Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.338 Lapua

Options
  • 11-04-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Has anyone come across rifles chambered for .338. I hear the yanks are treating it as the next big thing in long range target shooting, good for 1,000m to 1,500m.
    I think SAKO make a version of the TRG to fire it.
    Just wondering if anyone came across it here or abroad and what legal difficulties might it present if I was to try and buy one for this part of the world.
    Probably the only range that could give it a good test would be the midland rifle club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

All i know is that .338 is replacing 7.62 in the snipers roll in quiet a few countrys Armies. Our own army have AI's chambered to suit this caliber. Considering the past thinking by the powers that be in this country on such matters it could be a tough one to get licenced. But i could be wrong:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

From what i understand it is D long range calibre the only better being 50bmg.

Think midlands is only 600 but once you get permission theres plenty of places you could shoot 1000yards just need permission mallow might even catter for it.

Good luck trying to license it here though. Cant see it happening unless you have a good few years of experience and license's under your belt and they know you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

it may be new enough to not be noticed

wishfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

I already have 2 shotguns, a .22lr and a 9mm pistol and in a shooting club for a few years so I'm not that worried about the actual licence since 30-06 have been licenced in the area, more worried about price of ammo and can santy fit it down my chimney ha ha.
    From what I have heard it is the future of long range shooting, even at 600m it would give a noticeable advantage over .308 or 30-06.
    But I would like to talk to someone who might have actually shot one or has one.
    I hear the recoil can be a bit on the hardy end of the scale.
    But probably not as much as a 12gauge with 3 inch BB's.

Advertisement