Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow torrent downloads

Options
  • 11-04-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Ok, i know this was up before but the thread's been locked and I really need help. I've set the port to 14390 on Utorrent and i've opened the relevent port 14390 on the my netopia router but no joy! Download speeds reach max of 6 kbps. Anything I'm still doing wrong? I've tried both static and fixed IP addresses. I've tried opening both TCP and UDP seperate and together. Any help greatly greatly appreciated. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ok, i know this was up before but the thread's been locked and I really need help. I've set the port to 14390 on Utorrent and i've opened the relevent port 14390 on the my netopia router but no joy! Download speeds reach max of 6 kbps. Anything I'm still doing wrong? I've tried both static and fixed IP addresses. I've tried opening both TCP and UDP seperate and together. Any help greatly greatly appreciated. :o

and I bet your isp is NTL?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Download from Play.com, Tesco, Virgin, HMV. Bad ping time but big 700MByte and 9GByte packets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Check out www.portforwarding.com just in case u made a mistake. Also if UPnP is available on the client and the router you can use this.

Also check out the FAQ's and help section for your torrent client as you may have missed something.

Search google for phases like "tweak utorrent" etc as you may some blogs or guides on how to configure it correctly or better.

Reboot system and router if its been running for a while

Just as a test for maybe 30 mins unlimit upload speeds as sometimes if this is set to a very low setting you will find you get less DL speeds due to server/peer restrictions. Also dont leave it unrestricted as you will be flooded with traffic.

Finally as mentioned by Watty test your overall internet connection speed as this may the issue rather than just torrent DL speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Are you getting the little green tick in the bottem? if so then everything is forwarded properly and it is most likely you isp throttleing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Or you're using crappy TPB style torrents with 10 seeds and 1000000 leechers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Turn off thenetopia router firewall or drop it down a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you've got the wrong ports open

you need to open ports 6881-6889 with nat

once they are open you should see a vast improvement.

and never turn off your firewall/drop it down a level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

you've got the wrong ports open

you need to open ports 6881-6889 with nat

once they are open you should see a vast improvement.

and never turn off your firewall/drop it down a level.

The port numbers don't matter. What matters is that the same ports are forwarded on your NAT router as are defined in your uTorrent settings. uTorrent will work with only one port open. No need to open a range.

Also you don't say if you're using the built in firewall in Windows. If you are or if you're using any software firewall you'll have to have that opened on your ports too.

afaik and from what i've tried it never works as well as the default ports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

afaik and from what i've tried it never works as well as the default ports

Ah it does. I've got two machines at home. One using uTorrent and port 60000 and another using Torrentflux on ports 60001 - 60010 (TF needs one port for each file downloaded). I can max out my link with either machine with the right torrents.

• Advertisement

strange, whenever i have tried it on different ports it never worked.
    same goes for different ports on different clients, ie azureus, shareazaa and torrentstorm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

i too use high ports out of the normal range and have not expeariance any problems.

i too use high ports out of the normal range and have not expeariance any problems.

for example ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

i have ntl and use utorrent with port 37347 forwarded. i was slow for a while up till a few weeks ago but i'm back to normal now. i get around 500-700 on a well seeded torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Consider this a friendly reminder that any discussion of downloading tv/warez/movies/etc is not allowed here. Anyone that posts anything even vaguely along those lines will be banned for a week.

i have ntl and use utorrent with port 37347 forwarded. i was slow for a while up till a few weeks ago but i'm back to normal now. i get around 500-700 on a well seeded torrent.

yeah that seems to work better, allot faster now. Seemed to have slowed down from the other ports I was using.

Advertisement