Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im most scared of...

Options
  • 11-04-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Putting on thermal paste...

Im close to finishing builing my pc just have to order cpu and and ram.. have everything else!

What im most worried about is putting on thermal paste properly!

So what I decided to do was ask ye guys on here(this is where you ms paint skills come in handy.. or photoshop I dont mind)

middle_1155351793.jpg

Put thermal paste on this :D

with a little description

Also Im getting a core2duo 6600 with the zalman 9500 fan :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok first get ac5.
    then put a tiny bit of ac5 on (rice grain size)
    then put the cooler on and turn it 45^ each way a few times make shure the cooler is on tight.

thats it very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This sized ammount of therrmal paste will be fine. It is your choice if you want to spread it ( with a credit card or similar ) or let the weight of the cpu cooler spread it out.

middle1155351793jn6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

love ur sigm anti :D

its better then the sig2big i was left with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

THanks for the replys.. Im aware its easy but I just dont want to screw it up..

So all I need is a little bit and put on the cooler to let it spread around!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote:
    This sized ammount of therrmal paste will be fine. It is your choice if you want to spread it ( with a credit card or similar ) or let the weight of the cpu cooler spread it out.

middle1155351793jn6.jpg

thats wrong, read the AS5 guide, for C2D's you have to put a line on TIM down the middle of the CPU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

L31mr0d wrote:
    thats wrong, read the AS5 guide, for C2D's you have to put a line on TIM down the middle of the CPU

See theres so many ways people do it :O lol

L31mr0d wrote:

I have tried both on my c2d, makes no difference at all mate.

@OP Try both ways, and go with the one you see that gives the best effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I also used the bog standard 'grain o' rice' on my C2D and no problems at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just don't apply the apple philosophy of "more is better" with TIM, they seem to employ bricklayers to apply the stuff.

Tis a fine wall, but tis no heatsink!

Advertisement