Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS recalculating if wrong turn taken?

• 11-04-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Went to Halfords today to buy a sat nav - but the salesman completely put me off!
    Was looking at the TomTom1 (£180) and a Garmin one (£200).
    He said that if the GPS told me to go left, and instead I went right, it would not recalculate itself and would keep to the original route, and in the process I would get completely lost!
    I was willing to spend more money if it meant that I could get one to recalculate like this, but he said none had this feature.
    Mentioned it to my friend after, and he is almost certain his has this feature!
    The sales guy said that once I took the incorrect turn, I would have to pull in as soon as I realised, and re-enter my new location for it to correct itself!
    I thought they should correct itself automatically? no??
    I am so confused!

(then again he also said I could only search for location by postcode only, and i pointed to the demo model on display, and asked what the address button was for, and he then corrected himself by saying you could search by address)

Basically I went in looking to be sold a top of the range sat nav system, and came out thinking they actually aren't worth the money you spend on them :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

That sounds like rubbish. A friend has an older Garmin unit and once you go off course it will notify you and recalculate in order to get you back onto the original planned route. The only time I remember having a problem with the route recalculation was we went off route in a situation where our slightly out of date map software didn't match a new one-way road layout but that wasn't a problem. I would assume that more recent units do an even better job of this.

TBH I wouldn't trust a shop floor salesman to have correct technical knowledge in most cases where electronic equipment is involved and I sincerely doubt that they'd know which is the better unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Of course they recalculate. Yerman hadn't a clue, I'd say. I have a Garmin Streetpilot c330, and it recalculates almost immediately if I go off course.

It also gives directions according to address, city, shops, petrol stations etc. The database for Ireland isn't as good as the one for the States. One day in West Cork I was asking it for the nearest Chemist's and it told me about dozens of them 200 miles Northeast of me, but none in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

That's what I thought!
    He basically talked himself out of a sale!
    I am heading to Prestwick airport on Saturday morning so need it for then (because if my recent trip to Edinburgh is anything to go by I will get horribly lost)!
    Gonna be bringing my money elsewhere this evening.
    Think I was put off by the salesman as well, instead of talking to me about them, he was shouting - everyone in the shop was looking over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

haha guy from work was in Halford's at the same time as me yesterday, he just called into my office to say he thought I was getting a boll*cking from the salesman!
    He went in to buy one too, but said he would stand back and listen to the salesman, instead of asking him all the same questions again.
    Said he walked a good bit away, could still hear him screaming at me, and not having a clue what he was talking about! He also left without buying anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, the guy was well and truely talking out his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What an idiot. As long as there has been routing, their has been re-routing.
    When in doubt ask if you can see the manual... They tend to be a lot more reliable..

Advertisement