Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long...?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Moving house on Friday. Just rang BT to move my phone number and broadband. I was expecting a bit of downtime circa 2 weeks/10 working day etc. but i was told it would be between 6-8 weeks before the new place would have the old number and broadband enabled.

Is this normal? Is there an alternative?

Should i just give in and go back to eircom....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitzee

Unfortunately yes. If you're not able to keep your old number, i.e. you're moving to an area served by a different exchange, then there's nothing to be gained in waiting for BT to sort it out. If it was me, I would go back to eircom and move it with them if you're trying to hang on to the number. It will take them 2-4 weeks to take you back and 2-4 weeks to provide a line in the new location & move the number. I was talking to someone today who had no line for three months, still waiting for BT to move it for them and this is (da da-da) not unusual....:o You could order the new line straight away and ask eircom to do a number swap when they have taken the other number back over from BT... Ask them if they'll do that, just will mean you'll have a new line sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh, while i like my number i'm more worried about not having broadband. is it quicker if they don't port the number?

moving from the Merrion exchange to the Beggars bush exchange. Only about 500 yards

If you're moving exchange area you can't bring it with you anyway, so it's moot! Just order a line from eircom then and if you wish get BT to put DSL on it when it's in... What about Digiweb metro instead and skip the phone line at all?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fitzee wrote:
    If you're moving exchange area you can't bring it with you anyway, so it's moot! Just order a line from eircom then and if you wish get BT to put DSL on it when it's in... What about Digiweb metro instead and skip the phone line at all?
    Are you sure you can't move your number? Indeed, you could be right, just curious.

If you're moving from one eircom exchange area to another one, then you can't bring your number with you (assuming it's a standard phone line - you can bring Primary Rate/Fractional Rate numbers in some cases) - through the normal eircom procedure anyway. If you really want to, you could always port the number to e.g. Digiweb Metro or Blueface VOIP and bring it with you that way.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah right. Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

...and to think many ISP's in the UK allow upto 20 working days for house moves, although if done manually and all goes ok that can be cut to 10 working days. (5 w/days to cease, 5w/days to reprovide)

Ireland has a bit to go still :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Beggars Bush, isn't that one of Smart's enabled exchanges? Seeing as you're going to have to through the pain of getting a new line and new broadband connection, you may as well go with Smart and save some money along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

turns out the house doesn't have a connected phone line. will cost 121 for eircon to come out and fix it up.

decided to **** the phone line and order Breeze and talk from Irish Broadband.

now to cancel my BT broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Would recommend having a look into Digiweb Metro if you are going for wireless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement