Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Epic roads trips

Options
  • 11-04-2007 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the fjon's "What countries have you driven in" thread - what road trips have you done?

I'll kicl it off with -
    Galway - Rosslare - Paris - Nice - Monaco - Rimini - Aosta - Geneva - Paris - Galway -
    Took my Imprezza, if I listed the fuel stops this would go on for a few hours :D

Also did Alice Springs - Darwin - Cairns - Brisbane - Sydney.

Both fairly epic and totally different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Any people on boards.ie interested in doing one to the south of France or something? I'd say it would be great fun. You'd need at least 10 cars for any bit of atmosphere and it wouldn't cost a fortune either. Our own mini Cannonball rally....:)

Nobody interested??:confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm hoping to get off to the states for a few weeks over the next 18 months.

Would love to do Route 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

My friends and I were talking about arranging something like this sometime. Definetely got to do it sometime

Even the trip to Morocco with a £100 car sounds like a good laugh.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

junkyard wrote:
    Any people on boards.ie interested in doing one to the south of France or something? I'd say it would be great fun. You'd need at least 10 cars for any bit of atmosphere and it wouldn't cost a fortune either. Our own mini Cannonball rally....:)

sounds like a good idea how long would it take? i think its 1000km or so

Probably a week round trip, allowing time out to admire the scenery.;) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would be quite happy to drive one of your extensive collection of automobiles. Do you have a collection of bimbos by any chance?

[Wimpy]"For a hamburger today, I will gladly pay you Tuesday" [/Wimpy]
    junkyard wrote:
    Nobody interested??:confused: :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Perth-broom-port headland-Darwin-Three Ways- Cairns-townsville-Nymbon-Brisbaine- Sydney in a 1967 VW Panel van.

Vancouver-Seattle-Sanfransisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Durango-New Mexico-Utah-Colorado-Arizona-California-Oregon-Seattle-Vancouver in a 1964 VW camper.

esel wrote:
    Do you have a collection of bimbos by any chance?

]
    No, I'm afraid not, believe me a collection of cars is easier to keep than a collection of bimbos, I know, I've tried both. I find its easier to locate the latter when you reach your location.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A few really great road trips over the years that clocked up a few miles.
    France-Spain 3,200 miles
    Dublin-Limerick-Rosslare-Cherbourg-Rennes-Biarritz-Lourdes-
    Andorra-Barcelona-Montpellier-Marseille-Nice-Monaco-St Remo (Italy)-
    Grenoble-Lyon-Orleans-Le Mans-Roscoff-Rosslare-Limerick-Dublin
    All I remember was we kept missing the Tour de France and sleeping on a tent not in it in Barcelona.

Great 11,000 km road trip in Canada & USA...
    Vancouver (BC)-Vancouver Island-Vancouver-Whistler-Prince George-Fort Nelson-Skagway (Alaska)-Whitehorse (Yukon)-Grande Prairie (Alberta)-Jasper-Kamploops (BC)-Republic (Washington)-Cranbrook (BC)-Banff (Alberta)-Calgary-Jasper-Golden (BC)-Vancouver
    Best part was Alsaska highway upto Whitehorse. There are not many roads you see bears, bison, caribou and moose walking along and bald eagles hovering over.

Western Australia 3,200 km
    Perth-Geralton-Monkey Mia-Perth-Albany-Pemberton-Augusta-Maragaret River-Perth.
    Managed to drive along two oceans and saw a lot of very thirsty sheep.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A few years back I headed out through Europe.

Dublin > Holyhead > Hull > Rotterdam > Amsterdam > Wolfsburg > Munich > Innsbruck > Venice > Milan > Aosta > Montreaux > Gutach (Black Forest) > Amsterdam > Calais > Folkstone > London > Liverpool > Dublin.

I think the whole trip was around 5,000kms. We did it in 3 weeks taking plenty of time at various points along the way.

Did a similar, but shorter version the following year and took in the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Can't believe its now 10 years since I did the following roadtrip on my lonesome - met some great people on the way though -

Boston - Philadelphia - New York - Washington - down I95 to - Orlando - Miami - Florida Keyes - New Orleans - Dallas - Amarillo - Albequrque - Flagstaff - Grand Canyon - Hoover Dam - Las Vegas - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Salt Lake City - Mount Rushmore (where the 4 heads are carved into the rock) - Chicago - Niagara Falls - Boston

The hire car had just 150 miles on the clock when I first picked it up but had over 11,000 by the time I handed it back :D

Great time and some great memories -

stopping in the desert at night and seeing millions of stars.

Hiking down into the Grand Canyon

Going to the bottom of Hoover Dam and knowing there's billions of tonnes of water just waiting to burst through that dam :eek:

Las Vegas - needs NO EXPLANATION :D

San Francisco - best city in the world. Seeing Alcatraz and walking over the Golden Gate bridge

Oh and going into a roadside rest stop in the Arizona desert and seeing a sign that said check for snakes before you sit down on toilet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

junkyard wrote:

With the boards crowed :eek: ??
    You'd have to show some how to start their car and the rest would be giving out to you for almost doing the speed limit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Car: Oldsmoblie Achieva 2.8litre V6( Me , Older Brother and Sister)

San Fan Across the southren States taking in. Hoover Damn , Grand Canyon Roswell , Las Vegas ,Dallas/fortWorth, Tuson , El Paso, New Orleans ( please note never ever get out of the car in lousianna) there is more and so on In to Florida to tampa and then Flew back to new York

Also note , the Rental company asked where we were going when we were collecting the car , After hearing the plan , He turns to his Co worker and say " Get these Guys a Car with TEXAS plates , there gona need it ..

