Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discount on new car, no trade-in.

Options
  • 11-04-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I just sold my car last night so I now have the power of a cash buyer. Looking at a new Passat Hi-Line Tdi. What level of discount should I look for? I'll need the car in the next few weeks so I'm looking at cars that are coming into stock or already in stock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The oul lad got a new A4 in january for €37,300 cash, which if i remember correctly amounted to about €4000 of a discount, roughly 10%.

have a read of this

Go for the 2.0TDi if you can stretch to it. Watch out for that push button handbrake too, takes a bit of getting used to I'd imagine. happy hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

That's a very good discount alright. I've been offered a discount of 5.9% which seems a bit stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Donie75 wrote:
    That's a very good discount alright. I've been offered a discount of 5.9% which seems a bit stingy.

Ring around a few dealers, once you mention you are buying with cash they sit up and take notice sraight away. Tell them you are ready to purchase and looking for their best price. I did this when the father was buying the car and it's surprising how quickly the price tumbles when the salesman smells a cash deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

shop around. I know that Newcastlewest Autos have given very good deals to some people I know even when trading

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I would be pushing for at least 8%. I got nearly 9% from a VW dealer cash for the GTi.

Make sure you call every dealer on the VW website, stress that you know exactly what car and spec you want and ask them for their bottom line price.

If they offer any sort of discount of note, call in to the showroom and be in a position to order subject to a final discount. Letting them know all the while that you have been speaking to others. If you can get a fist full of business cards from other dealers all the better. You have to make sure the sales person knows that you are serious and if he does not come down to rock bottom the business will be going else where!

Don't waste your time or a sales person's time with the final few quid unless you are ready to sign the order form !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement