Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this acceptable??

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You don't have to actively copyright something for it to be your intellectual property. Anything I write anywhere is automatically my intellectual property from first principles. Of course, there's an entire legal minefield of exceptions, which gives rise to an extensive area of study on the topic.

Suffice it to say that for your purposes, metrovelvet, that's how things stand here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

So bear with me.... theoretically...

If someone steals something off the creative writing forum, [which was NOT copywrited previously by the poster] then boards can claim theft of intellectual property?

Considering Boards copyright is out of date, according to the bottom lhs of the homepage....Copyright © 2000 - 2005 boards.ie Limited. All rights reserved. ............ :D

* havent a clue really what im on about.....lol

Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

See the bottom of this page.

Myth wrote:
    See the bottom of this page.

I sure do, but i was refering to the home page

edit : Jelsoft Enterprises own vbullitin afaik, not Boards.

* still dont know what im on about.....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jonny24ie wrote:
    Is it generally ok for a mod to edit a posters post to make them look/sound stupid???

I ask because I replied to a thread about a broken laptop screen:

My post was: "Get a replacement screen from XYZ" XYZ = a website name i suggested!!

Now it was changed to read: " Get a replacement screen from my ass"

To me that is not funny, I was trying to be helpful.

I got a weeks ban for my "Troubles" and made look like an idiot to anyone else that looks at the post!!

Do the boards main men/women actually condone this type of behaviour from their mods??

Deliberately leaving the context of the mods edit (which clarifies everything) destroys all creditability tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

So bear with me.... theoretically...

If someone steals something off the creative writing forum, [which was NOT copywrited previously by the poster] then boards can claim theft of intellectual property?

Boards, nope. Because effectively it was not there intellectual property in the first place. It was there copy property, as far as i am aware.

You would need to talk to a proper copywrite solicitor for the country you are in to find out exactly how the rules, as i am not even sure if the "poor mans copywrite" extends to the internet.

Back when the biro was king however, you could write something, post it to yourself and keep it sealed. The post date and seal would provide evidence of date and obviously that the contents had not been tampered with.

This is still used today by budding authors, myself included.

Dragan wrote:

Back when the biro was king however, you could write something, post it to yourself and keep it sealed. The post date and seal would provide evidence of date and obviously that the contents had not been tampered with.

This is still used today by budding authors, myself included.

Whats to stop you posting yourself an open and empty envelope ? i dont think a sealed franked letter would stand up in court, open to too much abuse imho, but i stant to be corrected !!

Sorry.... i forgot to add that when you are posting you need to ask the post office to stamp the date across the seal, so any signs of tampering will come up on it. :o

Dragan wrote:
    Sorry.... i forgot to add that when you are posting you need to ask the post office to stamp the date across the seal, so any signs of tampering will come up on it. :o

Ahhhhh....... and will this legally work ? have you come across a case where a datestamp proved copyright ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Can boards be held accountable if one of their mods "edits" a post in the creative writing forum as the mod did to OP's post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Can boards be held accountable if one of their mods "edits" a post in the creative writing forum as the mod did to OP's post?

No. Why should they be?

If you have a complaint about a post hit the report post button. It takes a snapshot of the post and reports it to the mods/admins. The admins will slap the moderator if required.

Btw, your earlier comments of to sue boards. Even threatening something like that in jest gets you an automatic site ban (for legal reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I didnt threaten anything and Gordon already said that so you can put your cudgel away.

I was talking to Dragan who said that the posts were the writers property.

We're not talking about reporting posts. We're talking about who owns them and if the writer owns them, which is what I understood Dragan to be saying, then if a mod edits the content then is s/he boards in contempt of something legal and comprosmising someone else's intellectual property.

It was a question, I guess you have a problem with those in general.

If you read the terms of agreement when you were joining, you would have read that ANYTHING YOU POST ON THIS WEBSITE then becomes property by boards.ie and they can and will reserve the rights to edit accordingly anything they wish

Not really Metro, they can pretty much do what they want with it.

For example, lets say somebody posts a particular dodgy story which they feel is artistic or whatever but may be offensive to people or attract the wrong crowd, then they can remove it etc.

I was talking to Dragan who said that the posts were the writers property.

It should be noted that anything i'm saying is purely my opinion based on my somewhat limited knowledge of copywrite law ( which is shot to bits on when it comes to the net anyway ) and in no way reflect the opinions or actual legal rights or standpoints of boards.ie owners, opporators, or users.

In short, i am having a conversation, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I didnt threaten anything and Gordon already said that so you can put your cudgel away.

I didn't have a cudgel out. I was just pointing out to anyone stupid enough to take your advice earlier who didn't wish to be sitebanned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tom dunne wrote:
    I just wanna stop the hurt.

Whay can't we all get along? Why do we need to get the lawyers involved?

Look, as far as myself and jonny are concerned, this matter is closed.

This matter is now sorted. Cheers to Tom for sorting it out promtly. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness that pathetic site was way overpriced anyway (I clicked on it once, and the 'special offer' was last years laptop at what I can only guess is tomorrows price) - that alone was reason enough to heavily imply that it was affiliated to you in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We're not talking about reporting posts. We're talking about who owns them and if the writer owns them, which is what I understood Dragan to be saying, then if a mod edits the content then is s/he boards in contempt of something legal and comprosmising someone else's intellectual property.
    boards.ie owns the right to *publish* the content. This includes editing it to conform to legal requirements, brevity, etc. You still own some intellectual rights over the content, but if you write a post and fail to have another copy of it, then it's tough titties when a moderator changes or deletes it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

HavoK wrote:
    In fairness that pathetic site was way overpriced anyway (I clicked on it once, and the 'special offer' was last years laptop at what I can only guess is tomorrows price) - that alone was reason enough to heavily imply that it was affiliated to you in some way!

Dude as I have said many times I have nothing to do with the site at all!!!
    I found them to be cheap for the parts that I required for laptops and have used them numerous times!!! I have gotten better prices off the chap when I have rang him!!
    Tom Dunne know I am not affiliated with the place and I just thought I was helping a few members of boards out with the advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This happened allready to a poster and they complained esp as that was the only copy of thier sort story and they felt it had been defaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement