Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket but typo error....

Options
  • 11-04-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I got a speeding ticket in the post. It was written something like Murphy Joan when it should have been John Murphy (example)
    Having given my licence to the garda and seeing him standing at the back of the car writing into his notebook I would have expected better from him?What would you do? pay up or challenge on a technicality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Just pay up - if it goes to court the guard can just get the details changed on the summons, the judge won't be impressed and you'll get double the points.

Same thing happened with me - checked it out with my solicitor / girlfriend!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could send it back as "no such person", but do so in a nice way, so it doesn't look like you are avoiding it. Otherwise you just annoy the cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kdevitt wrote:
    Just pay up - if it goes to court the guard can just get the details changed on the summons, the judge won't be impressed and you'll get double the points.

Same thing happened with me - checked it out with my solicitor / girlfriend!

I'm not buying it. Your full of ****. Go peddle your filthy lies elsewhere.

Did you really think we'd buy such obvious bull?

A woman solicitor, ha. You nearly had me for a min.:D "

" sorry for the unfunny joke, I just like to be involved. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I had a similar situation but it was a digit short on the reg. number a couple of years ago, my solicitor had to fight my corner for me and the cop tried to rectify the problem but the judge threw it out but only just. Cost me 500 euros though in legal costs.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junkyard wrote:
    Cost me 500 euros though in legal costs.:(

Bit of a false economy so? OP is probably better off just paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it goes to court, it can depend on the judge. It may backfire on you as the judge may simply get you to confirm your name and address and alter the details accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say it is worth getting an opinion on the legal forum.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote:
    Bit of a false economy so? OP is probably better off just paying.
    would prob save the money on insurance through not getting the penalty points though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Same sort of thing happened my brother a few months back when he got stopped for speeding. Cop took down reg incorrectly. When he got notification in the post he seen the error and informed the Garda station where the offence happened and they said they'd deal with it and he would hear no more about it. Couple of months passed and a court summons arrived in the post. He went to court and the judge threw it out and was scathing of the Guard and said not to be wasting his time again.

Could be worth contesting it but get legal advice first as judges are very unpredictabe!

furtzy wrote:
    Same sort of thing happened my brother a few months back when he got stopped for speeding. Cop took down reg incorrectly. When he got notification in the post he seen the error and informed the Garda station where the offence happened and they said they'd deal with it and he would hear no more about it. Couple of months passed and a court summons arrived in the post. He went to court and the judge threw it out and was scathing of the Guard and said not to be wasting his time again.

Could be worth contesting it but get legal advice first as judges are very unpredictabe!
    i would imagine the reg being incorrect is very different to the name being incorrect. The reg identifies the car, so if the car was speeding, the owner is automatically liable unless they can prove it was not them driving. So, if the reg is incorrect, the person can't be held responsible, as it is not their car and it can't be proven they were driving it. In the case of the name being incorrect, the car has still been caught speeding, so it is still up to the owner to prove they themselves were not speeding.

That is my understanding of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tauren wrote:
    the car has still been caught speeding
    A mind of its own! :D

A mind of its own! :D
    that damn K.I.T.T always getting people in trouble. :D

You know what i mean damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tauren wrote:
    that damn K.I.T.T always getting people in trouble. :D

You know what i mean damn it!

KITT was good, it was CARR who was bad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You will get the points anyway. Ticket is issued from PULSE, not his notebook. Your details must be wrong on PULSE, but the Garda would have also written down your license number, so you can't escape the ticket.

Best bet is to pay up and take the 2 points. It won't affect insurance if your total is still below 4.

Del2005 wrote:
    KITT was good, it was CARR who was bad;)
    but CARR looked cooler, so you wouldn't mind - butter wouldn't melt under my bonet KITT was a sly one.... speeding in every episode, car chases, turbo boosting OVER JUMPS! Disgracefull. At least CARR didn't hide behind the 'good guys'/

Advertisement