Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taking a leak on the M50

Options
  • 11-04-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

I was coming off the M50 this morning, sitting in the slip lane for N7.. traffic moving slowly.. had a look in the rear view mirror as you do, there was a truck directly behind me stationary... no driver in the cab but he was standing up on the dirt side taking a leak against his front tyres.. a quick waggle and then jumped back into the cab..

Wonder if he washed his hands in the cab? :rolleyes:

Obviously he wasn't concerned about possible corrosion to his tyres? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is there a point to this post?

If it's whether he washed his hands or not, I'm sure he has learned to stop pissing on them at this stage.

If it's corrosion to his tyres. Tyres are made of rubber and do not corrode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

testicle wrote:
    Is there a point to this post?

Yes, clearly as an adult, you would expect the chap to be able to keep control of his bodily functions. Any self-respecting adult, wouldn't be taking a leak at rush hour on the M50 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Either way it was probably the best flow seen on the M50 in years....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It is something that I have been wondering about lately....why doesn't Ireland have motorway service stations like those in the UK? Granted the M50 might be a bit busy/crowded to support one...but the M1/M4 could surely do with one or two.

Good point. At things stand on the M50, a mobile Starbucks would probably do good business.
    fletch wrote:
    It is something that I have been wondering about lately....why doesn't Ireland have motorway service stations like those in the UK? Granted the M50 might be a bit busy/crowded to support one...but the M1/M4 could surely do with one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fletch wrote:
    Those highly paid, sensible people in the NRA (not the gun crowd!) believed that it wasn't necessary to provide resting facilities along out motorway 'network'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just a thought, is it illegal to stop on the hard shoulder unless it's a legitimate emergency/breakdown?

I often see people dropping off their builder buddies at the bottom of an off ramp and then go along their merry way forcing their way into traffic again. Also quick stops for mobile phone calls seem to be in order as well. :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's illegal in the UK, but is it in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Dyflin wrote:
    Just a thought, is it illegal to stop on the hard shoulder unless it's a legitimate emergency/breakdown?

I often see people dropping off their builder buddies at the bottom of an off ramp and then go along their merry way forcing their way into traffic again. Also quick stops for mobile phone calls seem to be in order as well. :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's illegal in the UK, but is it in Ireland?

I've seen Guards sent the builder mates back up off the M50 before. I have also seen drivers who cut across the hatched area to get to an exit quicker being pulled over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:
    Those highly paid, sensible people in the NRA (not the gun crowd!) believed that it wasn't necessary to provide resting facilities along out motorway 'network'.

I believe they have changed their mind on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Quote of the week! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are correct Testicle (hence why I used the word 'believed').
    They have done the U-turn due to public pressure. It will be 2010 before something arrives AFAIK though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Travelling with small children (or older adults) has become a nightmare since we moved to more motorways. At least in the past we had easy accesss to toilets and other services en route. Now you can go from Dundalk to Portlaoise with no services along the way. I tried 2 garages on the N7 at one stage but the toilets were OOO in both. It can be a long two and a half hours!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Good point. At things stand on the M50, a mobile Starbucks would probably do good business.

Unfortunately, when you need it most, nothing is mobile on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Did anyone see the article in the Evening Herald about thoe bags that you pee into and it solidifies. They were marketing them at commuters. I don't think it was the April 1st edition either. The inspiration was the water main emergency a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Was there some guy on Newstalk interviewed recently about some new product for motorists who needed to take a leak whilst in traffic?

It sounded like an ingenious device in that the said receptacle catered for both genders, without the need for any modification.
    Twas supposed to be selling like hot-cakes too!:D

Looks like Ballooba beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

the guy was on the last word, it was aimed mainly at women, well was in their shape anyhow...

it was aimed mainly at women, ...

Do you not mean women aimed mainly at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Max_Damage wrote:
    Quote of the week! :D

Agree, excellent! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ballooba wrote:
    Did anyone see the article in the Evening Herald about thoe bags that you pee into and it solidifies. They were marketing them at commuters. I don't think it was the April 1st edition either. The inspiration was the water main emergency a few weeks back.
    It was used in an old Top Gear eps where they stayed 24hrs in a Smart. I've often wondered about the lack of pit stops on Irish motorways, in Italy the Agip ones are very common and very nice for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

fletch wrote:

I'm a planning student and I asked my lecturer this lately and he said that no provision was made for services off the carriageway in the original planning of the M50 and they simply "couldnt be bothered" rectifying it afterwards. He also said that we didn't have enough of a motorway network to justify the price of acquiring the land.

This brought a tirade of abuse from the tree huggers in my course, that we should even be discussing motorways/cars/private transport. I had the last laugh though, it pi$$ed rain the same day, passed em all out trudging home by foot and by bicycle in my nice warm car!! :D

I'm working on the new Mitchelstown to Cashel motorway at the moment and there appears to be provision for petrol stations, rest stops etc. at the sides. here's hoping anyways.

IMO nothing wrong witht taking a sneaky leak as long as he wasn't flashing it about!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

What is the longest "motorway" in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, clearly as an adult, you would expect the chap to be able to keep control of his bodily functions. Any self-respecting adult, wouldn't be taking a leak at rush hour on the M50 IMO.

Did you ever think that the poor chap in the truck had been driving since the small hours of the morning and that he simply just couldn't hold it in any longer? I'm pretty sure he didn't want to take a leak on the side of the road in full view of other motorists, but maybe he had to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

DonJose wrote:
    What is the longest "motorway" in Ireland?

Isn't it the M1? Could be wrong though.

Maybe the beer was running thru him and floodgates had opened.
    Did you ever think that the poor chap in the truck had been driving since the small hours of the morning and that he simply just couldn't hold it in any longer? I'm pretty sure he didn't want to take a leak on the side of the road in full view of other motorists, but maybe he had to?

Anyway all joking aside, it was mildly amusing. Personally I would probably have used a bottle, obviously the wide top variety.

The real problem, as pointed out by many posters, is the complete lack of facilities on the so called motorways and national roads of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

our road infrastructure is a joke for a developed nation, we are been fleeced by the government. (out with bertie!!!!).

apart from apalling roads in most of the country, tail backs in every nook and cranny of a town the length and breath of the land etc, there is almost zilch service from petrol stations, (if there are any at all). toilets and basic things like water and air are fast becoming non existent.

i drove from dublin to cork few months ago, at night. not ONE petrol station was open. had to drive all the way to cork city to fill up. Unfreakinreal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

legs11 wrote:
    i drove from dublin to cork few months ago, at night. not ONE petrol station was open. had to drive all the way to cork city to fill up. Unfreakinreal.....

FYI there is a 24 hour station in Mitchelstown. I know it's now bypassed but they are there if you're ever stuck again!!;)

EDIT: Forgot the one in Fermoy closed last year

Personally I would probably have used a bottle, obviously the wide top variety.
    And you're so modest too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Having recently returned form round the world trip that included Singapore, Oz, NZ, US and UK, it becomes so obvious how bad our infrastructure is the moment you land at Dublin airport.
    It is third world in comparison to all above countries. NZ is closest and they have had nothing like the economic boom we have enjoyed over last 10 years.

We now have all the costs of a developed country like Sweden or Finland but not the infrastructure of these countries.
    We are a complete joke with our national transport plans.

My tuppence worth, next time the trucker should try and drive to Kildare street and deliver his personal load there.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

*joins the queue to pat OldmanMondeo on the back and shake his hand for the funniest post yet*

Advertisement