Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Novel what I Wrote...

• 11-04-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I was basically thinking of posting up the novel (what I recently wrote) on here, as a series of chapters, but each chapter is about 1,000 - 2,000 words and I didn't want to offend to powers that be by generating huge posts.

Would it be alright with the mods if I done so?

(btw, grammatical errors in this post are intentional and are done as an homage to Messers. Morcombe and Wise).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I was basically thinking of posting up the novel (what I recently wrote) on here, as a series of chapters, but each chapter is about 1,000 - 2,000 words and I didn't want to offend to powers that be by generating huge posts.

Would it be alright with the mods if I done so?

(btw, grammatical errors in this post are intentional and are done as an homage to Messers. Morcombe and Wise).

Howdy, DublinWriter.

Fire away with the first chapter (I'm not a mod btw). However, I'd wait until you get feedback on this first chapter and then if you think you've gained from any critique that you make changes (if any) in your second chapter before posting.

So, what kind of book is it? 1 to 2 k words per chapter seems quite small for a novel - Is it a children's book?

You could also go mad and post a synopsis to give us an idea of where you're going.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Apologies, I meant about 10K-20K per chapter.

It's basically a crime novel set in Ireland in 1998 and the plot revolves around the hunt for a serial killer.

I'll wait for a yes or no from a mod as I don't want to be generating massive posts if they aren't allowed.

Apologies, I meant about 10K-20K per chapter.

Yeah - that'd be huge. I would suggest you post a max of 2k words at a time.

Take me for me example. I wouldn't commit to reviewing 10k words. But I would be willing to read and critique at least the first 1 to 2 k words. And who knows from there...

I'd imagine you'd be a lot more successful in general uploading a more modest amount than a full chapter. :D

If things work out you might upload the entire book in sequence, just not chapter by chapter, eh? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Why dont you just post each chapter up on a website and put a link on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

in this case eyes. I think a link would be better however. Would be easier to read to on a full page then on a board.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

You could have sent me a pm about this op.

Please Do not actually copy and paste words, provide a link instead for interested parties to be redirected to your book
    it would be too much text for the pages here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Congratulations on getting the work done, first of all!

And if you are going to host it, I would be definitely interesting in both reading it and voicing my comments here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just a quick note incase you are thinking of someday publishing this. So far as I'm aware, some publishers refuse to accept manuscripts that have already had significant airing.

I was listening to BBC5 today and apparently a lot of authors are now publishing the first two or three chapters online, gaining feedback and submitting the feedback with their publications. This seems to be acceptable to most publishing houses but posting entire manuscripts may cause you some trouble if you do intend to publish.

DublinWriter is a pure tease! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks to the many that replied here.

I bumped into a literary agent friend of mine (not my agent, I'm not that posh, famous or rich enough!) who warned me about posting unpublished work up on an Internet forum. It's a complete legal minefield in terms of Irish copyright law. Even putting up a plot synopsis can be a very dangerous thing to do. She also told me that the whole thing about posting it to yourself in a sealed envelope is a complete urban myth and offers you about as much legal protection as a tinfoil hat.

The main reason I wanted to post sections of it up on here was to see what people honestly thought about the style and pace of writing, as I intend doing about three months of revision on my initial text and I was just looking for some free pointers.

However, there are two background chapters I do intend to post online very soon, as they don’t really give away the overall plot or premise of the story.

Obviously, thanks to the mod’s advice, I won’t post here, but I’ll just post links to whatever site I will eventually post the chapters onto.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement