Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Branded wear

• 11-04-2007 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired in part by the A&F thread, but also by the clothing industry in general. Do people actively seek out clothes with obvious branding on them? I realise all clothes are branded to a degree, but there is a difference between a small label on a pair of blend jeans and having Nike or A&F or whatever emblazoned on your chest. Personally I don't like that sort of clothes, as I don't want to seem like a walking billboard for these companies (or any company). At the same time though I have a few band t-shirts and hoodies which I like for that basic reason really. I hope it doesn't sound hypocritical, it just comes down to who I would like to "advertise" if you will.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

I feel similarly to yourself brian. I don't like the thought of being a walking billboard, but ultimately humans are social creatures who judge people on first impressions, and how you dress makes up a huge part of your first impression.

People will wear brand names because the brand itself has an image (to a certain degree) of for example; exlusivity, of being upper-middle class, going to a good school and that kinda thing. We buy into the brands because they add to our self-esteem and help us and our peers to better recognise who we are/want to be as people, or how we want to be seen.

When a group of your friends all wear Abercrombie, the chances of you running about in a Gola top is miniscule because nobody (conciously or unconciously) wants to risk bucking the norm for their particular social group and risk punishment in the form of the silent treatment, exclusion, or any number of other things. There is a huge safety in being part of a group, i.e "Goths" or "D4's". You know how to talk, how to dress, where to hang out, and naturally people will fear exlusion if they buck those trends.

What I find most interesting is that social groups who make an effort not to wear branded clothing do so for the exact same reasons as those who parade around in A&F.

In many cases long black dresses and dyed black hair become the Abercrombie of that particular social group. If someone in a group full of 'goths' decided she liked an Abercrombie top, the chances are she'll never wear it because she fears being excluded from her particular social group. She wears dark makeup and unfitted dark clothing for the exact same reason that another girl wears fake tan and expensive American brand names.

I think I drifted off the topic a bit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I wear designer clothing but I don't single something out in a shop due to the degree of branding. In fact, most of my stuff the branding is discreet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as long as it fits me, looks well, and doesn't have a stupid price to quality ratio i'll wear it.

for example i'd wear one of those abercrombie/american eagle shirts with the small deer/eagle logo on the chest pocket but i would not pay over 70 dollars for one (ie. only would buy one if in america and needed to buy shirts).

that being said i don't like clothes with huge feck off logos on them think of them manky lecoqsportiq hoodies with that big cock in the triangle. that's a no no on so many fronts.

Those things are woeful indeed Cremo, horrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Comes down to comfort as well though, and what you feel comfortable wearing in your own home when you're not advertising anything to anyone. I'd have no problem wearing A&F indoors, I'd wear almost anything people would buy for me as presents, but I would be a bit more picky spending my own cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like the A&F hoodies because they're bright and cheerful! I don't have one though, why not? I could get far nicer things for €100 and I'd rather get thre lovely things in topshop for €100 than one nice enough hoody.

"But why don't you buy a bright and cheerful hoody from Dunnes or Pennys?" I hear you exclaim, well that'll look very much like I'm trying to look like I'm wearing an Abercrombie hoodywithou wearing an Abercrombie hoody, if you get what I mean, and I'm not THAT much of a poser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

There is a clothes label for people who don't like labels - American Apparel, which to be honest I really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Inspired in part by the A&F thread, but also by the clothing industry in general. Do people actively seek out clothes with obvious branding on them? I realise all clothes are branded to a degree, but there is a difference between a small label on a pair of blend jeans and having Nike or A&F or whatever emblazoned on your chest. Personally I don't like that sort of clothes, as I don't want to seem like a walking billboard for these companies (or any company). At the same time though I have a few band t-shirts and hoodies which I like for that basic reason really. I hope it doesn't sound hypocritical, it just comes down to who I would like to "advertise" if you will.

Opinions?

I wear A&F t-shirts cos i really like the way they fit,their large fits me perfectly i dont really mind if it ha a large A&F all over it,the only bad thing that comes from it is stereotyping! But i like wearing pink shirts,i really like the way they feel and fit. But when it comes to trousers GAP is a great place to go,they always have great fitting stuff or canterbury cos there so easy to wear round the house or to the gym.

If u think of all the major expensive brand (e.g armani,boss,gucci) they dont have brands on them,its just the comfort that counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I feel similarly to yourself brian. I don't like the thought of being a walking billboard, but ultimately humans are social creatures who judge people on first impressions, and how you dress makes up a huge part of your first impression.

People will wear brand names because the brand itself has an image (to a certain degree) of for example; exlusivity, of being upper-middle class, going to a good school and that kinda thing. We buy into the brands because they add to our self-esteem and help us and our peers to better recognise who we are/want to be as people, or how we want to be seen.

When a group of your friends all wear Abercrombie, the chances of you running about in a Gola top is miniscule because nobody (conciously or unconciously) wants to risk bucking the norm for their particular social group and risk punishment in the form of the silent treatment, exclusion, or any number of other things. There is a huge safety in being part of a group, i.e "Goths" or "D4's". You know how to talk, how to dress, where to hang out, and naturally people will fear exlusion if they buck those trends.

What I find most interesting is that social groups who make an effort not to wear branded clothing do so for the exact same reasons as those who parade around in A&F.

In many cases long black dresses and dyed black hair become the Abercrombie of that particular social group. If someone in a group full of 'goths' decided she liked an Abercrombie top, the chances are she'll never wear it because she fears being excluded from her particular social group. She wears dark makeup and unfitted dark clothing for the exact same reason that another girl wears fake tan and expensive American brand names.

I think I drifted off the topic a bit!!!

I'd definately agree with this, well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishstyle

I personally will generally wear designer clothing myself. I love Hugo Boss but there is usually not too much branding on their clothes. Armani Jeans have subtle branding, depending on the garment.

I think it is about fitting into the group though, rather than advertising. In college in the nineties, 501s were as designer as it got for me and everyone wore them. It wasnt a question of advertising Levis but fitting in. One element in college only wore Ralph Lauren (beyond me back then) and while one or two were walking billboards for RL, I would say most of the others were fitting into their own group.

So I dont think i advertise Hugo or Armani when wearing their clothes, but I like them, feel comfortable. the weird thing about designer clothes is that even without branding other people who wear them will instantly recognise another person's Boss or Armani or Gucci. Maybe there is a comfort in that - belonging to a select group? I dont know. I maybe need to find out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

im probably the same like most on here. i wear designer clothes but don't go purposely label whore-ing. it all boils down to what you find suits you and your personal style. also believe to never pay full price for anything unless an item calls out to me and say nina, try me on you'll look hot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

yep. Mahon point Lacoste store. I wish i was their best customer....
    I usually only wear Jack & Jones jeans too because of the fit and they are the only jeans to have bootcut/flared ends.
    2 brands i would definately never wear though are fred perry & Burberry. Instant knacker!

I don't think that "knackers" would exactly cross the road to avoid Lacoste either :D

Not knocking FP or Lacoste, mind, have worn both in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

although i wear mainly designer stuff i still wouldnt desciminate in wearing anything that wasnt,as long as it looks good and doesnt have any marking at all then its grand.the only thing i must admit is that i probably wouldnt wear anything that has any marking of st.bernard or cs active or the likes on it,no matter how small the logo or marking is.

i have a ridiculous amount of tommy hilfiger jumpers and i really have to say that you really get good wear out of them,ive had a navy one for 2 or 3 years now and it still hasnt aged.i really have no problem at all buying designer clothes because i think you definatly get much better wear outta them than you would of any topman or river island or pennys clothing.oh ya hate those billboard clothes too,theyre ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Ah I don't really get the designer thing, most of my clothes is picked up randomly wherever its cheap, I've one band hoodie, which I doubt counts. Most of my stuff is simply New Look or Penneys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I try not to wear stuff that just has a brand name on it. I like stuff that is plain, or has a motif I like on it. I do like some labels that create nice clothes, such as Hell bunny but mostly I just buy clothes I like (and they generally are from Penneys or H&M).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I hate designer clothes for just that reason. Men's designer t-shirts these days tend to be some gaudy "exploded" piece of crap with the designer's name written across it in big letters that a Sydney drag queen would blush to wear. I can't imagine people walking into a shop, trying it on and thinking : "You know, those snot green and pus yellow stripes look really good on me". They're going out and spending upwards of 60 quid on a t-shirt with a designer's name on it just to proclaim to the world : "Look at me! I'm a fashion victim with more money than sense!".

'course - I dress like a tramp.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

maxi-twist wrote:
    I wear A&F t-shirts cos i really like the way they fit,their large fits me perfectly i dont really mind if it ha a large A&F all over it,the only bad thing that comes from it is stereotyping! But i like wearing pink shirts,i really like the way they feel and fit. But when it comes to trousers GAP is a great place to go,they always have great fitting stuff or canterbury cos there so easy to wear round the house or to the gym.

If u think of all the major expensive brand (e.g armani,boss,gucci) they dont have brands on them,its just the comfort that counts

That's the funny thing about branding, at the lower end of the scale its all brash, because the demographic the company aims for want to show that they spent a wad of cash on something that's considered desireable. But then when you move further upmarket branding becomes discreet, but people will still know that you bought something expensive because of the lack of obvious branding. (Signs and symbols people!)

@ Scientist, Blend jeans do great flares and boot cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"@ Scientist, Blend jeans do great flares and boot cuts." Where would you purchase said jeans ?

TK

Um, the only place I know of in Castlebar. I haven't been clothes shopping in ages. You might want to google it, or set up a new thread, cause I honestly don't know where you'd get them.

• Advertisement

yep. Mahon point Lacoste store. I wish i was their best customer....
    I usually only wear Jack & Jones jeans too because of the fit and they are the only jeans to have bootcut/flared ends.
    2 brands i would definately never wear though are fred perry & Burberry. Instant knacker!
    Are you having a laugh? Burberry is one of the best brands of clothing there is. It is one of the oldest brands and the quality is very good. I guarantee you that any 'knacker' that you think is wearing Burberry isn't, guaranteed fake.

While its true that 90% of that stuff is knock off, since its knocking off the brand it has denigrated burberry's image, regardless of whether the clothes of another person (say the scientist) are genuine or not.

Are you having a laugh? Burberry is one of the best brands of clothing there is. It is one of the oldest brands and the quality is very good. I guarantee you that any 'knacker' that you think is wearing Burberry isn't, guaranteed fake.

Colm, i know you know your designers, but lots of english knackers (chavs) were very real burberry and would know and avoid fakes as good as us. Fact is that the burberry check is downmarket and that is why you dont see burberry promoting the check as much.

I do agree that burberry clothes are good but i was not impressed with them closing that facotry in wales and giving the staff burberry vouchers as compo or something like that, then moving the whole shebang over to china.

irishstyle wrote:
    Colm, i know you know your designers, but lots of english knackers (chavs) were very real burberry and would know and avoid fakes as good as us. Fact is that the burberry check is downmarket and that is why you dont see burberry promoting the check as much.

I do agree that burberry clothes are good but i was not impressed with them closing that facotry in wales and giving the staff burberry vouchers as compo or something like that, then moving the whole shebang over to china.
    Yes, you are correct about such english people and I know there is a certain stigma about the check but Burberry is a very high end fashion label. It was the Burberry check hat that was a huge mistake and has owed largely to the 'chav' following. However, I don't think you can label anyone who wears Burberry as a 'knacker'. I myself have a Burberry jacket and I am certainly not a knacker. I don't like the items which are covered in the check but that is mere personal choice. Burberry is an excellet clothing brand.

Yes, you are correct about such english people and I know there is a certain stigma about the check but Burberry is a very high end fashion label. It was the Burberry check hat that was a huge mistake and has owed largely to the 'chav' following. However, I don't think you can label anyone who wears Burberry as a 'knacker'. I myself have a Burberry jacket and I am certainly not a knacker. I don't like the items which are covered in the check but that is mere personal choice. Burberry is an excellet clothing brand.

So what other designer brands do people wear and what got people into labels , especially us blokes.

irishstyle wrote:
    So what other designer brands do people wear and what got people into labels , especially us blokes.

I have to admit I like classic labels like Gieves and Hawkes, Paul Smith, Miu Miu/Prada, Dior, Boss and Aquascutum. I have also had suits made. Also like retro trainers, lacoste and fred perry shirts etc. I don't really buy label jeans (unless you count Levis and Wranglers) or t-shsirts. I tend to end up buying suit jackets, shoes, overcoats etc when buying labels.

However, I wouldn't wear indiscreetly branded stuff and certainly shop regularly on the high street in places like Zara as well.

I also think you can look good no matter what labels you do or don't wear. It's all about preference.

I don't set out to buy labels first and foremost. When I buy them, its usually because I am looking for something different and happen to find it there. If I can find it for cheaper, I'll buy it but I'm definitely prepared to pay more for stuff I really like.

irishstyle wrote:
    I am interested in fashion and clothing for some time. Some of my favourite labels are: Paul Smith, D & G, Hugo Boss Orange Label and Black Label ( I don't like Hugo Boss Green Label), Stone Island, Nudie, Prada Sport, John Smedley, Armani Jeans, 7 For All Mankind, Tsubi and Jhung Yuro.

I love the Burberry trenches, they're so classic, and even the checked lining doesn't look knackery. I wear Tender Touch by Burberry (perfume) and it has a gorgeous scent which is very "me" (so I'm told!) but I'm a bit reluctant to tell people it's Burberry cos of the stigma around it.

Piste wrote:
    I love the Burberry trenches, they're so classic, and even the checked lining doesn't look knackery. I wear Tender Touch by Burberry (perfume) and it has a gorgeous scent which is very "me" (so I'm told!) but I'm a bit reluctant to tell people it's Burberry cos of the stigma around it.
    The trench is a classic. It has got its name because Burberry supplied officers in WW1 with coats. I would love to get one some day. Don't be ashamed of wearing Burberry, it is quality and very high end.

• Advertisement

Oh I know that it's quality and I love my perfume to bits and might someday get a trench, but I just don't want anyone knowing about it ;)

Piste wrote:
    Oh I know that it's quality and I love my perfume to bits and might someday get a trench, but I just don't want anyone knowing about it ;)

Just be careful though Piste, you never know where it may all end up... :p

Advertisement