Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans

• 11-04-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

I need three 120mm fans for a rad, wondering which are considered the best value for what you're getting. Not keen on spending 20pounds on a fan :/.

Opinions?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sure someone has an old server somewhere that can donate you their old fans, but rather you than me putting up with all that noise. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pc world has some cheap 12cm fans, but they are noisy with low cfm's... you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Vebox-Direct-Computing

I buy a lot of small stuff from the Vebox-Direct shop on e-bay delivery is only €2.50 and they have a great selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Hal1 wrote:
    Sure someone has an old server somewhere that can donate you their old fans, but rather you than me putting up with all that noise. :o

I dont want old loud fans, i want new quiet ones ;o. What are the best brands then? Iv heard of panflo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Akasa amber series are the best .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

TonyM. wrote:
    Akasa amber series are the best .

I agree, good cf/m and only 11€ dola each. And your local pcworld has them. If not, s-flex fans ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    I agree, good cf/m and only 11€ dola each. And your local pcworld has them. If not, s-flex fans ftw.

but s-flex are exp :(

worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote:
    worth every penny.

QFT!

When I have mine at 800rpm, I can't even tell the difference in my system with them on or off. They also have a good CFM at 1600RPM and are still under 20db... if quietness is your highest priority, then get the Sflex's, you can also find them pretty cheap on ebay. If not then get the Ambers as they have around the same CFM, are cheaper but are also louder.

Reading a lot about papst and Nexus fans? They seem to be all the rave, perhaps in the USA anyway. Anyone tried these out?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i'm upgrading fans for my p180. i want a good high cfm as i have a Zalman fan controller so i'll easily be able to turn down for "silent mode" well hopefully?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=373993

Was looking at these. any one know anything about them. would you go for these or the amber. they're the same price on scan. plus i dont think the amber would be in line with my blue and black theme.. and that is important dont you know.

I seen a review about them sharkoon fans in custompc a few months ago. They are meant to be fairly crap, pretty noisy, and a low cf/m.

Go for s-flex fans.

I got those akasa amber things, havent tried them out yet but look decent enough.

Their great, very quiet and good cf/m. GReat price too.

eh. which custom PC report did you read i just checked one out that gave it a really possitive report. with the exception of the 80mm 1000 version. the 2000 versions were given a very good report. he called it the ultimate FAN

yep he said the sharkoons are good ani not bad .

These fans are amazing they've knocked 10C off my temps. before with the antec standard in the p180 i was gettin 40-43 at idle now i'm gettin 30-33. I'm compareing both fans at full speed. now in terms of noise the sharkoons are just a little quieter than the antecs at full speed. but they are moveing much much more air. i'm goin purely on touch here so i know it's hardly scientific. but the temps speak for them selves. Even on there lowest setting when they are exceptionally quiet they perform better than the antecs on full. holding at 38-40C. a temp that previously i had only seen in the winter when my room was cold. I am using a zalman fan controller just so you know.

Sharkoon silent eagle 2000 120mm "Amazing". and by no means expensive @ 10.79 a piece from alphacool.de

edit/ after leaving fans on for 30 mins when i went away temps were at 27C WOW.

Ah i must have read it wrong then so.

They are rather ugly fans though :/

na they look cool.

like golf balls.

they really do you know. look like golf balls i mean. actually the look is what first attracted me to them then i read up and they seemed like good fans too. but looks is a matter of opinion. Any way really happy with em and they're a lot cheaper than a lot of fans out there. i used to have to just turn off the old antecs, one of em was always really loud dodgy bearing i'd say. but these i'm just leaving on all the time. when they're on low there still not as loud as my psu. something i'll be remedying soon,i hope, with a passive psu of some sort. By the way anyone any ideas on good proper silent psus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

hi

i was wondering if someone could help me? i need 2 Blue Led 120mm
    fans they gotta run fast and reasonably quiet (will be hooked up to a fan controller) could someone recommend me something from this site? im sure theres a gem somewhere i just cant find it :(

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/default.php?cPath=26&osCsid=dee7a15708ff5b457763ebcd79cdc46e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

THIS seems to run pretty quiet with decent airflow if the specs are to be believed.

THIS is a little louder but shifts more air.

TBH you won't find a fast AND quiet fan...you may need to choose.

Just bite the bulet and get a few deltas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

I have a very basic system and I need a bit of advice with the
    mess of a PC I have. Only starting to change things.

I've attached a jpg so you can see what I mean.
    I want to fix it up a bit so its not just a black box, I dont
    want to get a new case, just change what I have.

Before we continue I know the chipset fan is missing, but
    its back now, only missing when I took the picture.

The sides are just flat with no vents, so a friend of mine
    had an idea about cutting two holes for in/out 80mm fans
    or just one 120mm, and one on the top.

I know its rubbish compared to kits out there but its a starting point.

:o

Any ideas?

The first thing you want to do , is a bit of cable tidying. And by the look of your hardware it dosent seem to need much more cooling, So i would suggest a 12cm fan over where your graphics card is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

THIS seems to run pretty quiet with decent airflow if the specs are to be believed.

THIS is a little louder but shifts more air.

TBH you won't find a fast AND quiet fan...you may need to choose.

HopeFul you are a saint thanks a million ima gonna go with the first one becasue its cheaper , quieter and im not sure the second one is Led ,

i also need to get a fan controller http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/default.php?cPath=26_77&osCsid=dee7a15708ff5b457763ebcd79cdc46e
    does anyone know of any decent makes? cause ive never known much about controllers, i know most of them go in 5.25 bays but id like to just mount the adapter inside my pc, anything bad about this i should know?

the fans i have and are getting are all 4pin molex i know u can solder 3 pin fan controllers onto them but i was wondering if there was an easier way? http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/default.php?cPath=26_1327&osCsid=dee7a15708ff5b457763ebcd79cdc46e
    i dont know what these do but they look like they convert molex to mini fan

Thanks for all your help

edit as far as fans go how good is this one?
    http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_86&products_id=4658&osCsid=dee7a15708ff5b457763ebcd79cdc46e

review
    http://www.dvhardware.net/review94_tt_iflash+_fan.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

You can easily rewire 4 pin molex to give you different voltages.

If memory serves black/yellow will give 12v, black/red will give 5v and red/yeloow will give 7v.

Google molex mods and you will find plenty of info. Most fans are nice and quiet at 7v...some will not run at 5v.

Has the advantage of costing nothing but time :)

Advertisement