Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mama Africa Sauces - Insanely Hot

• 11-04-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the Mama Africa range?

I picked them up in Superquinn a few months back. There are several in the range, they have a Heat rating on the bottle. Some are fairly mild, but I've tried the 9/10 and 10/10 and they burn. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first - I'm still not sure now I think of it - but I keep eating it.

It's genuinely South African too, not African via Glasnevin :)

So if anyone wants a very hot sauce try it. I'm having it with chicken now...and a big glass of milk. I also add it to curry and even pasta dishes.

It's genuinely South African, imported by Ridgeco apparently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tell me more, my bf is from South Africa and OBSESSED with hot sauce. Seriously, when he cooks he puts it in the food without telling me to see if I notice..... I always do! Anyway, it is his birthday next week and I'm only getting him something small as we're going on hols. Would you reccommend these sauces? Can you only get them in Superquinn? Were they burny in a good way?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Not sure if they're Superquinn only. I always shop in Superquinn in Blanch, and you need to take a left as you go in the door and head toward the café counter. They're all together on shelf there. There are relishes, and the Zulu sauces that I'm talking about. They're in little bottles (125 ml) but last ages as it's so strong.

I've tried Peri-Peri (9/10 heat rating) and Habanero (10/10). Prefer Habanero...

I'd definitely recommend them to try if he likes hot sauce. I'm having it again for the second night in a row with my meat. Also great with chicken wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭wandererz

If it is South African sauces, and some of them are quite daunting, have you tried Jabula on Great Strand Street, www.jabula.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That shop looks fantastic! We went to a SA shop in London and I actually saw him get teary eyed over the crisps! Thank you so much, I'll def make a trip there for his birthday and they have the mama africa sauces that have been so highly reccommended. He's going to be so excited!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tried the peri-peri, as I'm a big fan of Nando's. Wow, it was extremely hot.. I'll have to change my plans of using it as a dipping sauce, and instead include it as a cooking ingredient..

Krusty (chilli-wuss)

P.S. Would recommend Cape Cafe if you haven't been there in Dundrum. S.A. restaurant.. Very nice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You wanna try hot sauces, go to new orleans. I had a sauce there that was 800,000 scovilles, and it wasn't even the hottest sauce they had.
    I almost cried, it was so hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biaduit

Simba South African potato crisps are great I can understand why your boyfriend was getting teary eyed wanta.

Advertisement