Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a PC and Laptop

Options
  • 11-04-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I just got a new laptop and I tried to connect it to my PC using a LAN cable. The 2 can see each other but it says limited or no connectivity. Iv tried clicking repair connection but it doesnt work. My laptop is running vista and my pc is running XP. Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you using a crossover cable? It should say it on the small text that runs along the length of the wire.

Are both computers on the same Workgroup?

Have each been given different static IP addresses in the same range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya it is a crossover cable. How do you set them up on the same workgroup?
    I thought the IP addresses were automatically assigned. Im not really sure what im doing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

XP_ID.gif

Right click on "My Computer". Click on the "Computer Name" tab. Click "Network ID" and set the workgroup to the same on both your machines. It's probably "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP" at the moment.

Now assign static IP addresses to each machine.

xp_wireless_TCPIP.jpg

Open the Control Panel and open up Network Connections. Right click your LAN connection, probably named "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties". Double click "Internet Protocol" and you'll see the above dialogue box. Select "Use the following IP address".

On one machine, enter the IP address: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 on the other.

Subnet for both machines: 255.255.255.0. I use a router so I can't assure you this will work. As mentioned before, make sure you're using a crossover cable as you're connecting the two machines directly.

When all that's done, open up Network Places from the start menu or possibly your desktop and you should see two PCs in here.

Thanks for your help so far. I am now able to connect to the internet on my laptop through my PC but im still not able to send files between the computers. The sharing folders dont seem to be connected up. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Go Into my Computer > c Drive > Right click > sharing and security > goto network sharing and security tick both boxs then apply, this should allow that machiene to share the files, do the same for second computer as well

• Advertisement

Ok i did that but the folders only appear on the laptop they do not show up on the PC and the folders on the PC do not show up on the Laptop

This is the screen I get in networks on my laptop. https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/ When I click on any of the icons it gives up the error you see in the center even though they are for things on the laptop itself

Anybody else any ideas. its really starting to wreck my head now

Advertisement