Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone read David Gemmell

Options
  • 12-04-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

subtitle: and how come no one's set up a forum for him!?

well? who else does? :D
    The man should be cannonised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

yeah , the late David Gemmell was a great writer , i think theres lots of fan sites and forums dedicated to him already .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,671 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think there are only around 3 or 4 of his books that i have not read.

Shame we will never get the read the end of the Troy trilogy, or the war of the twins (would have been freakin awesome)

I'm praying Robert Jordon doesn't lose his fight with illness before he finishes the wheel of time - i have put too much time into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

his wife is actually finishing the last book of the troy triliogy , David had actually written most of it and outlined the remaining chapters

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

sure, there are plenty of gemmell forums, but how many irish ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 darthculain

One of the greats. Pity we'll never get the 4th Waylander, or 3rd Skilgannon books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I've only read Dark Moon but thought it was excellent. Ill be looking up the rest of his stuff once I finish a song of Ice & Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

katarin wrote:
    sure, there are plenty of gemmell forums, but how many irish ones?
    Just wondering... how many Irish Gemmell forums do you need? I read a few of his books and I have to say I am not a fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd be a fan, def wouldn't consider him to be one of the best.. but probably one of my favourites.

I love druss, and uh.. i forget :) the coward, who had to wear the golden armour of some lost king defending druss's castle from the uh... mountain people

were they the nadir?.. they were cool

not a great writer, but can think up a great story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

Ok, I have to admit.......... I didn't know he had died!!! How sad am I?:eek: But I have read some of his books, and I did enjoy them, and they are great for pure escapism!

Illkillya wrote:
    Just wondering... how many Irish Gemmell forums do you need? I read a few of his books and I have to say I am not a fan.

well since i havnt come accross one, i just asked.
    fair enough your not a fan, but to be honest your the only person iv come accross to read his books and not be a fan.

definatly rivals LSD for escapism :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Well know you've just met your second :D
    The ones about Alexander the Great were good, the rest was boring. Its just the same as 90% of fantasy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

we could make him a "Legend of the Boards".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm

that's either an awful pun, or a fantastic pun.

i hate pun's so I'm not the person to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I have every one of his books in my collection. I am delighted to hear that his last one is being finished off.

It will make a fitting testament.

Its hard to say whihc are my favourites but i would go with
    Lion of macedon and wolf in shadow for now.

The former because of the period in history and the characterisation and the latter because of the initial characterisation of jon shannow

Though now i come to think of it, the king beyond the gate was up there as well.

and druss was well, druss lol

we could make him a "Legend of the Boards".

hahahaha sorry. if that was intentional, it was hilarious.
    if it wasn't its still hilarious.
    how does one do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

fitzdragon wrote:
    his wife is actually finishing the last book of the troy triliogy , David had actually written most of it and outlined the remaining chapters

It can be pre ordered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Troy-Fall-Kings-David-Gemmell/dp/0593052250/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/202-7075647-6035843?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183025692&sr=8-3

Marksie wrote:
    I have every one of his books in my collection. I am delighted to hear that his last one is being finished off.

It will make a fitting testament.

Its hard to say whihc are my favourites but i would go with
    Lion of macedon and wolf in shadow for now.

The former because of the period in history and the characterisation and the latter because of the initial characterisation of jon shannow

Though now i come to think of it, the king beyond the gate was up there as well.

and druss was well, druss lol
    Lion of Masedon was the first Gemmell book i read - still one of my favourites now, that and Knights of dark Reknown, which was the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

I Read the Rigante series first and loved it got me totally hooked, have read nearly all his novels now....

Great Writer, none of his books have really let me down yet always kept my interest.

RIP David Gemmell

srdb20 wrote:
    I Read the Rigante series first and loved it got me totally hooked, have read nearly all his novels now....

Great Writer, none of his books have really let me down yet always kept my interest.

RIP David Gemmell
    I actually disagree - i think he is a great story teller, but not that great a writer. Most of his books are the same (how many times has it been pointed out that the mountains will stand no matter what man does....) and he seems to go through a word of the year kind of thing, like sibilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

he was my favourite Fantasy author and he will be sorely missed
    my favourites have to be the Shannow books and the Lion of Macedon series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tauren wrote:
    I actually disagree - i think he is a great story teller, but not that great a writer. Most of his books are the same (how many times has it been pointed out that the mountains will stand no matter what man does....) and he seems to go through a word of the year kind of thing, like sibilant.

