Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway or cork

Options
  • 11-04-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

whats a better place to live/work for a single guy as far as having the crack/night life and things to do are concerned cork city or galway city include limerick and waterford as well if you want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Both are great cities with great people and a good pub scene. There's much more to do in Cork if you're not into pubs/clubs, such as theaters, art galleries, Fota etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

and the water supply is marginally better in Cork too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I wouldn't knock Galway, its a great spot. But Cork does seem to have a wider spread of people to meet, things to do, interesting galleries, theatres, etc. Plus, it's cork like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Lived in Galway for a while, great place but for me Cork has better range of nightlife (clubs, theatres, events, etc) and a better range of shops, some brilliant restaraunts and certainly job prospects.

I also think Cork is just a nicer City with the vistas from the hills, the hodge podge nature of the architecture, the way ships sail right up to the city centre, the harbour setting, the quirky way our streets are laid out to reflect the quirky ways of our citizens (some would say mad) and just the general way the place is different to the rest of Ireland. (and please don't start going on about the peoples republic or the real capital, it was only a joke which even we don't believe)

Having said all that you would expect that from a city more than three times the size and anyway you're asking Cork people in a Cork forum. Of course there is going to be only one answer!

One thing Galway does have though is the city beach, we have to travel to Myrtleville (nearest) Oh and the Galway races, if you're into losing an absolute fortune in 24 hrs.

As for Limerick and Waterford. I always think Waterford is a place people tend to dismiss but it is a city in a lovely setting. Limerick you would just have to admire the way they just went ahead and completely redeveloped the city centre. Some excellent buildings have gone up there recently despite all the negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

The Galway arts festival is always a good laugh. Its on at the end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Being from Limerick, I went to college in Galway and have friends and family in Cork so I've good experience of 3 of the 4 places you've mentioned.

Personally, I love Limerick, but between Cork and Galway it has to be Cork. It's a bigger city, so there's more going on there, it's pubs are as good as Galways but in most other things (arts, concerts, etc) it's better. The women are definately more attractive. It has better sporting facilities, and West Cork is far, far more beautiful than Connemara (which is unspeakably bleak imo).

Galway probably has the edge in the summer with the festivals, and God knows, the Cork accent is downright unbearable at times but overall i'd go with Cork.

Now, not to be dismissive of Limerick, it's a fine place, but fun wise, it's behind both Cork and Galway, less festivals, less tourists and the city centre is a building site, and will be a building site, for the next 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i love galway and i do want to live there and some point but id pick cork as well there are gigs galore for what ever floats your boat galway might have the arts festival and the races but we have the marquee with a very good line up this year if i do say so myself. and the cork accent is not that bad like.heard good things about waterford too from friends that live there but i have never visited there so cant say too much bout it

Advertisement