked them to stay.
    No, you weren't banned before because I thought that a strong warning (and go back and read that post and see just what a strong warning it was) would resolve the issue. It seems I was wrong.

You're AGAIN, missing the point. It doesn't matter what the circumstance was. If you objected to the posts, report the posts, PM me and if you don't get satsifaction, go to the cmod or an smod. That's how it works. What you did was start a load of crap which culminated in you telling a poster to leave the forum. There is nothing that can have happened that gives you the right to take such an action.
    Part of the reason I was holding out for you to come on here becuase I know you are not one to side with another mod for the sake of it. I think your reaction is a mix of being annoyed with me for drawing flak on the forum and just being plain wrong.
    There is no flak on the forum. There is flak on the mods, which is fine, that is what feedback is for.

I have no vested interest here. I don't know you outside of boards and I don't no Steve. I certainly don't know what social interactions you may or may not have.

I do know that the reason outlined for you ban, is something that I have myself noticed and on occasion acted on.
    Really because we've had conversations via pm that dont sit into that statement.
    I've had headaches, but I'm not taking painkillers right now. What's your point?
    The ban in the first place was unreasonable as is this one. There wasnt really any option but to lift the last ban. The person who was reasonable last time was me for accepting his apology.
    You're very gracious.
    Be happy even when my ability to do just that is taken away from me unfairly?
    Your ability to post is taken away because you ignored a mods warning.

The fact that you have some sort of personal issue with the mod is beside the fact. If you REALLY thought that steve was treating you unfairly and claim that you felt I would be impartial (as you just have). Why did I learn about your concerns in a feedback thread and not a PM?
    Regular posters on the forum know that I put as much time as I do into it is because of a passion for the subect and community - not for a heightened feeling of appreciation.
    Well thats good and I'm glad to hear that. However, your enthusiasm doesn't give you the right to direct other posters.
    I feel like walking away because I know I wont win this one but if I just accept it I could well be faced with another unfair ban in the future.
    If you walk away, it is your choice. I do think that you need to actually read what is being said here.
    Yes, sure wasnt it my posting of someones personal life that got me banned from there?
    You're omitting the important "after previously being told not to" from that sentance.
    I objected to insults ... you can be social without being insulting. Infact that thread has been just that since I raise the issue. I was right at the time but now its being used against me?
    You can object without being insulting yourself.

You, at all times are responsible for the content of your own posts and your own behaviour. At no time are the posts or actions of others a reasonable justifcation for ill action.
    I didnt report the posts but I did PM a mod about the comments, thats how it got sorted.
    That is an interesting opinion of what transpired.
    So its ok to outright flame a poster as long as you doint do it too often? Its hardly something I do regularily now is it?
    Now you're just being obtuse.
    I'm acting as anyone would who was banned in the wrong. Stevenmu said my ban was for the merge thread but changed his story once people on here began to say it was harse and unfair. Now lots of others things have been dragged up to make the ban look just.
    I think you've dragged lots of other things up by your behaviour here. You really need to consider what I've been telling you.
    Since the ban he's been completely different to me and I'm far from the only one thats noticed it. This is personal for him and I've been suggested a number of reasons as to why t his might be ... some of them make alot of sense.
    This paranoia is not healthy.

I'm telling you now, you've been one step away from me coming in on several occasions. Steve has usually said something about it first.
    Well you didnt make that clear. It was more shut up or the forum will be shut, and off course you wouldnt want to loss a forum you mod.
    :rolleyes: I believe I handed over all of my mods at one stage, so obviously it's all about modding for me. You're slowly beginning to change from bemusing to irksome now.
    I dont remember them being bans (i could be wrong) but you asked me not to post. At the end of it all I wasnt banned and the other offending poster was.
    How convenient. The other offending poster was banned for their reaction to me, not for the incident in question. Had they had the sense to respond in a more polite manner, they would not have been banned.
    Dont get me wrong I am not saying I dont get wound up and that I dont make mistakes - I do. I am far froma model poster but my issue here is that Stevenmu is unable or unwilling to moderate me without prejustice and you have admitted to jsut letting him mod me because he's involved in the forum more. Basically I've been handed to him as his bitch.
    You really have a way of obtusly twisting things in a most dishonest manner. I implied I allowed you to get away with things because I felt Steve was well placed to know how to deal with the issue and I thought you would respond well to him. He has, on occasion been FAR more lenient with you than I have been.

I have never ask for that to be the case, all I have said is that I resent being painted as a bully by Stevenmu and yourself when I am far from that.
    Again, if you can tell me where I said you were a bully. I have made several accuate statements about your behavior as I have seen it, warnings you have received from me, bans you have received from me and the nature of the incident. If I thought you were a bully, I would have banned you long ago.

Drama ++

Yeah, I think this is going in very pointless circles.

I'm going to suggest this. You and Steve can keep whatever personal issues need to be resolved to PM or if you like, start a thread in PI - I know Beruthiel is always looking for new trafficm - because, and no offence, I don't give a rats ass - this isn't what this is about and it isn't what got you banned.

May I suggest you have a long think about your contribution to your ban (Hint - read my posts) and stop focusing on what you think everone else is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

6th wrote:
    Stevenmu has issues with my backseat modding
    6th wrote:
    Do you have examples of my backseat modding or are you just taking stevenmu's word that thats what I do?
    So its either you do or you don't.

You got warned,you ignored you then got banned.Whats unfair?
    You want everybody to listen to you but you won't listen to the mods warning.As far as im concerned you have been a disruption to the forum after reading this thread in it's entirety.Take your ban and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I haven't read the thread in its entirety as I have more respect for my eyes so I'm probably jumping into the lion's den here....

but...

can you just ban someone for backseat modding? Sure it's probably annoying for some, but can you just decide that it warrants a ban?

I think I quite enjoyed abusing 6th for a long period but come on, it's obvious that he's a decent fella and he's only thinking of the well being of the site.

Banning someone for taking an interest in a forum. Come on guys, cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

fade2black wrote:
    I think I quite enjoyed abusing 6th for a long period
    It's great fun isn't it?

I've got so many photoshoped images just waiting to pounce... But I'll wait till he least expects it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

offs, I'm not reading all that. It will take longer then the ban.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

fade2black wrote:
    can you just ban someone for backseat modding? Sure it's probably annoying for some, but can you just decide that it warrants a ban?

Some forums yes. Rather then back seat moderator press the report post button instead.

I should have known better than to start this thread seeing as there's no way stevenmu will change his mind now.

I've served 1 day of this crazy ban so far but still have no idea how long its for?

Part of the reason I am so annoyed is that Stevenmu has said outright that I make the forum unwelcoming for new posters - can you address this for me stevenmu and back it up or retract it?

Yes I do make suggestions (or backseat mod) the forum, I had no idea it was such a bad thing, neither do alot of posters/mods on here. Ok so some of my suggestions arent welcome or particularily good but still I merely have the best interest of the forum at heart - this isn't about me wanting it done my way.

I post alot on the forum so it stands to reason I will have alot more posts, both good and bad, than most. Its very easy to focus on the bad. I've never been the type to just purposely go against the mods and for the most part have worked well with them.

If/When my ban is lifted I will try not to backseat mod as much but its hard to know now what is and isnt allowed.

Point someone towards a thread that might help them = ban?

Ask for threads to be merged = ban?

I know most of the threads in the forum better tahn most so surely I'm in a position to help someone find something that might help them?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now and see where it goes.

I've discussed this with Psi and T4TF and we all agree that a bane of one week is appropriate. 6th, PM me when the week is up to have your ban lifted.

This ban has been made for the reasons described above and not for any personal reasons. If I did have a personal vendetta against you 6th I could have easily banned you sooner, the two most obvious reasons that come to mind are the post in the chat thread which Psi warned you for and the piss taking comment in the ghosts in the attic thread. Either or both could have earned you a ban and yet you were warned both times, perhaps you should consider why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

6TH wrote:
    If/When my ban is lifted I will try not to backseat mod as much but its hard to know now what is and isnt allowed.
    Banned for a couple of days and at least you recognise why now.There are Mods there already in place and (fortunately/unfortunately i dont know) your not a mod.Just remember a mod does not have to post on a fora they moderate to know whats going on as Stevenmu said already.But you as a regular poster on paranormal should still adhere to the guidelines set out by the mods and accept a warning if its given to you and not ignore/backseat mod which is a couple of reasons why you were banned from there.Dont take it so personal.

Edit:just seen your post stevenmu and a week is fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement