Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Paranormal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

6th, I thought you were a Moderator myself, I have been guilty of coming to you with questions both posted and pm'd, and you always answer them. I appreciate that you take the time to do it.
    It seems that you may have stumbled into mod territory too often and it is unappreciated, which in a way I would understand, but I would also say that the Ghost in my Attic thread was so silly and I don't understand why it wasnt locked sooner, the mod had obviously read it to chastise you first about it.
    I think this whole thing has exploded into a nitpick. Perhaps the moderators don't like non mods throwing their weight around. Which is fair enough, as it is their job, but this just seems rediculous and looks as if this mod is just flexing his muscles to show who's boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

boreds wrote:
    6th, I thought you were a Moderator myself, I have been guilty of coming to you with questions both posted and pm'd, and you always answer them. I appreciate that you take the time to do it.
    It seems that you may have stumbled into mod territory too often and it is unappreciated, which in a way I would understand, but I would also say that the Ghost in my Attic thread was so silly and I don't understand why it wasnt locked sooner, the mod had obviously read it to chastise you first about it.
    I think this whole thing has exploded into a nitpick. Perhaps the moderators don't like non mods throwing their weight around. Which is fair enough, as it is their job, but this just seems rediculous and looks as if this mod is just flexing his muscles to show who's boss.

support++

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Listen guys I'm taking the ban on this and hope that in the future both myself and the mods of the forum can get along better.

At the end of the day my main concern is the forum and its posters. I've had great support from both regular visitors to the forum and memebers of Boards who know that its not all about me throwing weight around - its appreciated more than you guys know and its what is keeping me on here.

Thanks again.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That was a great thread!

Glad we're all friends again.

http://free-zg.htnet.hr/cat-world/pics/friends-cats-large.jpg

seansouth wrote:
    Glad we're all friends again.

We're not, but I'll still let you buy me a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cmon 6th, some posters wear a ban from para like a badge of honour. Youll be missed for the week and then its back to normal business.

Its all done and dusted now and the best thing you can do, seriously, is let it go. Next time you meet steve ffs have a drink together and put it all behind you. Bitching on a thread like this serves only to compound any row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Paranormal should have two bans before you cant post anymore. The second one should be called an exorcism.

And everything you type after the first ban gets converted to "OoooOOooooooOOOoo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

With regard to the ghost in the attic thread.

I was issued with a warning and i didnt ignore it, i didnt post again after that. I knew 6th had received a warning but i didnt know what he had said as it was completely edited out.

However i was quite willing to accept my 'punishment'. It was an oversight by the mod that i wasnt warned sooner, as explained in the thread. i imagine i wasnt banned on the spot because as a relative newcomer, it was my first offence.

I believe the ban wasnt over this thread in particular but that it contributed to a 'build up' of things. I;m not around long enough to comment on 'back seat modding', i suppose a lot of us are probably guilty of that to a certain extent. Its more rare not to see a comment from regular posters in threads regarding grammar, paragraphs, full stops and often times telling people they have posted in the wrong place.

I suppose on foot of this ban the charter may need to be more clearly defined as to what is acceptable and what is not. I imagine it also depends on the mod himself/herself whether or not they find it helpful or a pain in the ass. Some mods may feel undermined when a poster seems to be doing their job for them, others may be glad of the help. And common courtesy to the OP is obviously a must.

I can see his point that it was unfair that only one of us was warned for the same offence, but i did get a warning - it just came a little later. I already apologised in said thread.

6th was the first one to welcome me to the forum and offer advice and make me feel comfortable. I would have no hesitiation in asking for his expertise, at his invitation, which he kindly offered.

I look forward to your future posts when the ban is lifted 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ah sure I was banned loads of times. even sitebanned! Gaycore ftw even though it wasnt me. Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Right, this thread was a debacle but now that some semblence of reason has been restored, I'm gonna clear a few things up.

Firstly, the phrase back-seat modding is a bad one. Noone is saying that helping posters, answering questions or any such action is bad. In fact, it is welcomed.

Personally, I don't feel undermined because there is nothing in moderation TO undermine. All you're trying to do as a moderator is to keep the flow of the forum going and make sure noone is disrupting that.

NOW. Ignoring the **** load of hissy fit drama and personal stuff that really really should be posted in PI (Beruthiel has already given her blessing on this), the issue here is about the standing of certain posters within a community.

Noone can doubt or take away from the fine contribution 6th makes to the paranormal forum. However, I fear that the regard that his fellow posters hold him in, sometimes, goes to his head slightly. Certainly I too am guilty of perhaps being lighter with him than I have been with, say, Zillah in the past (I apologise Zillah). That ended with this thread.

I don't care about the personalities or egos in the forum. I don't care who knows who. If I see another instance of posters being chastised or told what to do (in a non-helpful manner) I will act accordingly.

The fact that 6th has, to some degree, seen the point I was making regarding his behavior has been noted. I'll say that I personally said I wasn't happy with the ban being lifted until this was the case. I'm glad he came to that way of thinking by himself.

Otherwise, this dreadful issue seems dealt with. On a personal note, I might suggest that 6th and steve take the obvious issue between them to PM, or better yet, the pub.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the kind words Trinity, when I get back I'll continue to be helpful if I'm allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

1174329819-408402775_243bd0ec32.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

psi wrote:
    Right, this thread was a debacle but now that some semblence of reason has been restored, I'm gonna clear a few things up.

Firstly, the phrase back-seat modding is a bad one. Noone is saying that helping posters, answering questions or any such action is bad. In fact, it is welcomed.

Personally, I don't feel undermined because there is nothing in moderation TO undermine. All you're trying to do as a moderator is to keep the flow of the forum going and make sure noone is disrupting that.

NOW. Ignoring the **** load of hissy fit drama and personal stuff that really really should be posted in PI (Beruthiel has already given her blessing on this), the issue here is about the standing of certain posters within a community.

Noone can doubt or take away from the fine contribution 6th makes to the paranormal forum. However, I fear that the regard that his fellow posters hold him in, sometimes, goes to his head slightly. Certainly I too am guilty of perhaps being lighter with him than I have been with, say, Zillah in the past (I apologise Zillah). That ended with this thread.

I don't care about the personalities or egos in the forum. I don't care who knows who. If I see another instance of posters being chastised or told what to do (in a non-helpful manner) I will act accordingly.

The fact that 6th has, to some degree, seen the point I was making regarding his behavior has been noted. I'll say that I personally said I wasn't happy with the ban being lifted until this was the case. I'm glad he came to that way of thinking by himself.

Otherwise, this dreadful issue seems dealt with. On a personal note, I might suggest that 6th and steve take the obvious issue between them to PM, or better yet, the pub.

I'm glad the issue has been defused and it wasnt my intent to stir it up again. I'd been following the thread, said nothing. But the issue of me not receiving a ban was a recurring theme and i just felt i should contribute somewhat. I will gracefully take a ban if that is fitting.

I wouldnt have the first clue about being a mod, so dont take my comments above as questioning the moderating of boards, i didnt even know what a spammer was til yesterday :) But i can see this from both sides as i know no-one on boards personally and therefore have no hidden agenda.

Its obvious boundaries have been crossed here, big time. The saying Familiarity breeds contempt springs to mind! Hopefully 6th and stevenmu will eventually be able to sort this out in private from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I can see that I missed a lot!

I kind of stopped reading fully past the second page because it seemed to go on and on and on, so I amn't really 100% sure what went on between after that point and now, although it looks to be sorted, which is good. I hope that 6th and Steven sort out their differences though, because I've met them both and I consider them to be class blokes.... it is a shame that this argument happened in the first place.

I really haven't much else to say besides that... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

6th wrote:
    Listen guys I'm taking the ban on this and hope that in the future both myself and the mods of the forum can get along better.
    Good plan, well taken.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

psi wrote:
    (Beruthiel has already given her blessing on this)

She has? :eek:

Beruthiel wrote:
    She has? :eek:

Yes! You'd be surprised what you agree to without knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I don't think PI is ready for the Paranormal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

psi wrote:
    In my mind, you got fair warning on how to conduct yourself with regards back seat modding and you ignored it.

Telling the mods to close/merge threads that they have probably read is back seat modding.

Being helpful is well and good, but assuming an air of authority or telling somewhere which forum to post in, is quite frankly not your job.

unwelcomed.
    psi wrote:

welcomed.

Nice :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Common, crap like "You're posting in the wrong forum" or "this should be in this topic" is annoying as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

scojones wrote:
    I don't think PI is ready for the Paranormal. :)

MY EXBFS GOHST IS JEALOUS HLEP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

Boston where is Moderator Land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sarky wrote:

Quit posting this stuff FFS. Just laughed out loud in work. :D

I wonder who quickly that would get me banned from PI.

Anna? It's a real problem, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's about that time again...

psychic_cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Sarky wrote:

Who you gonna call? GHOST BUSTERS!

GB2_Vigo_3e4bc6fe7749a2d0dd3821a950df53f6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

That Ghostbusters painting still scares the bejaysis out of me.

GhostBusters II

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055078889

There's a good example of a thread which has some back seat modding (telling someone to go read the charter) where I guess the post hasn't been reported and plenty of digs at the OP which are against the Charter.

Would I be banned for any of these offences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You've been specifically warned by the moderator of the forum. Your'e a special case...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement