Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas heating problem ?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hopefully someone on here can help me.

I have gas heating in the house and for 1 year have had no problems.
    Last night when the heating was on there was an awful noise like someone was hitting the boiler with a hammer in the hotpress.

So I turned off the gas at the clock and it stopped. So I turned it back on again and no noise for about 15 mins then the noise happened again but this time I turned down the dial on the pipe that goes into the boiler tank to 1 and the noise stopped.

This morning the heating came on and after 1/2 hour it started again so I turned the heating off and it stopped.

Ii have rang a plumber but waiting for him to get back to me. But in the meantime does anyone know why this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Turn on the heating again and take a look at the barometer (little dial on top of boiler).
    My guess is needle is banging off the limiter when you're hearing this noise.
    This means too much water presssure in the system.
    There should be an exhaust valve nearby you can twist or press which will allow some water out the overflow.
    If the needle starts falling back keep the valve open until needle falls back to 1 bar.
    The needle should settle.
    If instead the needle rises again, this means the valve from the mains water to heating system is open.This will require a little investigation to locate but try the hot press first.From my experience its usually a small black lever on a silver flexi pipe.
    I've come across this in a few friends' houses, so it might help you out.
    But don't start opening and closing random valves just to see what happens lest you make things worse.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank you.

Will have a look at this this evening and get back on here if it works. Hopefully the plumber arrives by then !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

It may also be the heat exchanger.It may need to be replaced.Just had mine done today.If it sounds like a loud rattling noice, it probably is this.Lime causes it.It cost approx €300 to get it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sorry about the delay in getting back.

The problem was that the dial on the boiler was set too low and when the hot water in the pipes were meeting the water in the boiler it was stopping basically as the dial was too low.

Fixed now !

Thanks for all the ideas.

Advertisement