Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate Ladies Hairdresser Prices!

Options
  • 11-04-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Does anyone else think that hairdresser prices are just extortionate? For me to go to hairdresser will cost at least 150Euro just for cut and colour. :eek:
    More often than not, they will do a bad job and just assume that paying that much money means nothing to you. It's really frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I just can't understand how anybody could possibly consider paying that much for a hair cut...I know women love getting their hair done but the amount they spend is ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

very simple. if you dont like it when its done. bitch and moan about it.

refuse to pay.

BUT as the previous poster said, why pay 150 quid to get your hair done. i get my hair cut every 2 months and it costs me 20 euro (being a man who isnt glued to a mirror)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lcom

jaggeh wrote:
    very simple. if you dont like it when its done. bitch and moan about it.

refuse to pay.

BUT as the previous poster said, why pay 150 quid to get your hair done. i get my hair cut every 2 months and it costs me 20 euro (being a man who isnt glued to a mirror)

Believe me, if you could get away without having to go to hairdresser then I would. Unfortunately I need to get colour done because I've been going grey since I was 18 (only 31 now) so it doesn't look too nice when I leave it too long. I could buy a colour and do it myself but it's not the same and bit risky, but it really shouldn't be sooo expensive to get it done professionally. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes its a lot of money. I would love it to be cheaper. BUT! I used to home colour my hair and ended up getting it chopped off when I ruined it, so now I pay a professional to do it right.

Personally I reckon paying €100 every three months to someone who has trained for years and who Im happy with, is not extortionate. And if you break it down into a rate per hour plus materials, they charge the same as, lets say, a mechanic for fixing your car. My husband still goes nuts over the cost tho.:p

The only thing that does annoy me is when you pay for a particular stylist to do your hair, and you end up with a trainee doing the majority of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jaggeh wrote:
    i bought a razor about 3 years ago for 20 quid and haven't looked back

• Advertisement

i bought a razor about 3 years ago for 20 quid and haven't looked back
    And I bet you look behoootiful. :D

I cut hubbys hair with one of those. Maybe thats why hes so pee'd at the money I pay......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A cut for me with a stylist costs approx E70, but I do feel that it's worth every penny when it's well done. It makes my hair far easier to manage and control every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I was dying my own hair for years- I have naturally black hair and even permanent dyes just didn't show up on it. It was ruined. I grew it out and decided to try bleaching it, it turned a patchwork of orange and yellow so I had to get it fixed- after trying a couple of hairdressers I've finally found the one who actually listens to me and does my hair the way I ask!!! I tried a training school who refused to dye my hair and looked down their nose at me for doing it myself. I tried another training school that kept messing my appointments around "oh can you wait another 2 weeks". I tried a proper not-too-expensive hairdresser's, I paid €120 for a "full head of highlights" which translated to about 5 yellow streaks. The hairdresser I go to now puts as much blonde through my hair as I want and my hair isn't wrecked. She's more expensive but I always leave feeling great. I find you get what you pay for.

KatieK wrote:
    Yes its a lot of money. I would love it to be cheaper. BUT! I used to home colour my hair and ended up getting it chopped off when I ruined it, so now I pay a professional to do it right.

Personally I reckon paying €100 every three months to someone who has trained for years and who Im happy with, is not extortionate. And if you break it down into a rate per hour plus materials, they charge the same as, lets say, a mechanic for fixing your car. My husband still goes nuts over the cost tho.:p

The only thing that does annoy me is when you pay for a particular stylist to do your hair, and you end up with a trainee doing the majority of the work.

Please tell me where you get your hair done for €100. I didn't know it was possible to get it done for under €150 Euro in Dublin.

KatieK wrote:

I wouldn't insult a mechanic by putting them in same bracket as a hairdresser. (I 've had that many bad experiences with them, I think I've become a bit bitter!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it's a joke. I refuse to go to the hairdressers here (but then again, I have very long hair, that does not require elaborate cuts etc)

I'm flying to Germany to get my hair cut about 3 times a year as part of visiting my parents, and I pay 20 Euros for wash, cut and blow dry.

My mom had her hair coloured and the works only recently, and paid 50 Euros.

Sorry, but 150 bucks for a haircut is just not right!

Im in Wexford. Peter Marks. Dont know if their prices are the same in Dublin? I like them cos the staff are all consistently trained, they get to know you, always do a consult when you come in, and they listen to what you want.