I definitely agree. I found his books entertaining but as a writer he never really did it for me. A very skilled storyteller but not a great writer imho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

nesf wrote:
    I definitely agree. I found his books entertaining but as a writer he never really did it for me. A very skilled storyteller but not a great writer imho.
    It's actually a trait that many fantasy authors suffer from, I believe. Lots of them can spin great yarns with good characters and fiendish plots but not many are actually skilled writers, often repeating descriptive phrases and character archetypes.

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb at the moment and she, in my opinion, is more the opposite - she's a good writer but there's not much story going on (at least so far in "Soldier's Son"). Regardless, I'm still kept there because I'm drawn in by her style.

As to a writer in the genre whose writing style I truly love (as much as his stories), that goes to China Mieville. The prose can be hard to get through, but he's one of the tiny amount of fantasy authors where I re-read passages just to appreciate the beautiful use of language and imagery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've read all his books I think. I loved most of them. I liked his writing so much for so long that I was quite saddened when I heard he had died.

A lot of people are dismissive or even snobby about his books, saying his writing is cliched.

I find his books inspirational. I have read books by him when I felt down and beaten and they picked me up and gave me spirit. I read a lot of his books while I was a teenager and I am not ashamed to say that some of his characters were role models to me, and therefore his books have probably influenced the person I grew into.

I have heard other people say the same thing about finding role models in his writing. This is probably because his main characters are usually extremely masculine. The only book of his that I didn't finish was Ironhand's Daughter. His femles characters were generally not particularly well realised or interesting, and his best books have them at the periphery.

His early books in particular evoke the setting extremely well. There is a sense of realism or earthiness dispite them being fantasy. Both of which help the escapism of them. He also is superb at writing action scenes.

I liked the way magic was usually kept to a minimum in his stories, which made it seem more mystical and dangerous where it did feature. I particularly liked the way that magic was almost totally absent from the Troy books, but that the characters interpreted normal happenings as magic. This was done so effectively that reading them I was able to see the normal events through the characters eyes as magic.

ixoy wrote:
    It's actually a trait that many fantasy authors suffer from, I believe. Lots of them can spin great yarns with good characters and fiendish plots but not many are actually skilled writers, often repeating descriptive phrases and character archetypes.

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb at the moment and she, in my opinion, is more the opposite - she's a good writer but there's not much story going on (at least so far in "Soldier's Son"). Regardless, I'm still kept there because I'm drawn in by her style.

As to a writer in the genre whose writing style I truly love (as much as his stories), that goes to China Mieville. The prose can be hard to get through, but he's one of the tiny amount of fantasy authors where I re-read passages just to appreciate the beautiful use of language and imagery.

Agreed pretty much. Hobb for me uses the English language quite well in her novels but she does seem to have a bit of trouble keeping you hooked on the story. Another author similar to Gemmel would be Feist, very good at telling stories (imho) but not really that experimental with his characters or themes. Again you could level the same criticism at Eddings who loved his first story so much he decided we needed to hear it again. China Mieville can be a hard read sometimes but the effort is generally worth it.

Fantasy as a genre has a large audience who are in it just for the story. This isn't a bad thing because we get a lot of really great stories told but sometimes it'd be nice to have a few more "wordsmiths" toiling away in the genre.

pwd wrote:
    A lot of people are dismissive or even snobby about his books, saying his writing is cliched.

I find his books inspirational. I have read books by him when I felt down and beaten and they picked me up and gave me spirit. I read a lot of his books while I was a teenager and I am not ashamed to say that some of his characters were role models to me, and therefore his books have probably influenced the person I grew into.

They are cliched if you've read quite a lot of fantasy before finding them. I was the same with Feist, he was one of the first fantasy authors I read and I thought he was very original etc before I got into the genre more.

When it comes down to it Gemmel was a such a good storyteller that despite the cliches his books are very enjoyable and that is not a trivial accomplishment.

ixoy wrote:
    I'm currently reading Robin Hobb at the moment and she, in my opinion, is more the opposite

Funny, I was thinking same thing as I wrote my previous post. I didn't say that because it didn't really fit in with what I was saying.
    Robin Hobb realises complex interesting characters extremely well. The most interesting one being Captain Kennit in the Liveship Traders trilogy in my opinion.
    She is a terrific story-teller also though. Soldier's Son is very very easily her worst book. The sequel is better, but still falls a little flat and is a bit anti-climatic at the end, though it does set the stage well for the third book - so I remain hopeful that will be as good as her earlier ones. You really should check out her earlier books - especially the Liveship Traders.
    I think Robin Hobb is the opposite in many ways to David Gemmel as a writer for several reasons. She uses anti-heroes who generally suffer a lot. Gemmel's characters tend to be idealised in ways and glorious, including Waylander in my opinion. She draws characters far better but does not evoke setting as well as Gemmel. She focuses on details of clothes a lot in her writing, which seems peculiarly feminine. There is far more magic in her books - it is common, and her main characters usually possess some form of magic - I can't think of any protagonist in a Gemmel novel who used magic. Hobb uses far more shades of grey then Gemmel in her writing.

