Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with job insecurity

Options
  • 11-04-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

As I have mentioned in numerous threads before, permanent lecturing jobs are few and far between. It appears that is the case in teaching too.

I left a relatively good IT job to take a lecturing position. It was made clear that it was a temporary position, with no guarantees that the contract would be extended. As it turned out, the hours weren't there for me, so I am now back in a regular 9-5 job, lecturing in the evenings.

I don't regret taking the risk - it didn't work out, it happens. What I did have great trouble with was the insecurity, the not knowing if I would have a job the following September. Looking at job adverts for lecturers now, they are all TWT (Temporary Whole-time), mostly one year contracts. I am reluctant to take the risk again.

My point being, it sounds like it is the same story for teachers. How do you deal with it? I have a mortgage (and a wife!) and bills to pay, I don't like the thoughts of jumping from one college to another every year until someday I get a permanent position. I love lecturing, but I hate insecurity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Yeah I didnt realise that security thing ws such a big deal till recently......I've been teachin since graduation in 2004 and thankfully I've got a TWT position now. My main hope is to hang onto my current job for 3 more years and Get a C.I.D (contract of indefinate Duration)where u'll be granted most of the benefits of a permanent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

I think the whole permenent pensionable thing is under threat anyway. For instance I think anybody hired in the IT's will be signing a contract with their IT's director as apposed to the Dept of Education, as was previously the case.

Advertisement