Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RR-Dangerous Dog Act.

Options
  • 11-04-2007 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Can anyone please tell me why Rhodesian Ridgebacks ended up on the dangerous dog act list in Ireland.

Thanks.
    Annika

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

No idea... having met a few recently! It boggles the mind.
    Are they not on UK list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

As far as I know no. I have a RR myself and they are an absolutely fantastic breed.

I met the current Rhodesian Ridgeback Crufts best of breed this weekend in Dublin. He is a star! lovely dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I blame Robert Mugabe myself :D

They're a beautiful dog. Can't understand how they're dangerous :confused:

What was the dogs name? Just curious, I might know who it is. It's a real shame that RRs seem to have a bad reputation here in Ireland. In Sweden they are know to be a great family dog, and they really are.

• Advertisement

I only know his pet name I'm afraid... He's a very dark wheaten.

3rd photo down on this page.

http://indigo.ie/~dboyd/photos1.html

I have written to the minister of environment, Dick Roche, but he takes about 3 months between each reply and I am still waiting for him to tell my why they ended up on the list.

Alfie is fantastic I have also met him, he's really gentle and so majestic looking:)

deman,Who's Robert Mugabe?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do you not pay attention to the news?, Zimbabwe (sp?) used to be know as the breadbasket of Africa, theres a hint for you.

I'm afraid that would not be my strong point. But now I know who it is anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Annika30 wrote:
    Can anyone please tell me why Rhodesian Ridgebacks ended up on the dangerous dog act list in Ireland.

Thanks.
    Annika

There was a thread on this before.
    I could argue all day why GSD's shouldn't be on it but I would just be going on my experience of my dog.
    The list is flawed in my opinion! For example I think Black Lab's should be on it but I know that most ppl here would disagree.

For what it's worth the "law" is not strictly enforced here yet so you should be ok for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vivaldi

Gillie wrote:
    There was a thread on this before.
    I could argue all day why GSD's shouldn't be on it but I would just be going on my experience of my dog.
    The list is flawed in my opinion! For example I think Black Lab's should be on it but I know that most ppl here would disagree.

For what it's worth the "law" is not strictly enforced here yet so you should be ok for now.

Hi Annika,
    I am in trouble. We recently brought our RR from Walls. We are not Irish and we are living here 3 years only.
    Before we have decided for this breed we very carefully study everything about RR but we never checked Irish list of dangerous dogs. Now our neighbors does not like our dog because they are afraid that our RR can be dangerous for their children. We ourself have 2,5 year old child and we are thinking RR is very good family dog.
    We have decided for a bitch because they do not have such a strong temperament as dogs have.
    We would be very happy to see answer from dep of environment because we strongly believe that RR on the list by mistake.
    Do you have any idea how to convince our neighbors ( The biggest problem is that they do not like
    dogs at all)
    We have no any problem with socializing our RR she loves children and want to play with.
    in some countries you can obtain T.N.A (TEST OF NATURAL ABILITY) did you hear about something like this in Ireland??? Maybe is good idea to go to France and get one for our RR once she is one year old???
    Best regards
    Waldemar

The list is certainly flawed. I would like to find out what criteria they go on before they decide to put a breed on the list. Is it done by physical size, attack statistics, temperament studies? In my research I could find not one instance of the Ridgeback attacking a human being resulting in serious injury on this
    island. Behavioural history of a breed must surely be integral in the classification of a such a breed as dangerous?
    Annika

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

the dangerous dogs act is not done by the amount of attacks a breed has commited but by how much damage that breed would do if it attacked

animan wrote:
    the dangerous dogs act is not done by the amount of attacks a breed has commited but by how much damage that breed would do if it attacked

that doesnt really make sense though. Irish wolfhounds arent on the list... and they're as big a dog as you'll get.

No that does not make sense at all. Why aren't labs on the list in that case they are responsible for most bites.

Advertisement