Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get my car washed?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

With the recent sunny weather I've noticed that it's about time my car got cleaned up. With that in mind, what are people's opinions on the various car washing facilities around the town? The place nearest where I live has done a bad job the last two times I went there so I would be most interested to hear about places that come well recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I use the one at tom hogans motors, 8 euro and have always done a great job for me (I drive a flash motor so these things are important lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The one in Woodquay is pretty good but 10 euro:eek: too much if you ask me.Better off with a bucket of water and a sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

malice_ wrote:
    With the recent sunny weather I've noticed that it's about time my car got cleaned up. With that in mind, what are people's opinions on the various car washing facilities around the town? The place nearest where I live has done a bad job the last two times I went there so I would be most interested to hear about places that come well recommended.
    Where is yours?

I usually use the cheapest €5 option on Bohermore Statoil autowash. It's ok but then I drive a banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The guys in Woodquay are good (that reminds me - need to get my car washed as well...).

They used to have a good car wash in the Tesco car park, but i think it's gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I use the one at tom hogans motors
    As I live on the western side of the city, Tom Hogan's is just a bit too far away.
    biko wrote:
    Where is yours?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Sorry, maybe I'm just particularly dense today :)

Other people have recommended Woodquay to me in the past. €10 isn't that expensive especially if you have something better to do with the hour or two it would take you to do it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

malice_ wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Sorry, maybe I'm just particularly dense today :)
    You mentioned a wash that was not good in OP. Where is this?
    Was it automatic or hand wash?

biko wrote:
    You mentioned a wash that was not good in OP. Where is this?
    I'm not sure if it's allowed to name and shame directly so I won't do it and risk a slap on the wrists. The car wash that I got done was a hand wash, not a machine and it was done in Barna village. I can't remember exactly how much it cost. I think it was €7 or €8. With that in mind, I certainly wouldn't begrudge somebody €10 if they're going to do the job right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Do it yourself. Getting it done is only a rip off and you can do the job to your own standards (be they high or low). Can never understand people getting their car washed (on any kind of a regular basis anyway).

Only one exception that being if hot girls in t-shirts doing it. Then its fine. Unlikely you'll find that its usually either a dour Polish guy or a young muppet

kevmy wrote:
    Do it yourself. Getting it done is only a rip off and you can do the job to your own standards (be they high or low). Can never understand people getting their car washed (on any kind of a regular basis anyway).

Only one exception that being if hot girls in t-shirts doing it. Then its fine. Unlikely you'll find that its usually either a dour Polish guy or a young muppet
    For me it just comes down to various factors. If I have something else I can be doing for the hour or so that it would take then I'd prefer to let someone else do it. If the weather is terrible then I'm not going to want to be outside doing anything anyway.

I don't know if there's any company in Galway offering the hot girls in t-shirts service. If there is I will definitely check them out. Purely for research purposes of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

malice_ wrote:
    Purely for research purposes of course :D
    NOthing wrong with a lamb shank while you're researching :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The hand wash in the Maxol in Westside is excellent.

DRakE wrote:
    NOthing wrong with a lamb shank while you're researching :)
    I wonder does that come under the heading of optional extras? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I use the one at tom hogans motors, 8 euro and have always done a great job for me (I drive a flash motor so these things are important lol)

I Used those lads today to get a mini-valet done, i was very impressed only took an hour and cost €25.

malice_ wrote:
    For me it just comes down to various factors. If I have something else I can be doing for the hour or so that it would take then I'd prefer to let someone else do it.

Well if your the type of person it take an hour:eek: to wash a car then your better off getting someone else to do it.

padi89 wrote:
    Well if your the type of person it take an hour:eek: to wash a car then your better off getting someone else to do it.
    It wasn't an exact estimate of the time it would take. The next time I wash my car by hand I'll time myself so I can be precise. How long does it take you to wash your car by hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I just wait till it rains.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

paconnors wrote:
    I Used those lads today to get a mini-valet done, i was very impressed only took an hour and cost €25.

Ditto. I use these guys a few times a year. €25 for the mini valet and car wash. Amazing value. Car is gleaming inside and out once done. Highly recommend them.

malice_ wrote:
    It wasn't an exact estimate of the time it would take. The next time I wash my car by hand I'll time myself so I can be precise. How long does it take you to wash your car by hand?

2 sponges a bucket of soapy water and a hose 15-20 mins max.

padi89 wrote:
    2 sponges a bucket of soapy water and a hose 15-20 mins max.
    Try it without a hose and see if it still takes the same amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

place in lisbaun estate is good as well

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote:
    Try it without a hose and see if it still takes the same amount of time.
    Ii just did yesterday, with a watering can as the dog has chewed the hose to bits,still takes under 15-20 mins max.It still came out better than any manned or automatic car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . whirling brushes = scratched paintwork . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

padi89 wrote:
    Ii just did yesterday, with a watering can as the dog has chewed the hose to bits,still takes under 15-20 mins max.It still came out better than any manned or automatic car wash.

Some people are rich and lazy, some people live in apartments without driveways in which to wash their cars themselves, either way they're creating jobs and they're not affecting you at all, so leave them to it!

Some people are rich and lazy, some people live in apartments without driveways in which to wash their cars themselves, either way they're creating jobs and they're not affecting you at all, so leave them to it!

So where exactly did i slate car washers? All i said was its cheaper and quicker to do it yourself. The OP said was that he would rather spend an hour doing something else, fact is it wont take anywhere near an hour to do it yourself.You can bet your ass though you will end up sitting in traffic for an hour in Galway traffic going to and coming from a car wash.

Man, I wish I was rich and lazy :) I think I'm pretty good at the lazy part as I don't live in an apartment and I do have a driveway. Padi89, you're quite right about Galway traffic. My original post came about as I had intended to do something with my car last weekend but had ended up working Saturday and trimming hedges on Sunday. The end result was I was knackered by Sunday evening and my car was still there filthy. What I will probably do is try and make it into Woodquay either over the weekend or next week. I'll report back here and let you all know how I got on.

Advertisement