Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible stupid question

Options
  • 11-04-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I'm just about halfway through my co op placement and realised I've heard loads about co op reports but wasn't told anything about actually doing one. Will the college contact me in a while or should I have heard about this already? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hmm...have you had a visit from a member of faculty yet? You can ask them about it as they are the one who pass/fail you based on the report.

Or do they do that on all courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

http://www.ul.ie/coop/coop/students/coopreport.shtml

That tells you everything you need to know. "All students must submit a report on their placement as part of the formal evaluation of the placement"

...so you best get writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

If you are doing engineering, you have to keep a week by week logbook aswell, do that as you go along, it makes iit alot easier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 claireo86

I'm in the same situation myself. Not engineering though, business.
    I've heard a girl in the same company talking about starting hers recently. It's probably a good idea to start thinking about the history of the company and making a mental note of the things you found best and worst about the experience. I wouldn't be in any mad rush to get it done just yet though.
    Thoughts?

Yeah, you can get stuff like the history, organisation structure etc out of the way, its handy out . My co-op wasn't very 'challenging' so i had a good bit of spare time at work, handy to get it out of the way instead of worrying about it later. I know that you dont have to hand it up untill you graduate, but why add it to a list of stuff you will already have to do in fourth year??? Even if you are not required to hand up a log book, a diary is still very handy, even if you only update it once a week. Its easier do the 'student responsabilities' and 'learning during co-op' sections with it.

This is only my opinion though,
    Enjoy co-op!
    Claasman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

kaimera wrote:
    Hmm...have you had a visit from a member of faculty yet?

A visit from faculty? First I heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

ergonomics wrote:
    A visit from faculty? First I heard of it!

To be honest in most cases it never happens. They try to get around to as many as possible to check up on the students on CoOp, make sure they're happy etc and speak to your line manager to assess your performance so far. Realisticly though you probably wont get a visit. If you want to request one you can and I hear they're fairly obliging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Kaimera you jinxed me - I have a visit from my supervisor tomorrow. Should I have anything prepared for this visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lawl :p

Nah, they just wanna see how your doing and if your having problems I do believe.

ergonomics wrote:
    Kaimera you jinxed me - I have a visit from my supervisor tomorrow. Should I have anything prepared for this visit?

Ring or email them and find out what they want. I have to give my supervisor a tour of the plant, and had to organise a meeting with my supervisor to analyise my 'performance'. Mainly they just talk about how you are getting on, and also, what they want in your co-op report.

Edit: also be able to talk about what your have done in the company so far, projects you were involved in etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement