Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat and the petrol warning light

Options
  • 11-04-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have an Ibiza 1.2 and have had trouble figuring out how far I can go when the petrol warning light comes on and makes the immensely annoying noise. I obviously don't want to completely empty my tank (as I understand it, there's bound to be some dirt at the bottom of the tank that I don't want getting into the engine) but approximately how far could I go before I would need to fill up? Obviously, speed, acceleration, gear changes etc should be taken into account,but say on a perfectly straight road travelling at the legal 100kph.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Many cars have the light kick in with about 8 or 9 litres left. However, letting the car run this low isn't good for the fuel pump which uses the fuel in the tank as a coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

kbannon wrote:
    Many cars have the light kick in with about 8 or 9 litres left. However, letting the car run this low isn't good for the fuel pump which uses the fuel in the tank as a coolant.
    So basically, the light coming on is more of a "get to a filling station now, you muppet" than a "ah, sure, you could probably get another few miles out of it"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I tend to use that philosophy. I do my best to avoid the light ever coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

corblimey wrote:
    So basically, the light coming on is more of a "get to a filling station now, you muppet" than a "ah, sure, you could probably get another few miles out of it"
    You could get a few more Ks out of it but it's not recommended I drove about 20 K or so with the light in a Polo and there was no reaction at all by the car so there was still plenty of juice left but I won't be repeating that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

from experience with the 1.2 3cyl Ibiza you have max about 35miles at very handy driving not in traffic. That could be reduced to 20 miles at 100kph+

• Advertisement
Advertisement