Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this acceptable??

Options
  • 11-04-2007 2:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it generally ok for a mod to edit a posters post to make them look/sound stupid???

I ask because I replied to a thread about a broken laptop screen:

My post was: "Get a replacement screen from XYZ" XYZ = a website name i suggested!!

Now it was changed to read: " Get a replacement screen from my ass"

To me that is not funny, I was trying to be helpful.

I got a weeks ban for my "Troubles" and made look like an idiot to anyone else that looks at the post!!

Do the boards main men/women actually condone this type of behaviour from their mods??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Post in question to save someone asking for the link. Plus Tom Dunne said how you spammed that link several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Indeed. It seems to be a case that you post that link a lot? Yes no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

I may disagree with everything you say, but will defend unto death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Do not, however, mistake this for wilingness on my part to listen. - Me

http://xyz.com - the irony

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dragan wrote:
    Indeed. It seems to be a case that you post that link a lot? Yes no?

I posted that 3 times at most!! I have explained that I am not affiliated with the site but this is not that matter!! I will take the ban but its the editting of the post that annoyed me!!

Well the link was always going to be edited out if that the reason for the banning.

The "my ass" was a clever use of comedy in my opinion but hey, to each there own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dragan wrote:
    Well the link was always going to be edited out if that the reason for the banning.

The "my ass" was a clever use of comedy in my opinion but hey, to each there own.

Well I don't mind the editing of the post but not to make the user look like a tool!!
    Everyone has their own sense of humour and I for one didn't find it funny at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dragan wrote:

*bows*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tom dunne wrote:
    *bows*

*applause's*

Aside from that, what site did you post, can I have it by pm? Is it reputable? Would you ban a user for posting link's to komplett 3 times? A lot of smaller retailers rely on word of mouth, something that might be stifled severely here.

krazy_8s wrote:
    *applause's*

Aside from that, what site did you post, can I have it by pm? Is it reputable? Would you ban a user for posting link's to komplett 3 times? A lot of smaller retailers rely on word of mouth, something that might be stifled severely here.

Its not about the site I posted as I said earlier!! Its more about the mods decision to edit my post to add his "Humorous" bit in!!

I can PM you the site no problem at all as long as I don't get banned from it!!
    As you said above people always link komplett/play etc and no banning!!

Ok, to show that I am really a nice guy and that there are no hard feelings, I have removed "my ass" from jonny's post.
    krazy_8s wrote:
    Would you ban a user for posting link's to komplett 3 times? A lot of smaller retailers rely on word of mouth, something that might be stifled severely here.

I really didn't want to get into this, but if you insist.

johnny's contributions to the laptop forum consisted of replying to posts with nothing nothing more than "check out www.xyz.ie, their prices are great".

This lead me to believe he was in some way connected to the site, which he confirmed he was not. I then asked him not to continually link to the site and put a link in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Despite this request, he again posted a link to the site in a thread only a week or two ago. I ignored it then, but today I didn't.

So now tell me I am being unreasonable, not that I really care.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    So now tell me I am being unreasonable, not that I really care.

Tom, I didn't say the ban itself was unreasonable and as the original post here shows its just the editing of the post i am/was annoyed at!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think you should sue. I'm sure that falls under perjury or fraud or breach of copywrite or something like that. Take this question to the legal forum.

By the way, who actually owns the rights to what is written on these boards, is it the writer?

tom dunne wrote:
    I have removed my ass from jonny's post.

* chuckles * It really is funny. :D

And Metro,

who really cares. Post it on a website without proper copyright and your throwing whatever you post into the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Jonny, there's no point. This is a bit of a recurring them lately ie "I can accept the ban, but the behaviour towards me after it was unacceptable". It's not a concept people always get. Despite the fact that you're not compplaining about the ban per se, people are still going to respond to your post by saying "Get over it" and "you deserved your ban", whilst they patently miss the point.

I would suggest you walk away, because many many people don't even understand the point you're making, despite the fact that you put it reasonably clearly.

I think you should sue. I'm sure that falls under perjury or fraud or breach of copywrite or something like that. Take this question to the legal forum.

I wouldn't sue boards over something like this!! They provide a service and I use it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

By the way, who actually owns the rights to what is written on these boards, is it the writer?

No its not. If you read the terms of agreement when you were joining, you would have read that ANYTHING YOU POST ON THIS WEBSITE then becomes property by boards.ie and they can and will reserve the rights to edit accordingly anything they wish (or something like that.. its been a while since i have seen it)

Therefore the website owns what he has written, has the right to change it, and there's no chance its a 'breach of copywrite'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

tallaght01 wrote:
    Jonny, there's no point. This is a bit of a recurring them lately ie "I can accept the ban, but the behaviour towards me after it was unacceptable". It's not a concept people always get. Despite the fact that you're not compplaining about the ban per se, people are still going to respond to your post by saying "Get over it" and "you deserved your ban", whilst they patently miss the point.

