Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does an employers letter really affect the waiting time?

• 11-04-2007 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Does an employers letter actually make a difference to cutting a persons waiting time, because it seems like most people send a letter from their employer stating they need a licence for work. Does it shave off weeks or months?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I believe you get a cancellation if you use an employer's letter. Means you can get called a day before the test.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it will definitely help get you on the cancellation list, which could bring you up very quickly or not depending on the who cancels and how many are on the list. Most people I know have gotten their test pretty quickly this way..

Of course just applying for a cancellation may be just as quick but the letter does no harm so I don't know anyone who has gone for a cancellation without one.

edit: above post came in before me, most people get more than a days notice, it all depends on when the person whos slot it was cancels, I remember I got a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

copacetic wrote:
    it all depends on when the person whos slot it was cancels, I remember I got a couple of weeks.
    In your case the person who cancelled gave more than 10 days notice and therefore did not forfeit their fee. However many give very little notice or none at all. It is possible to get called at very short notice to fill such a cancellation.

Some people write "I am willing to be tested at very short notice" on the top of the application form and regularly ring to enquire about cancellations. Up to half of the available tests in some centres are not carried out due to 'no shows'.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

In your case the person who cancelled gave more than 10 days notice

well, duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I applied for the test in Churchtown/Rathgar at the end of October 2006 along with a letter from my boss and got 2 weeks notice for a test in the first week of December so I guess it does work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I did it about 7 years ago. I wrote a letter up on headed paper from work and got my boss to sign it. From the day I posted off the application to the day I received my licence in the post took 4 weeks. A friend of mine who'd done the test 6 months before my test, had applied a full 12 months previously.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I applied for my test on March 5th and sent in a letter from work there about 3 weeks ago, just rang the RSA and they told me I was outsourced to SGS and gave me a number to ring. I rang that number and now have my test next Friday so less than 2 months after applying. Would have had it sooner if I had of rang up earlier.

RING RING RING, will speed up the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

ringing and telling them you will need it asap after sending in a letter from work helps too. i sent mine in along with a letter i typed up in work that I signed myself and i think it only took a few weeks.

Advertisement