Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos

Options
  • 11-04-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Would you recommend buying a sofa from Argos? Like the look of it but would prefer to be able to sit on it before purchasing....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Try these as an alternative, good range at reasonable prices, that you can try before you buy. I have not purchased from them myself, so can't vouch for the quality, but at least you can inspect that for yourself!

www.costplussofas.ie

Edit: Just read this thread http://www.furniture.ie/forum/about529-0-asc-0.html on another forum, so maybe not such a good idea! Make your own mind up!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Hi Inis,

I bought a 2 seat leather sofa from Argos last year and have no problems.

We had bought a 3+2+1 from Land of Leather and then we moved house. We then had 2 sitting rooms and I needed another 2 seater. Went to L.O.L to buy an additional matching 2 seater, but they would only sell us a 3+2+1 combo - they seemingly can't sell an individual sofa. When I said I only wanted a 2 seater, they told me to buy the 3+2+1 and sell the 3+1 in the Buy and Sell - wtf???. We walked out in disgust.

Picked one from Argos and got delivered the following week and is great - very comfortable. The only thing is, and someone had told me this, that the sofas look tiny when they arrive from Argos cos they look so big in the brochure.

Anyway, if you're not happy, you can send it back within 14 days

HTH

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adl

I wouldn't recommend buying anything large from Argos. My experience with this company was a total nightmare. It was three months before I received my purchased order and even then the quality was questionable. I order beds with storage and the metal rung for the drawers was broken when I opened any of these.
    The delivery dates and times suit the company themselves and not the customer. If like me you have nobody at home then you are in trouble. They give a delivery time from 7.30am to 6pm and cannot give any more accurate timing. This is only in the case of Ireland where DHL look after the delivery of items for Argos. They guarantee a phone call one hour prior to delivery but on three occasions of waiting around for them I did not receive this phone call.
    When you call their customer service you are put through to a department in the UK and can spend over an hour trying to talk to one person who will listen to your concerns rather than fob you off. Incidently the freephone number cannot be reached via mobile so if you have no landline you will need to find a public phone.

Why in Ireland are we paying premium prices to get goods shipped outside of dublin yet we are making do with outrageous delivery times and bad quality end results. It's time companys were more accountable for the delivery they promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Heard same problems with brother and delivery, he ended up cancelling the order as Argos passed the buck and didn't want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Same again, we ordered shelving units and side boards from them - the complete ones rather than self assembly - not that you'd realise that the state they arrived in.

Having said that, the inlaws are happy with their 3+2+1 leather set they got from Argos...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

ahhh, I didnt order from Argos, but I did order furniture from Homebase and they are all connected, check if the furniture you are interested in is carried by homebase, they have showrooms where you can try out some of the furniture. If there is a problem you have to go through the Argos customer helpline and they are pretty brutal, we availed of the 16 day money back guarantee on one item, mainly because we had order the wrong thing, but were very happy with the rest though.

We are waiting for another order now too, due any day, hopefully!!

We were well happy with the service from homebase, we had problems returning the couch, Argos customer service kept saying yeah it will be picked up tomorrow and they were full of s**t but we got on to the homebase where we had bought in and they were brilliant, ending up getting a private courier company to collect it on Xmas Eve morning as it had been sitting in a corner for over 5 weeks waiting to be collected.

I wouldnt have ordered from them again only for that though.

BTW if you do decide to get furniture from homebase, wait till a 10% off day, good savings to be made.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

25% off furniture at Dunnes Stores this weekend...;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭SteM

Never had a problem with delivery from Argos but I wouldn't buy a sofa from them unless it was for occasional use. I'd never order something that I would use so often like a bed or sofa without trying it first.

Advertisement