Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden garden furniture

Options
  • 11-04-2007 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

That time of the year againwhen thoughts turn to wine and food in my back garden .

Could anyone recommend a good garden furniture retailer that does not charge the earth .
    Looking for a round table ,eight chairs or therabouts .Hopefully one that does not need much maintenance and can be left out in the rain with no difficulty to its lifespan.
    i know the usual suspects in hardware retail ..ie woodies etc ,however they all seem flimsy and i wonder would they last .???

Many thanks in advance for any help to a first time posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've been on the look out myself and agree that what's available in the likes of Woodies, Atlantic etc. is not going to last more than one or two seasons in the Irish weather. Prices of good quality teak graden furniture is outrageous in this country. Prices for what your looking for, seem to run between €3000-€5000 in the garden centres.

I'm in the process of getting a set off ebay.co.uk but have had to arrange my own delivery as the seller only delivers to the UK. It's still well worthwhile as it will end up costing approx. €750 for something that retails here around €3000!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Agree with you about the teak.
    Sounds like you got great value via EBAY - was it difficult to arrange the transport and did you get caught for any import taxes or such like .?What were the details of what you got?

Re my location- Dublin .
    Thanks to all for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I came across this ebay seller recently, they ship to here and prices are good for heavy duty teak furniture:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hardwood-Garden-Furniture-Bench-Chair-Table-Patio-Set_W0QQitemZ140105951122QQihZ004QQcategoryZ112588QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Remember Lidl (and maybe Aldi) will have wooden gardn furniture coming on stream soon ;)

• Advertisement

starman100 wrote:
    I came across this ebay seller recently, they ship to here and prices are good for heavy duty teak furniture:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hardwood-Garden-Furniture-Bench-Chair-Table-Patio-Set_W0QQitemZ140105951122QQihZ004QQcategoryZ112588QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I had spotted that one aswell but didn't want the bench seats, they have a website where you can buy different combinations it's www.alfresia.com but it was getting pricey with 6 carvers. note: that set isn't teak but seems to be good quality none the less.

In the end I decided to spend more again and go for this 1.8m table & 6 chairs they also have a larger 2.4m version with 8 chairs.

Luckily I have a mate in the furniture trade who will bring it over on a load for me :D.

invest4deepvalue.com

I think i may have found what we are after .
    Located in Naas ,imports it himself.
    very solid ,teak extending table for eight with two reclining carvers and 6 seats ...2000 euros.
    Seems well made,solid and without a load of screw in joints which eventually fall apart.

Anyone see much better locally .

Many thanks to all for taking the interest and time to post replies ,it is much appreciated.

Thanks Dummy.
    Looks interesting price wise.
    Tell me though what sort of wood is it .
    And with all the self assembly is it not going to fall apart over time
    Popped into atlantic amognst other stores today and all their sets seemed to be flimsy and shake when you sit or even put ones hand on the back of them
    What was the self assembly like and how long did it take you .
    BTW many thanks for your post ...you have me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

bemmet wrote:
    I think i may have found what we are after .
    Located in Naas ,imports it himself.
    very solid ,teak extending table for eight with two reclining carvers and 6 seats ...2000 euros.
    Seems well made,solid and without a load of screw in joints which eventually fall apart.

Anyone see much better locally .

Many thanks to all for taking the interest and time to post replies ,it is much appreciated.

Can you post details of this guy. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Bemmet - Sorry for delay coming back to you. The packaging is in the recycling centre already and I am no expert in wood so I have no idea what type of wood it is. The chairs are good strong chairs and likewise the table. It's good enough for me to leave in the garden for the next few months.

All in all, my 3 year old (the construction expert) and I had the whole thing together in about 1 hour.

I am pleased with the purchase.

D

Think it was called the outside centre,
    Directions to it ..
    turn left at the big black ball into naas off dual carriage way .. drive on tofirst round about on way into town, near gaa grounds ,swing left and next left ,in an industrial estate you will find him
    Very helpful guy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There are signs for "Solid Teak" outdoor furniture sale this weekend at Three Rock Rovers/Grange Road Rathfarnham.

GreeBo wrote:
    There are signs for "Solid Teak" outdoor furniture sale this weekend at Three Rock Rovers/Grange Road Rathfarnham.

Probably this crowd, Irish Trading Co.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do-more wrote:
    Probably this crowd, Irish Trading Co.
    "Date 28th and 29th April 10AM - 6PM"
    Yep, any experience of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GlobeTrottin

I bought some from a place in Blessington about a month ago. Smallish selection but good quality and reaonably priced compared to other stuff I saw. Found him on the internet www.gardendecor.ie. We've been using the furniture now for the last few weeks of good weather and it all seems pretty good so far. Seems to be a guy who imports it himself and sells it out of a warehouse. He also delivered it and assembled it for us before taking away all the rubbish and cardboard that came with it. Definitely was impressed by the sevrice. The website also says they do aluminium, but they didn't have any in stock when I was there.

GreeBo wrote:
    "Date 28th and 29th April 10AM - 6PM"
    Yep, any experience of them?

Have never bought from them, but they have been around for a long time (5-7 years?) selling Mahogany beds and Garden Furniture.

Just priced up a similar set to the one I bought on ebay (see post 7) for €610 & shipping from UK (would probably cost €150) and Irish Trading's price is €1352! :eek: Still that's a much better price than similar sets in my local Garden centres. Thats pricing off their website adding up all individual items, they may have better package deals on the day or haggle, haggle haggle!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I bought some from a place in Blessington about a month ago. Smallish selection but good quality and reaonably priced compared to other stuff I saw. Found him on the internet www.gardendecor.ie. We've been using the furniture now for the last few weeks of good weather and it all seems pretty good so far. Seems to be a guy who imports it himself and sells it out of a warehouse. He also delivered it and assembled it for us before taking away all the rubbish and cardboard that came with it. Definitely was impressed by the sevrice. The website also says they do aluminium, but they didn't have any in stock when I was there.
    I was talking to these guys in Punchestown a couple of weeks ago. They seemed sound enough alright. If you're within a certain radius they promise to assemble the stuff and take away the rubbish which, to me, is damn good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Sper-value are doing a special 199 + the stamps for the garden furniture set if interested.

Garyh3

Thanks to all ....
    seems like the garden decor site at 1350 for a teak table ,6 chairs ,cushion and parasol is about as good as it gets.
    Off tomorrow morning to define between naas or gerden decor in blessington.

weather forecast tells me that weather will change before i buy ..
    he who hesitates...... is lost!

many thanks to all who contributed thoughts,comments and advice
    much appreciated.

my first time in here......invaluable site

• Advertisement
Advertisement