Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steorn - Fri 13th

• 11-04-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Just for the amusement, I thought you might like to know that Steorn claim they will be releasing an update on the 'Jury process', which is supposed to be investigating their technology, this Friday (13th Apr).

No doubt it will contain nothing definite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

should be interesting.......yeah right
    why do the words "snake oil" keep running through my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

'Twill be interesting to see for what crazy reason they decided it was necessary to spend 75K sterling on that advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

u doubters w1ll all be wrong. Steorn will hav nrg saving powas and save the whole universe, lol. Thermodynamics, pfft, rules were made to be broken tbh.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    'Twill be interesting to see for what crazy reason they decided it was necessary to spend 75K sterling on that advert.

75k is a pittance compared to how much Steorn will be worth once it floats on the stock market:) These guys will change the world as we know it! or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Friday the 13th:eek: , here's hoping it won't be unlucky for some (poor fool of an investor):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Friday the 13th:eek: , here's hoping it won't be unlucky for some (poor fool of an investor):rolleyes:
    u r just biassed (two asses, lol).

Seriously though, I'd expect that they are either going to reveal it was all some marketing ploy or they'll say something ambiguous like "Although the Jury could not confirm our technology was indeed over unity, all on the jury agreed that there was some unexplained statistical effects."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I really wondering how they're going to get the media momentum working again like last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Friday 13th is a smart move , given its negative connotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Son Goku wrote:
    "Although the Jury could not confirm our technology was indeed over unity, all on the jury agreed that there was some unexplained statistical effects."

Damn, you should be in PR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

So any word yet??? Have the heathens seen the light (one the can power with a neverending clean fuel source)

• Advertisement

I bet they've got a gerbil in that machine somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Jimoslimos wrote:

Dunno about that - the company, sadly, could actually be worth quite a lot of money, even when their perpetual energy device doesn't quite deliever the expected results. If their patent filing is successful, any semi-perpetual motion that uses the vague method they've outlined to create energy is their prior art and that can (and no doubt would) claim royalties on it, or lauch a fairly hefty law suit.

Which is reason enough to send 75k on an ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

daveirl wrote:

http://www.steorn.com/orbo/validation/

Not a lot of information but some degree of honesty about the "potential".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I've been waiting a while to see a proper description of their technology, they had a blank space on this section of the site saying they would update soon:

http://steorn.com/orbo/technology/

This is supposed to be a description of their technology?!

It basically says:
    "Motion creates electricity, we have a perpetual motion machine, therefore we have free electricity"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

"Motion creates electricity, we have a perpetual motion machine, therefore we have free electricity"

Thats were it all falls apart.

"Motion creates electricity" This is not true. It can be converted to electricty.

A perpetual motion (if possible) would go forever at consent speed if given a push, there is zero friction.
    Once a dynamo is conected, this introduces friction, et voila it starts to slow down.

just like the way it got harder to pedal a bike once the light dynamo was flipped into place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

aren't they supposed to announce something on July 7 in London ??

Thats right, we're due some more wishy washy propaganda alright.

I heard an interesting thing today about this whole fiasco. Apparently theie CEO gave a lecture in UCD (or possibly TCD) about their technology etc. At the end there was a Q&A where a lowly student had the gall to ask:
    "If this thing really works why didn't you just bring it in and put it running on the table?"
    I've no idea how the guy responded, but I imagine it was the usual nonsense.

Says a lot for Steorn IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

daveirl wrote:
    And humans have used fire for hundreds of thousands of years before the physics was fully understood. However they both follow the fundamental laws of thermodynamics under which the entire subject is pretty much based. There is a difference here...

As I said to my economist friend the other day, the way to solve poverty is simply to print more money...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Oh yes there is, a simple demonstration would suffice for the time being.

