Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ Nvidia 8800gtx problems

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Ok, after 12 vista re-installs ive had enough,

Im running vista business 32-bit, and i have an 8800gtx, the longest ive had a stable driver install is 4 hours, everytime my drivers fail im either in the middle of or loading a game, when the system freezes and i have to do a hard reset.

When the computer reboots vista informs me there is a problem with the display drivers. in the device manager it gives me a code 43.

It hasnt always happened in game its just the majority of times it does.

The full spec of the pc is:

Asus P5W Motherboard
    WD Raptor 74gb
    OCZ 8800gtx
    OCZ Titanium 2gb ram
    Intel e6600 core 2 duo 2.4ghz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

1) Check the RAM with Memtest+

2) Change your PSU if you can, stability problems like you describe are often the cause of a PSU not able to meet the demands of the GPU.

3) Brand new WHQL Vista drivers are on Windows Update as of now 101.70 so try those as well in conjunction with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Ok,

Did a memtest, everything appears grand,

My PSU is a 850W so that shouldnt be a problem

Installed the new wvista updates, and re-installed the nvidia drivers, unfortunately still no change.

Im seeing this error which i know is a hardware issue,

Thumb1.jpeg

Im also a little worried about my BIOS splash screen because i know this isnt right :)

thumb2.JPG

That bios shot is not right at all and indicates that it is a hardware issue so no amount of tweaking software is going to solve it.

Scenario 1: The graphics card is defective nothing you can do except replace it, you could confirm by borrowing a GPU from a friend and plug it in to see if the video/bios corruption persists.

Scenario 2: The PSU is defective and not delivering power properly to the GPU.

Scenario 3: Bios bug or incompatibility of sorts only solution is to update motherboard bios to latest version and clear CMOS afterwords (make sure PEG link mode is set to disabled in Asus bios).

Scenario 4: Cooling problem, heat build-up in card though this is unlikely if the corruption on screen at post when the machine has been off for some period of time.

Scenario 5: Anything else really, total long shots, re-seat the GPU in it's slot change the power cables going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I had the exact same problem as you with drivers.
    ive got a nvidia GeForce 8800gts and tried initially putting vista ultimate 32bit on it, but alas it was to no avail as the drivers just did not want to work with vista (even tho i did numerous reinstalls, and tried several different drivers from different places), so i just gave up and went back to xp pro.(seeing as there is absolutely nothing wrong with xp, vista is prettier, but too many bugs at the moment) so i figure i wait a while until vista becomes a little more stable.
    i know its a pain in the hole

sebastianlieken Landa2's problem cannot be related to Windows as the bios post with it's display corruption happens before any part of Windows loads ergo there must be a hardware conflict or defective component in the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's faulty hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ohh, yeah thats definitely a hardware defect. I had those BIOS artifacts before and its caused by faulty memory on the card. Send it back ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I had something like this before.. trying to reinstall windows ive an 8800GTX and when I booted after installing all I got was coloured shapes and numers and my pc sounding like it was in agony with beeping.. :D

All I did was take out the cmos battery and replaced it and that fixed it..?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I had something like this before.. trying to reinstall windows ive an 8800GTX and when I booted after installing all I got was coloured shapes and numers and my pc sounding like it was in agony with beeping.. :D

All I did was take out the cmos battery and replaced it and that fixed it..?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gerbrady

Had this very same blue screen and and tried another power suppy which fixed my problem. Most likly a dodgy power supply or mainboard its really hard to pinpoint this one so the best thing is to send it back

• Advertisement
Advertisement