Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in the US

Options
  • 11-04-2007 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Guys, I'm going to America soon, to visit a friend. I want to rent a car. Does anyone know will my license (full licence) be sufficient, or do I need any forms, etc, to fill out?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

You'll need an international licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

davyjose wrote:
    Guys, I'm going to America soon, to visit a friend. I want to rent a car. Does anyone know will my license (full licence) be sufficient, or do I need any forms, etc, to fill out?

Cheers

Your Irish full license will be sufficient.

My brother lives in LA, I've been over 5 times in the last 6 years, and each time I rented a car or jeep.
    So I'm speaking from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

An international driver's license is only accepted together with a valid driver's license of the country of residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

beerbaron wrote:
    You'll need an international licence
    Incorrect! I have driven there 6 times in the past 2 years. Hired a car each time with my Irish licence. Got an International Licence many years ago and didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

davyjose wrote:

Cheers

Your full Irish license will be fine. I was there about two years ago and my full license was all i needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Awesome guys - cheers. I think I'll risk it without the international Licence - I thought I may need one, but had also heard stuff to the contrary. But sounds like anyone who's been over didn't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

International Driving Permit is only a translation of your licence, U.S. states only require it if your home licence is not written in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I agree with the above poster, the international driver licence is only needed in non English speaking countries as a translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

gabhain7 wrote:
    International Driving Permit is only a translation of your licence, U.S. states only require it if your home licence is not written in english.

Not strictly true.. some countries have special arrangements with the US in regard to driving licenses. My mate who is German has used his german license many times before to rent a car while we were over in the US. It doesnt have a word of english on it. He's living over there now and can even use his german license for a year before having to apply for a US one.

Advertisement