I think you're mistaking proving for understanding.

in this video seems the 1st of december now ??

although this thread says first week in July http://www.steorn.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=52341&page=1&Focus=2002841

and snwers some questions here : http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/2007/04/steorns_long_promised_first_qu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

daveirl wrote:

Course it works. Honest guv. And I have a nice bridge to sell you too.

What is the scam? Same as it always is....gull some investors out of cash.

So apparently there's a live webcast tonight:
    "Sceptics can view the device lifting a weight from four different camera angles online." ooh, four!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0704/steorn.html

Due to technical difficulties we will now be live from the 5th July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Will be interesting to see this.

I still think that they genuinely believe that they are on to something, that may convert some sort of low-level ambient environmental fluctuations into mechanical power (maybe a bit like a crystal radio converting RF into electrical current). But will more than likely prove extremely difficult to scale up, due to some fundamental limits on the cost vs. efficiency of recovering this energy.

The fact that the initial claim seems quite simple, yet has not been demonstrated at a significant level yet (assuming there are moderate funds available), suggests that even if there is some energy retrieval taking place, there are also large problems inherent in the scaling up process.

I don't see much benefit for them in it being a complete scam however. They would gain some short-term publicity, people would chuckle for a while at the crazy paddies and then forget them. Not much point in that, unless you can run away with some venture capital funds.. ...and if it's just a fiendishly elaborate marketing ploy? again it will be amusing for a couple of seconds before fading into obscurity..

The low-level cheesiness of the promo vids does set off alarm bells though, if the initial claim didn't already...

A Q&A session with someone who doesn't have his homework done
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-410336726209552529&hl=en-GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Oh yes there is, a simple demonstration would suffice for the time being.
    On that point, 2 professors that I know of in UCD (one physicist & one engineer) signed up separately to see the perpetual motion machine. On both days Steorn had a different excuse not to show it to them.

I know it's not statistically sound to base a conclusion on two samples but I know that if I had a perpetual motion machine I'd want to show it to everyone I met. These guys seem to be going to great lengths to find different excuses to not show it to anyone.

John_C wrote:
    On that point, 2 professors that I know of in UCD (one physicist & one engineer) signed up separately to see the perpetual motion machine. On both days Steorn had a different excuse not to show it to them.

I know it's not statistically sound to base a conclusion on two samples but I know that if I had a perpetual motion machine I'd want to show it to everyone I met. These guys seem to be going to great lengths to find different excuses to not show it to anyone.

Sure its a small sample, but it seems a very prestigious one. If some physics or engineering professors wanted to see such a machine and it worked I'd agree that they'd be first in he queue. If you look at that video I posted all the people there seem to hero worship the CEO and nobody asks an particularly awkward questions. Steorn fanboys perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Hmmm. He spends most of his time talking about getting a mobile phone, talking about London, his wife and drinking Guinness.

He briefly mentions pulling a theorem from Wikipedia that he didn't need.

Once again Steorn fail to produce anything to support their claims.

There's some statistical analysis of some data from Steorn a directory above your link also that some may find interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

It doesn't invalidate what he says. He says that he can see the problems but he can't tell us what they are. He doesn't belive Steorn.

What is magnetic viscosity.

MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Well in fact he does believe Steorn - he doesn't think they are trying to pull a scam, but that they are mis-interpreting whatever results they found. Which seems close to the mark.

• Advertisement

He believes Steorn believe it but he thinks they are deluded. On the steorn discussion board he compares Steorn to the film A Beautifull Mind. So maybe Sean McCarthy is schizophrenic but why are the other 25 members of staff still there?

What is magnetic viscosity.

MM

found this link...
    http://www.madpages.com/fe/

got this from a poster (Lister) on the steorn website...
    "Magnetic viscosity is a well known 'phenomenon' (at least relatively speaking) and the reason for its existence is also well understood. However that is hardly reason to believe that free energy could be produced from it - quite the contrary, it is an energy loss mechanism. (Loss meaning that useful energy is converted into low grade heat)"

Advertisement