Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you rest before a race day-10k

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am back into running after a long ong lay off.
    I would not usally train 2/3 days before a race but others have suggested as much as a week.

Any advice and opnions please as I want a 45 and it is just beyond what I have done of late.
    I will need every advantage to do it on the day.

So rest from now til Sun or one more session?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Completely depends on what level of fitness you're at. Also depends on whether you're carrying any niggles, tightness or injuries.

I'll be going for an easy 5 miler tonight and tomorrow night with a rest on Saturday before Sunday's 10K, but at this stage in my training a 5 miler is a short run for me. I'll be doing Bupa to work on my speed, most of my training is targeted at much longer distances now.

I don't think a week's rest is required. Can't really give you any recommendations, though, without knowing the type of training you've been doing. Are you out running once a week, 5 times a week? If you're used to not training 2/3 days before a race and that has worked for you before then you'd probably be ok to go for a very easy 3 or 4 miler tonight. The fact that you're back from injury you should take it very easy. Maybe go for a longish walk tonight and tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Doing a 10k tonight, prob a 6/7 tomorrow.
    Rest Sat.

That said i'm doing the run with friends so prob won't be going all out but it'd be nice to see the sign for 2/3km out and have good run at it, annoying the slogers as I pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Clum wrote:
    Completely depends on what level of fitness you're at. Also depends on whether you're carrying any niggles, tightness or injuries.

level of fittness? would be good, I am aiming at a 10k in 45.
    My favoured dist is 5k however so I will be digging deep at the end. I have had a tendancy since coming back to cramp above the knee in the thigh towards 7/8k and I do carry a niggle.

I think Ill lay off anything vigorous so, til the day.

Advertisement