Flagstaff : was there also dave , Walkin around lady comes up by " By anychance are you (insert name) " Rely Yes , She was from home town , knew my dad when she was growing up , Apparently We were all clones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RobAMerc wrote:
    With the boards crowed :eek: ??
    You'd have to show some how to start their car and the rest would be giving out to you for almost doing the speed limit :D

And God help you if turn on your foglight in clear weather..................:eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

jmayo wrote:
    Great 11,000 km road trip in Canada & USA...
    Vancouver (BC)-Vancouver Island-Vancouver-Whistler-Prince George-Fort Nelson-Skagway (Alaska)-Whitehorse (Yukon)-Grande Prairie (Alberta)-Jasper-Kamploops (BC)-Republic (Washington)-Cranbrook (BC)-Banff (Alberta)-Calgary-Jasper-Golden (BC)-Vancouver
    Best part was Alsaska highway upto Whitehorse. There are not many roads you see bears, bison, caribou and moose walking along and bald eagles hovering over.

I'd love to do that road trip

One of the lads a year ahead of me in college drove from dublin to sydney.

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Joeface wrote:
    He turns to his Co worker and say " Get these Guys a Car with TEXAS plates , there gona need it ..

Do you know why he said that Joe ?

Was it so people wouldnt Fk with you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Joeface wrote:
    Car: Oldsmoblie Achieva 2.8litre V6( Me , Older Brother and Sister)

San Fan Across the southren States taking in. Hoover Damn , Grand Canyon Roswell , Las Vegas ,Dallas/fortWorth, Tuson , El Paso, New Orleans ( please note never ever get out of the car in lousianna) there is more and so on In to Florida to tampa and then Flew back to new York

I did make the mistake of stopping in Louisiana as I was bollocked tired after driving 650 miles in one stint. There were 3 'good ole boys' behind the desk in the motel office. One of them asked me "Where ya'll comin from BOY?" and believe me they weren't too friendly. I could easily imagine these guys wearing their best bedsheets and carrying a burning cross.

I got a room and went in but the smell in there almost made me leave, something like a cross between urine, vomit, booze and smoke. However as I was so damned tired, I got a few hours sleep before I had to get out of that place. I never, ever want to know what went on in that room :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Dublin - Holyhead - Folkstone - Calais - Paris - Lille - Antwerpen - Rotterdam - Amsterdam - Eindhoven - Antwerpen - Lille - Calais - Folkstone - Holyhead - Dublin.

Also,

Cairns to Sydney over 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cold_filter, Alaska highway is probably one of the best drives in world I reckon.
    I would loved to have continued up the road to Fairbanks but time was concern.
    Ahh the memories...
    One evening I stopped along road and sat beside bison as they lay around.
    Met crazy caribou with tongue hanging out as he came down middle of road on his way to stream. He then stopped and nearly stuck his head in the window. They really are stupid animals.
    Although the best has to be watching mammy bear and her two cubs cross road in front of me.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Aye beerbaron I do , and ur right it was so ppl wont bother us , Texans are always armed ,
    Other silly thing was In New Orleans , Takin to Hotel clerk guy asked where we were from , We said Ireland , He said What part , We Said Limerick , he said Oh great This is stab City USA ye will fit right in

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Joeface wrote:
    Aye beerbaron I do , and ur right it was so ppl wont bother us , Texans are always armed ,
    Other silly thing was In New Orleans , Takin to Hotel clerk guy asked where we were from , We said Ireland , He said What part , We Said Limerick , he said Oh great This is stab City USA ye will fit right in

:rolleyes:

Great Stuff ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Up the coast of California from San diego to San Fran. Stopped in LA for a couple of days and Santa Barbra. I had to return to work but my friends continued on to Las Vegus then back to San Digeo. There was about 8 of us in a huge rented chevy van. Unreal road trip.

Took another last year, 14 lads in another huge van. Boston to Toronto through NY state and back in one weekend. 1200 miles in one weekend. Some laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

astraboy wrote:
    I had to return to work but my friends continued on to Las Vegus then back to San Digeo.

Where are they? I can't find them on Google Maps!

testicle wrote:
    Where are they? I can't find them on Google Maps!

Pedantic Pat and that is that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

5000 miles around USA last year in a scauldy Ford Taurus.

Pheonix - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Utah (Moab) - Denver - Nebraska - Kansas - Oklahoma - Dodge city - Texas - Alburqueue - Mexico border (Walked over the border. Felt dodgy!) - Tombstone - back to Pheonix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ronoc wrote:
    Pedantic Pat and that is that :D

Pat's my brother, I'm Pedantic Pete...

• Advertisement
Advertisement