nesf wrote:
    They are cliched if you've read quite a lot of fantasy before finding them. I was the same with Feist, he was one of the first fantasy authors I read and I thought he was very original etc before I got into the genre more.

When it comes down to it Gemmel was a such a good storyteller that despite the cliches his books are very enjoyable and that is not a trivial accomplishment.

Yeah I agree I meant that people often dismiss them because they are cliched and fail to appreciate how good they are despite that.

I read Magician by Feist recently and was very disappointed.

pwd wrote:
    Yeah I agree I meant that people often dismiss them because they are cliched and fail to appreciate how good they are despite that.

I read Magician by Feist recently and was very disappointed.

Fair enough. Magician happens to remain one of my favourite books (first fantasy book I read after Tolkien). That said, I keep it that way by refusing to reread it. I know that the flaws in it would ruin my memories of it if I did.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pwd wrote:
    Robin Hobb realises complex interesting characters extremely well. The most interesting one being Captain Kennit in the Liveship Traders trilogy in my opinion.
    Personally, I always liked the ambiguity of the Fool but my real favourite was Fitz (handily enough). It was her use of the first person narrative that helped here - we really got to know him and see the world through his eyes. It helped us empathise in his moments of anger, justified at times and others clearly irrational. He's always struck me as one of the most believable protagonists of any series I've read.
    She is a terrific story-teller also though. Soldier's Son is very very easily her worst book. The sequel is better, but still falls a little flat and is a bit anti-climatic at the end, though it does set the stage well for the third book - so I remain hopeful that will be as good as her earlier ones. You really should check out her earlier books - especially the Liveship Traders.
    Oh I've read both Assassin trilogies and the Liveship Traders and I didn't mean her story telling abilities were lacking. If nothing else, she's done the best job with re-inventing dragon mythos that I've ever seen. However, I do believe that her greater skill is her ability with writing, in creating characters especially.
    I'm a third of a way into "Soldier's Son" now and it does strike me as weak (by her standards). The fact that nothing much has happened isn't too important in a skilled hand like hers but that I'm not yet drawn to the main character in the same way as Fitz or the Fool, etc. is a bit more so. She's earned the benefit of my doubt though and I've already purchased "Forest Mage".

There is far more magic in her books - it is common, and her main characters usually possess some form of magic - I can't think of any protagonist in a Gemmel novel who used magic. Hobb uses far more shades of grey then Gemmel in her writing.
    I wouldn't have thought Hobb made any particularly strong use of magic, not when compared to others such as Erikson or Feist, where the spells can shatter continents.

One thing I've noticed in passing, and it's certainly not a rule, is that female fantasy writers tend more towards characterisation, generally putting their characters through some sort of hell (e.g. Janny Wurts, Kate Elliott, Robin Hobb) whereas male writers tend more towards the world building, politics, sagas and mechanics of magic (Steven Erikson, George R.R. Martin, David Gemmell). It's not that they don't share some skill in both, but there seems to be a stronger emphasis on different areas between the two sexes (IMO of course).

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought Hobb made any particularly strong use of magic, not when compared to others such as Erikson or Feist, where the spells can shatter continents.

In comparison to Gemmell she uses magic a great deal. I haven't read Erikson, and only read one book by Feist, so I can't compare her books with theirs really, but magic is unusually prevalent (rather than unusually powerful) in most of Hobb's books. In the Assassin trilogies and the Liveship Traders almost all her main characters possess some form of magic. Some of the characters are even born of magic.
    ixoy wrote:
    One thing I've noticed in passing, and it's certainly not a rule, is that female fantasy writers tend more towards characterisation, generally putting their characters through some sort of hell (e.g. Janny Wurts, Kate Elliott, Robin Hobb) whereas male writers tend more towards the world building, politics, sagas and mechanics of magic (Steven Erikson, George R.R. Martin, David Gemmell). It's not that they don't share some skill in both, but there seems to be a stronger emphasis on different areas between the two sexes (IMO of course).

I think so too.

Advertisement