I would suggest you walk away, because many many people don't even understand the point you're making, despite the fact that you put it reasonably clearly.

I get the piont if it makes you feel better. Shame on you Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Joking or not, that kind of advice will most likely get you sitebanned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No its not. If you read the terms of agreement when you were joining, you would have read that ANYTHING YOU POST ON THIS WEBSITE then becomes property by boards.ie and they can and will reserve the rights to edit accordingly anything they wish (or something like that.. its been a while since i have seen it)

Therefore the website owns what he has written, has the right to change it, and there's no chance its a 'breach of copywrite'

Wouldn't this be a case of defamation of character since it's implying that the OP wrote it even though he didn't? Meh, I don't know. I'm off to the cat thread.

Folks, who are we to say whether the OP does or does not have monitors in his ass? Maybe he does, maybe he does not.

It was funny, Tom removed the comment, now it's gone. Personally i think a jibe in such a fashion when banning people should be standard. Teach them not to blatantly ignore warnings as was the case here.

• Advertisement

Dragan - the people in the creative writing forum care. There's a lot of info there which I just checked.

And yes you're right anything posted up here is up for grabs unless copywrited first.

OP - of course your not going to sue over this, who has the time to waste?

And obviously, they not only condone this behavior from their mods, they encourage it.

But saying you said something so obnoxious when you didn't is wrong, there is just no question about it. If they cant see that, then that tells you a lot.

I just wanna stop the hurt.

Whay can't we all get along? Why do we need to get the lawyers involved?

Look, as far as myself and jonny are concerned, this matter is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay folks, after Tom edited the post, the bottom of the post clearly states "Last edited by Tom Dunne at...". This shows users that Tom has altered the text in the post. Anyone could probably tell that jonny24 doesn't have monitors stuck up his ass so I'm not sure that you look foolish.

I'm having a very hard time keeping a straight face here at work because I must admit that I think this is hilarious. I don't think that makes you look like a tool jonny* and I know that Tom should probably have soft deleted your post rather than edit it but dammit it was funny :D

There is a big difference between what happened with tallaght01 and you though. I think the tallaght01 abuse was OTT but this is hilarious.

*posting said link after being asked time and time again not to does make you look like a tool though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I don't think it says that at all. I've wondered before who owns the posts here, but never had it clarified. One other forum I've seen explicitly notes that contributions are licenced under a Creative Commons licence. I would have thought there would be a known situation for this stuff, but I guess not.

I'm not sure boards do own the posts either. I think they are up for grabs so that if you see a piece of writing you like, you can take it, assign your name to it in real life, publish it, copywrite it under your name, profit from it and its perfectly legal.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Normally we frown on Moderators editing posts but spammers are fair game, because we hate them. Well I hate them which, inside my head, is good enough.

Unfortunately you were mistaken for a spammer (partly your fault, partly not) and were treated to the usual mirth making at the expense of the "spammer".

Repeatedly "suggesting" the same website is bound to attract the attention of mods and admins who hunt "shills" for sh*ts and giggles.
    This is an "edge" case where the world of shilling over laps the world of genuine users and innocent people get caught in the crossfire (similar to how genuine mails get spam-binned by accident because of spammers).
    Shills dont care that they cause such troubles and I'll stop there before I get annoyed...

I think that more or less covers the issue.

DeV.

I'm not sure boards do own the posts either. I think they are up for grabs so that if you see a piece of writing you like, you can take it, assign your name to it in real life, publish it, copywrite it under your name, profit from it and its perfectly legal.

Poor mans copywrite would go some way towards scuppering that. Each post has a time and date stamp. If you can simply provide dated proof of creation before the thief can then you win, they lose, goodnight vienna.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

In a way Tom may have personally abused the OP and therefore should ban himself. :p

I personally hate mods abusing posters but in this case Tom may have mistaken you for a shill who are indeed scum. As you are not scum Tom has removed the offending content and all is well.

I suspect a few posters who are shills but have it cleverly disguised. Drives me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Be responsible for defamation in it?

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    Poor mans copywrite would go some way towards scuppering that. Each post has a time and date stamp. If you can simply provide dated proof of creation before the thief can then you win, they lose, goodnight vienna.

So bear with me.... theoretically...

If someone steals something off the creative writing forum, [which was NOT copywrited previously by the poster] then boards can claim theft of intellectual property?

Advertisement