As for the mechanic remark, I chose it cos its my line of work.:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

[mysterious voice] If you pay it, they will charge you...[/mysterious voice]

KatieK wrote:
    Im in Wexford. Peter Marks. Dont know if their prices are the same in Dublin? I like them cos the staff are all consistently trained, they get to know you, always do a consult when you come in, and they listen to what you want.

As for the mechanic remark, I chose it cos its my line of work.:)

mmm..someone who spends hours trying to fix a car and someone who puts dye in someones hair getting paid the same amount of money....seems very unfair to me. but such is life I suppose. Mmm....maybe I should train as a hairdresser.

galah wrote:
    it's a joke. I refuse to go to the hairdressers here (but then again, I have very long hair, that does not require elaborate cuts etc)

I'm flying to Germany to get my hair cut about 3 times a year as part of visiting my parents, and I pay 20 Euros for wash, cut and blow dry.

My mom had her hair coloured and the works only recently, and paid 50 Euros.

Sorry, but 150 bucks for a haircut is just not right!

I think it's an Irish thing to just pay what your being asked for without questioning it or complaining.

It sure is!

And when you start questioning prices here, you get hushed by the Irish boyfriend (mortified that I should dare to ask why things are so expensive...)

galah wrote:
    It sure is!

And when you start questioning prices here, you get hushed by the Irish boyfriend (mortified that I should dare to ask why things are so expensive...)

I was just thinking that it would be cheaper for me to fly to Germany (if I could get cheap flight) to get my hair done.

well, you can get flights for as little as 30 Euros return...even if you then pay, say 50 bucks for the hair dresser, you still have 70 bucks left over to have a nice time over there ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

KatieK wrote:
    And I bet you look behoootiful. :D
    i would post a picture but you'd get nothing done for the rest of the day because you'd be mesmorised by my stunning good looks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The standard of hairdressing in this country is woeful and extremely overpriced.
    Speaking as a man the selection is limited.
    I have medium length and I like it that way.
    I've tried all the so called top salons,Peter Mark ,Toni and Guy etc.
    I tell then what I want but they decide to try and either
    a)Scalp me
    b)Take hardly anything off
    You give the customer what he wants not what you want.
    My uncle had a large hairdressing salon when he was younger and I have had my hair cut by him a few times.
    He knows his stuff.
    I wonder are half these people in Peter and Mark even trained they are so bad ?
    I only go to foreign hairdressers now.They seem to know their trade.
    Franco Barberi in Cork is top notch .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I think the amount they charge is ridiculous.. My hairdresser don't charge me as much as some of you are quoting - €80 for my roots, cut & blow dry, but tbh I still think what they do charge is excessive.
    It takes them 15/20 minutes to put the dye in, then leave me sitting there for about an hour & then its just a wash, cut & blow dry. As I have long, straight hair there's nothing to cutting it. I sometimes feel like just getting them to put the dye in & then driving home to wash it myself.. Thankfully the colour I get put it is very close to my own colour, so I only get it done twice or three times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Britney has it right..........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Why not get to know a girl who will call out to your house ,I thought thats what people do :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

My suggestion would be to ask the next time you are getting it done, if they know anybody good who does nixers!

On a separate point, I was watching the Late Late one night last year and Pat had an Irish chick-lit author on who confessed that she spent 10k a year on her hair. Poor old Pat nearly fell off his chair. I wouldn't mind but her hair was an awful lank of glow in the dark peroxide blonde.

Jesus to spend 10k you would need to earn??? Oh no hold on isn't the tax free status for ''artists'' just great. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

In a lot of hairdressers, a wash and blow dry for a woman is a lot more expensive than a wash and blow dry for a woman. When I queried this they said that it was because 'men have shorter hair than woman'. When I asked 'what about a man with long hair?' they replied that he still gets the male rate.

What a load of bull! They should charge by lenght of hair, not by whether you are male or female! I thought discrimination had been outlawed in this country!

Also, some dry cleaners will charge more for a blouse than they do for a shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The price of women's hairdressing is extortionate in this country, several of the guys l go to college with get their hair done on their lunchbreaks because they can get a student rate dry cut for a tenner. If l were to ask for a dry cut, even in a private salon which are always cheaper than the francise chains, it would cost a lot more than that and a lot won't do ladies dry cuts. My hairdresser in Tralee does a pretty good student rate but even then l left my hair grow to bum length over the course of two years because l had no job and other priorities to pay for. I finally got my hair cut at the beginning of december because my mother dropped the hint by collecting a free haircut offer in the daily mail.

Advertisement