Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into promoting

• 11-04-2007 1:28pm

...not in any serious way. Just been contacted by an Eastern European who wants to start up a club in the local town and wants help. He can arrange the djs, but knows nothing about insurance, security, exemptions etc. I can talk to a local publican about getting one night a week on second floor in his place. Is there any galringly obvious thing one should know about, any tips for getting people in, and standard problems that always arise etc. etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

The venue should include insurance etc in their fee. If your charging in, make sure you have someone you really trust collecting money!! Or if your not charging in keep an eye on the bar recipts through out the night if your getting a % of the bar. Bar owners can shaft you at the end of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

it's a great way to lose some money!

here;s a few posts i made in a thread on dogsonacid a while back relating to the same thing...
    never book two dj's who are good mates on the same night - make sure you always book dj's who hang out with different crowds of people so they bring different crowds of people...

have a mate at the door with a clipboard to count the people coming in.

have a guy who makes sure the bouncers don't turn away people for no apparent reason [i once heard the bouncer at a gig i was playing at - not one of my own thankfully - telling a bunch of girls "aah no yis don't want to go in here there's drum and bass on tonight" ] knowing how many people turn up is an essential part of the art of not getting ****ed out of your money.

other than that, putting on nights is a lot like having a job except you won't make money out of it. if you break even nd get a few great nights out / gigs / women out of it you'll be doing well.

also... vary the music, switch it up, keep it chill for the first hour or two if the place isn't too full - noone wants to walk into an empty club and see three people sulking in the corner to the sound of limewax at earsplitting volume.

another nice trick::: book a hip hop or a breaks dj to open the proceedings.

also, try and have CLEAR DIVISION OF LABOUR and maintain CONSTANT COMMUNICATION

have ONE guy who is the final authority on the soundsystem on the night and whose word is LAW

make sure the work is spread out and that EVERYONE does their share of flyering...

drinks sponsorship is a good way to go, most drinks distributors will have a local area rep who has the authority to sort out drinks promotions etc... a bit of legwork and sweet talking goes a long way...

also, for the guestlist etc - don't be afraid to be harsh... give the dj's a plus one but that's IT... or you'll end up with a snowballing situation... next week the club is rammed and you still owe the venue money...
    and don't plug the mic in until the place is packed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

and don't plug the mic in until the place is packed
    or ever...
    there's nothing like a **** mc to ruin otherwise good music:mad:

well, i posted that on a drum and bass board, you wouldn't have one at a deep house night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I was referring to my limited experience of D&B nights/live recordings... can't think of one set where the MC was actually an additive tbh

• Advertisement

here;s a few posts i made in a thread on dogsonacid a while back relating to the same thing...

Excellent, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

One good tip is to have DJ's who play different styles on the nite that was everyone is happy, for example you could have someone play an old skool set, someone play an electro house set, maybe a Drum & Bass set and Techno one as well, they are the best nites when you have a mixture of music.;)

Thanks for all the tips.

Getting venue free, they will provide a doorman too, gonna just have a private party for 100/150 or so and collect a fiver or tenner from each to cover exemption and give a few shekels to the djs for their efforts.

If there is an incident, say someone gets a glass in the face, I presume standard pub insurance covers it and the organisers of the private party are indemnified?

Next headache is soundsystem and lights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Where are you thinking of hosting this, Conor74?

Seanie M wrote:
    Where are you thinking of hosting this, Conor74?

Just up the street, the pub across from Super Valu. Ah you MUST know it...;)

In a town in South Kerry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Just up the street, the pub across from Super Valu. Ah you MUST know it...;)

In a town in South Kerry...

Ah, a bit far from me! I would have liked to see what you can 'promote', and maybe have even offered my services! ;)

Seanie M wrote:
    I would have liked to see what you can 'promote'

Oh we confidently predict a disaster, and anything less than that would be a success!

My co-promoter is a Serb, and we have about 50 Czechs and Slovaks turning up anyway - fellows who really like their dance. Throw in the same number of the more open minded locals and that's a beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

tman wrote:
    I was referring to my limited experience of D&B nights/live recordings... can't think of one set where the MC was actually an additive tbh
    Pendulum usually have decent MC's

i mc'd for them in the music centre two years ago, so i hope you're counting me in the "usually" part!

Advertisement